What’s the first thing that catches your eye when visiting a heritage site or shifting to a new office? It’s the innovative design and structure that fascinate you the most. From the Taj Mahal built centuries ago to the modern skyscrapers, Architecture has been in demand worldwide. The need for architecture is growing because of the emergence of new buildings, housing complexes, malls, and more. The USA is among the top countries to study Masters in Architecture. USA Education System is a perfect blend of world-class technologies, home to IVYs, the best faculties, and a multicultural environment that attracts students from around the globe.
|Degree||Masters in Architecture|
|Program Duration||2 to 3.5 years|
|Eligibility||50% in bachelor’s degree; GRE/GMAT test score|
|Average Fees||1,211,471 INR to 4,082,291 INR per year|
|Average Salary Offered||8,076,475 INR per annum|
|Job Profile||Design Architect, Project Architect, Architect, Landscape Architect, Urban Designer, Senior Project Architect, Urban Planner, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Master in Architecture in the USA?
Between 2018-2028, the Bureau of Labor Statistics plans to increase architects’ employment by 8.4% in the USA.
- 5-year BArch and the MArch are the only two courses recognized by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) of USA for granting architect license.
- The workforce in the industry with BArch gets an average annual package of 56,900 USD(4177740 INR) whereas, with a MArch degree, the compensation is 110,000 USD(8076 INR) per annum.
- The average annual salary of architects increased by 6.2% from 2017 to 2019, according to the AIA Compensation Report.
- The average yearly package of workers with the BArch industry amounts to $56,900(4177740 INR), compared to $110,000(8076 INR) in the MArch degree each year.
- According to the AIA Compensation Report, the average architectural yearly compensation has increased by 6.2% from 2017 to 2019.
- Any international student intrigued by the beauty, ingenuity, and even legacy of buildings and diverse structures might consider studying architecture in the United States.
Types of Masters in Architecture in the USA
There are two types of architectural levels of architecture that you can study in the United States, meaning M. Arch I and M. Arch II.
|Courses||M. Arch I||M. Arch II|
|Undergraduate Qualification||Individuals who do not have a bachelor’s degree pursue it.||M. Arch 2 is for students who have completed a recognized undergraduate degree, such as a B. Arch.|
|Duration||2 Year||2 Year|
In the United States, only a B.Arch is considered an accredited architecture degree, not a BS or BA in architecture. Students with a background in design and other streams are admitted to colleges that offer the M.Arch 1 degree.
Also Read: MEM in USA
Top Universities for Masters in Architecture in the USA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- University of California
- Stanford University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of Michigan
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Pennsylvania
Cost of Studying
A master’s degree in architecture in the United States can be extremely expensive. Application expenses, student visa fees, tuition fees, and the cost of living in the United States will all be included in the total cost.
Expenses incurred before arrival
Your pre-departure or pre-arrival fee includes the money you’ll spend on applications, tests, and other procedures before flying to the United States.
Also Read: Universities In USA For MS
Tuition costs will be the most significant price once you arrive in the nation. The cost of a master’s degree in architecture at top universities in the United States ranges from 16,500(12,14,989.88 INR) to 55,700(41,01,511.28 INR) dollars per year.
Universities in the United States are quite picky about the candidates’ goals, commitment, and quality while applying for a master’s degree in architecture. They ask students by establishing particular requirements for MS in Architecture eligibility in the United States. Universities set eligibility standards for MS in Architecture in the United States to assess students’ analytical, verbal, and mathematical abilities. The requirements for the Master of Architecture in the USA are as follows:
- CGPA – Students must have a CGPA score of 2.25 or higher, as well as a minimum backlog history if they want to be admitted to US universities.
- GRE – It is also important that students have GRE scores above 290 and higher scores improve their chances of being admitted to better universities in the United States. The GRE is a graduate profile exam where students are assessed on their ability to verbal reasoning, critical thinking, problem-solving, and thoughtful writing skills. So the GRE score is one of the most important criteria that students must meet.
- Without GRE – GRE is an important admission standard, but it is not a barrier to prevent you from completing a master’s degree in the United States, because some universities do not use GRE as an admission standard for the U.S. Master of Architecture.
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR) – Students applying for admission to American universities also needs to provide a letter of recommendation prepared by their academic director, supervisor, or teacher. These documents add value to the student’s admission application. The university has a team of consultants who can help clarify the overall situation of the candidate, which cannot be done through a resume. As part of the application process, applicants must submit at least three letters of recommendation to the university.
- Portfolio – This is an important part of a student’s application and plays an important role in gaining admission. This is a collection of the candidate’s best artwork/design/projects and is usually the most recent. The portfolio is considered the eligibility criteria for the Master of Architecture in the USA and also a way to stand out.
- Statement of Intent (SOP) – Students are also required to submit a Statement of Intent that highlights the character they wish to represent before the admissions committees of various colleges. This document has an important role in student registration. From the content of this document to the template, students must pay attention to the smallest details to present themselves well in front of the university. Even in this regard, advisors can be of great help.
Also Read: Trending Courses in USA
Taking a course in this country can be a bit expensive. However, many universities and institutes offer scholarships to international students in the United States to ease students’ financial worries. Scholarships and grants offered by universities have gone up to 25% in some schools. Although, among the best, scholarships ranging from 25% to 50% are only available at MIT where admission standards are very high. USA government and non-profit organizations are also places to look for grants. In addition to universities, some committees and organizations provide scholarships and financial aid to international students based on various criteria, such as academic achievement, financial need, and other criteria. extracurricular activities.
|Scholarship||Details||Amount (in USD)|
|Fulbright Foreign Student Program in the USA||About 4000 foreign students receive this scholarship every year.||1,000 – 2,500(73,422-18,3556 INR)|
|Go Clean Scholarship||No. of Scholarships offered is 1||3,500(256,978 INR)|
|BrokerFish International student scholarship||Offered by partner universities||1,000 (73,422 INR)|
|ProNet David W. Lakamp AIA Scholarship||Awarded by the American Institute of Architects (AIA)||5000(367,112 INR)|
|Aga Khan Scholarship||Awarded to postgraduate students from developing countries||50% tuition fee waiver|
|ASLA Student Award||Awarded to students of landscape architecture||Varies|
|Jason Pettigrew Memorial ARE Scholarship||Given by AIA National Associates Committee||The full cost of study|
This was all about Masters in Architecture in USA. Are you planning to study abroad but are confused about where to start from? Contact our experts and counsellors at Leverage Edu will guide you through applying at your dream universities to Visa interview preparation. Book your FREE 30-minute counselling session today!