Whenever a student decides to study abroad, there are a lot of things they need to keep in mind while preparing to get admission into their dream university. Of all the entrance exams, preparing for the language proficiency tests can be quite intimidating, especially TOEFL or Test Of English as a Foreign Language. Talking about the TOEFL syllabus, there is one such challenging section that stands out from all the other sections of the exam which is the English Speaking section. It comprises around 4 tasks wherein the candidates have to speak on some special TOEFL speaking topics and record their responses on a microphone. If you are all set to take the TOEFL exam and want to ace the speaking section of the TOEFL exam, then this blog contains some of the most popular and expected TOEFL speaking topics that can help you take your preparations to the next level.
This Blog Includes:
- Types of TOEFL Speaking Topics
- List of TOEFL Speaking Topics
- TOEFL Speaking Topics with Answers
- TOEFL Speaking Topics
- Tips and Tricks to Ace TOEFL Speaking Section
- Best Books for TOEFL Preparation
Before we are headed to the TOEFL speaking topics, let us first clear our concepts about what TOEFL speaking section is really about. The speaking section of TOEFL is approximately 17 to 20 minutes long wherein the candidate has to perform 4 tasks based on expressing an opinion on a familiar topic. The score of the speaking section of TOEFL is based on the candidate’s ability to read, listen, use good grammar, manage time, take notes, pronounce the word correctly and many other minute factors of assessment.
The speaking section is divided into 2 main categories: Independent Tasks (Task 1) and Integrated Tasks (Tasks 2 to 4). Independent Tasks normally involve how well a candidate can speak and express their ideas, thoughts and opinions clearly. Whereas, the Integrated Tasks include the integration of reading/listening along with speaking. Answering integrated questions depends largely on how well a candidate can find logic or ideas in a given text or lecture.
Types of TOEFL Speaking Topics
Here are the different types of TOEFL speaking topics that you must know about:
- Choose From One Option
- Choose From Two Options
- Explain an Opinion on a Campus Issue
- Explain a Lecture Topic
- Explain a Campus Life Problem
- Explain a Lecture
List of TOEFL Speaking Topics
If you are looking to kickstart your preparation for TOEFL, it is important that you are well-aware of all the topics that you going to face during the test scenario. Here are the top 30 popular TOEFL speaking topics for you to help you get a rough idea of the types of questions in the examination.
- Describe some significant features of a restaurant or cafe that you like.
- Would you work in a profession where you are required to work in a group?
- Describe any one of the best moments of your life.
- Childhood is the happiest time in one’s life. Do you agree?
- Describe any of the work experiences you have had before.
- Describe a place in your city that you often like to visit.
- Talk about an important national holiday in your country.
- What subject was your favourite in school?
- What TV programs do you like watching? Entertainment or educational?
- Which of the smartphone functions are most useful to the students? (1) recording lectures (2) listening to
- Describe a moment in your life where you experienced success. Also, talk about why was it a success for you.
- Who is the closest family member? Describe them and explain why do you feel close to them.
- “It is never too late to get a degree.” Do you agree with this statement?
- Specify your favourite tourism attraction in your city or country.
- You are going to choose a roommate for you, which of the following qualities would you look for in an ideal roommate? (1) Friendliness (2) Cleanliness (3) Quietness
- Do you agree that male and female students should have separate residence halls?
- Some people prefer buying a used book while some people prefer buying new books. Which one would you prefer?
- Which mode would you like to prepare for your final project? (1) presentation (2) creating a video (3) writing a paper.
- Do you agree that students should spend more time learning outside the classroom than learning inside the classrooms?
- What do you like to read in your free time? (1) Newspaper (2) magazine (3) book
- If you are going to purchase an expensive product, will you borrow the money to buy it save the money and then purchase the item?
- Which is that one event from your life you would like to revisit once? Describe what was so special in that.
- Describe your favourite recreational activity and talk about why do you love it.
- Who is the most intelligent person you know in your life? Describe them and explain why do you think they are intelligent.
- Talk about your family and describe what sort of activities do you all enjoy doing together and why.
- Which study-aid do you rely the most on?
- Talk about a teacher or guide who had the most positive influence on your life.
- Is it better to reward employees with various job perks and other gifts rather than simply paying them more?
- Your friend from another country is coming to visit you. Which tourist attraction would you take them to?
- Recall one such difficulty that you overcame in your life. Describe your experience.
TOEFL Speaking Topics with Answers
Q. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement that children should help their parents and household chores when they are old enough?
I believe that it is of great benefit that children should help their parents with household chores after a certain age. It is ideal because children can learn valuable skills as it comes handy in later periods of life. During the later years of school, I was responsible for making breakfast for me and my brother before going to school. As a result, when I went out of the state for college it was really easy for me to manage my own meals throughout the day, unlike my other friends. Also, doing home chores together is an ideal opportunity through which parents and children can bond together.
Q. Some people like to watch news programs on television every day, while others prefer watching them only now and then. What is your preference?
I for sure prefer to watch the news only on an occasional basis because of two major reasons. Firstly, spending time watching the news makes me feel anxious sometimes. As it is difficult for me to digest news about disasters. An Extra dose of news, sometimes depresses me, affecting my daily functionality. Secondly, I also believe that it is a waste of time. If I spend 1 hour of my day watching a news broadcast, then, I will surely miss out on some important things of my day.
Q. These days using extreme methods suggest surgery to change your physical appearance has become common. People generally do it because they want to look more attractive. Do you think this is a good idea? Support your answer with details and examples.
I think it is a great idea to get your body altered as per your choices. I can support my argument with two reasons such as- having your body as per your choice can boost your self-confidence. Generally, people are hesitant about one or the other physical aspect of the personality, but through plastic surgery, we can easily overcome it leading to a better and content life. Apart from this, plastic surgeries give one the privilege to undo the changes made if they are unhappy with their results. I myself have recently corrected the shape of my nose through plastic surgery as per my choice.
TOEFL Speaking Topics
Now that we are familiar with a list of TOEFL Speaking topics, let us now take into consideration some category wise topics-
TOEFL Speaking Topics: Three Choice Question Type
- Which of the following choices do you think has the greatest impact on environmental protection? (1) Governmental regulations (2) Environmental awareness groups (3) Individual effort.
- There is going to be a TV show that relates to students. Which show would you like to watch? (1) Interview school leaders (2) Students’ debate on political and social topics (3) Comedy about school life.
- Three kinds of activities will be offered on a special day organized by the International Student office. Which one do you prefer? (1) International food fair (2) International music festival (3) International film festival.
- Which one would you like to choose for your final project? (1) giving a presentation (2) writing a paper (3) creating a video.
TOEFL Speaking Topics: Agree or Disagree Question Type
- Do you agree or disagree that it is important for young people to learn some domestic skills like cooking, sewing and taking care of children?
- Do you agree or disagree with the statement that experienced doctors are better than young doctors?
- Do you agree or disagree that students should have a job while they are studying in school? Use details and examples to support your explanation.
- Some people think that with the development of technology and the Internet, libraries will disappear, while others think libraries are always necessary. Which opinion do you agree?
TOEFL Speaking Topics: Description or Explanation
- If the police stop a driver who is driving drunk (after drinking alcohol), do you think that the person’s driver’s license should be taken away? Support your answer.
- Do you think that parents should be allowed to educate their children at home, or should they be required to send children to school outside the home? Support your answer.
- Do you think it is important for parents to teach their kids to learn how to manage money? Use reasons and specific examples to support your opinion.
- Should schools engage in character education to instil morals and values in children?
Tips and Tricks to Ace TOEFL Speaking Section
Now that you know the topics for TOEFL Speaking section, let’s quickly impart you with some important tips that can help you ace the exam.
- Stay Focused: When you are attempting the speaking section, you might get distracted by the noises of everyone speaking around you. Therefore, while you are preparing for the test, practice this section in a rather noisy room than a silent one.
- Relax and be Confident: Panicking can thwart your performance in the TOEFL speaking section and can block your mind from getting new ideas and opinions. Therefore, before taking the exam, take a few deep breaths and try relaxing for a few seconds.
- Stay away from Plagiarism: There are umpteen templates available on the internet, yet you do not need to cram the answers for any of the TOEFL speaking topics. If your answer is found plagiarized by the graders, your candidature can be disqualified.
- Take Notes: Taking brief notes can help the candidate in recalling everything about the main ideas behind the TOEFL lectures.
- Make Things Up: In case you have spoken about everything and there is still time left, just make things on an imaginary basis. This section only assesses the speaking skills of the candidates and not the facts and figures. Just keep on discussing even if an incident did not happen.
Watch this video to know more about how you can ace the TOEFL speaking test-
Best Books for TOEFL Preparation
|ETS Official Guide to the TOEFL Test (4th Edition)||ETS||Buy Here|
|Cracking the TOEFL iBT (2016-2017) Edition||Princeton Review||Buy Here|
|Official TOEFL iBT Test Volume 2||ETS||Buy Here|
|Kaplan TOEFL iBT Premier 2016-2017 with 4 Practice Tests||Kaplan Test Prep||Buy Herre|
|The Only Grammar Book You’ll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment||Susan Thurman||Buy Here|
|Essential Words for the TOEFL, 6th Edition (Barron’s Essential Words for the TOEFL )||Steven J. Matthiesen||Buy Here|
|Practice Exercises for the TOEFL with MP3 CD||Pamela J. Sharpe||Buy Here|
|TOEFL Grammar Guide: 23 Grammar Rules You Must Know To Guarantee Your Success On The TOEFL Exam||Timothy Dickeson||Buy Here|
|240 Speaking Topics: With Sample Answers (Volume 2)||LIKE Test Prep||Buy Here|
|240 Writing Topics: with Sample Essays||LIKE Test Prep||Buy Here|
There is no restriction on the TOEFL exam. A person can take the exam as many times as they want but in a gap of 12 days.
Yes, you can register for TOEFL exam more than once. But make sure that you can apply for the exam once in a gap of 12 days.
A person can register for TOEFL exam at least 4 days prior to the set date of examination. It is essential for candidates to make sure that they are applying before that.
Ideally, you should register for the exam 3-4 months prior to your desired test date. With this gap, you will also have a chance to re-appear for a better score.
The cost of the TOEFL iBT test varies from one country to another. In India, it is US$ 180 (INR 14,000).
We hope that we have had you covered with all the TOEFL speaking topics and other detailed information that you needed to know about this examination. In case you are looking forward to overseas education and want to ace these language proficiency exams like TOEFL, PTE and IELTS, then just turn to us at Leverage Edu. Our expert trainers help you gain all the insight into how to ace competitive exams and help you land into your dream university abroad. Also, book your 30 minutes of free career counselling session with our experts and get the answers to all your career-related queries.