Relocate to Sweden Through Master Studies

3 minute read
Relocate to Sweden Through Master Studies

Sweden among other Scandinavian countries like Denmark and Norway since decades has been the flag bearer of sustainable living across the globe. The education system of Sweden ranked amongst the best nations in the world. Pioneering R&D in multiple fields, the Swedish government spends a higher proportion of GDP on R&D than any other country. Being one of the most innovative and responsible nations in the world, Sweden has blessed the world with revolutionary technologies like pacemakers and safety matches apart from the well-known Spotify and Skype.  With a long history of imparting academic excellence, Swedish universities are technologically advanced with modern state-of-the-art facilities.

Swedish universities are allowing international students to avail numerous benefits like free healthcare, affordable education and better job placements. Sweden is emerging among the top destinations for international students to study. Let’s take a look at how to relocate to Sweden through master studies.

Study Masters in Sweden

The postgraduate education structure in Sweden is based in the line of other European countries which follows the Bologna Process. Master’s Program in Sweden’s higher education system falls under Second Cycle Degree, while Bachelor’s comes under the First cycle and the PhD comes under third cycle degree. Master courses offered by universities in Sweden are worldwide recognised by both institutions and employers.


There is a total of 39 Swedish university which offers approximately a master’s degree to 30K+ international students. The duration of the Master’s program is generally 1-2 years depending on the course curriculum. The PG Course syllabus is covered in a 75:25 ratio to the students which means 75% focus on the theoretical aspect of the course while the remaining 25% is on the practical thesis or project work (both on the field or off-field). 

Also Read: Student Life in Sweden

Working in Sweden

You can work both part-time and full-time (post the completion of studies) in Sweden. This is how you can work in Sweden:

  • Working During Study

Like other study-abroad destinations, international students can also work part-time on their work permit while studying in Sweden. There are no strict fixed working hours for international students in Sweden. Its duration varies generally, it depends on the student’s academic commitment as well as engagement with the university. 

  • Post Study Working 

The full-time work after completion of thestudy program in Sweden entirely dependsupon the student’s nationality. If he/she belongs to the EU, EEA or Switzerland, they can work and live without restrictions. Students belonging to other countries are entitled to remain in Sweden to search for a job in Sweden for only up to six months after completion of their course. If they find suitable work within the given six months then only they can apply for a longer-term work permit.

Also Read: MBA in Sweden for Indian Students

Post-Study Longer Stay in Sweden

Longer duration stays in Sweden require a longer-term resident permit. To get a longer resident permit in Sweden non-EU and EEU international students must live and work continuously for five years. They should have stayed in Sweden on legal grounds for the past five years. Applicants should be able to financially support themselves and their wards/families.

Related Articles: 

Medical Courses in Sweden: Top Universities, Eligibility Criteria, and Best CoursesList of the Safest Countries for Women to Study Abroad!
Student Loan for Studying in SwedenKTH India Scholarship
Top 10 Scholarships for Sweden to Explore in 2023!MS in Sweden


Is Sweden a good option for Masters?

Yes, Sweden is home to some of the most prestigious universities that offer Master’s degrees.

Is Sweden a good option for Masters?

Yes, Sweden has a great reputation for offering top-notch education.

How much CGPA is required for Masters in Sweden?

You usually need an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 to pursue a master’s degree in Sweden.

So, this was all about how you can relocate to Sweden through Master studies. Many Indian students dream of pursuing education in foreign nations due to the exposure and career growth they offer. Consider joining a free counselling session with Leverage Edu if you plan to study abroad.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *