MBA in Finance has been one of the most lucrative fields for business aspirants. As per Outlook 2021, Finance is the most popular specialization among GenZ MBA aspirants with 42% of them choosing the field. Owing to such high demand, MBA schools around the world offer specialization in Finance. Some of these top colleges are situated in Canada. The country offers the same quality of education as the UK and the US at much affordable cost. Among the 4 schools for MBA in Finance in Canada, 3 of them rank in the top 150 in QS MBA Ranking 2021.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Should You Study MBA In Canada?
- Is It Difficult to Get an MBA Degree in Finance in Canada?
- Top Universities for MBA In Finance In Canada
- Eligibility and Tuition Fees for Top Universities for MBA in Finance in Canada
- How Much Does An MBA In Finance Cost In Canada?
- MBA in Finance in Canada Syllabus
- Scholarships For MBA In Finance In Canada
- Masters vs MBA in Finance in Canada
Why Should You Study MBA In Canada?
Students at Canadian universities have the opportunity to network with a variety of accomplished people in the business world.
- According to US News and World Report, Canada ranked 7th in the world for Entrepreneurship and Open for Business in 2019.
- International students have a high quality of life in Canada because of the ideal environment. There are endless on-campus and off-campus employment opportunities for international students in Canada.
- The Canadian job market is expanding at an unprecedented rate increasing the need for MBA graduates.
- Visas for international students are easy to obtain in Canada. There is far less paperwork than any other country, and they also offer post study work permits.
- MBA in Canada is believed to be the best long-term investment. The average salary of an MBA professional in Canada is $79,076 (58,23,749 INR) each year. It can range from $34,170 per year (25,16,535 INR) (at the entry-level) to $120,793 (8,896,102 INR) per year.
Also Read: MBA Courses in Canada
Is It Difficult to Get an MBA Degree in Finance in Canada?
MBA in Finance is just as challenging as any other MBA program in Canada. Students must have a minimum of 50% aggregate or equivalent CGPA in a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. The course requires mathematical & statistics skills. It is more competitive than other MBA courses because of its high demand.
Top Universities for MBA In Finance In Canada
According to the QS MBA Ranking 2021, Rotman School of Management, Smith School of Business, Alberta University are in the top 150 business schools in the world among the four business schools that offer an MBA in Finance in Canada. Schools offer admission to the general MBA program. But students can pick finance as a speciality in their second year of study. International applicants interested in pursuing an MBA in Finance in Canada should bear the following in mind:
- The specialty is only offered by a few schools.
- These institutions have competitive admission criteria that include an academic record and documents such as LORs, essays, resumes, and so on
- Best time to apply for the courses is during the Fall semester
- Most classes are held online or in a hybrid style due to the Covid-19 pandemic
Also Read: Eligibility for MBA in Canada
MBA in Finance at Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
According to the QS MBA ranking 2021, Rotman School of Management is ranked first among the top business schools in Canada. It provides a two-year MBA program in Canada, with one of the concentrations as Financial Reporting and Analysis. Students at Rotman come from North America, Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
Rotman School of Management MBA Admissions Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from any field
- 2 LORs, preferably from the workplace supervisor
- 2 written essays (1000 words each)
- One pre-recorded video that is no more than ten minutes long
- Interviews can be conducted in person, over the phone, or by video conferencing
Also Read: 1 Year MBA in Canada
MBA in Finance at Smith School of Business, Queen’s University
Finance is one of the specializations offered by Smith’s School of Business in its full-time MBA program. Students who choose specialization receive a diploma in their chosen field of specialty as well as an MBA from a Canadian university.
Admission requirements for Queen’s University MBA:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree
- Cover letter
- 2 professional LORs for MBA in Finance
- 2 video questions and one written response
The University of Alberta at MBA in Finance
The University of Alberta provides a two-year full-time MBA in finance as a concentration. In their second year of study, students can choose a specialty. Courses in general management are included in the first-year curriculum.
Admission requirements for University of Alberta MBA:
- A four-year bachelor’s degree in any field (3-year also accepted with an applicant has a strong profile)
- 2 professional LORs
- 1 to 2-page SOP for MBA in Finance
- 2 rounds of interviews:
- 1st round: Submit a pre-recorded video with answers to 4 questions
- 2nd round: Skype-based one-on-one interview with the admissions committee
MBA in Finance at Laval University
Laval University offers a four-semester MBA in Finance program. In QS Rankings 2021, it is rated 416th. Laval University focuses on creativity and innovation. Its MBA in Finance program teaches corporate finance, financial analysis, portfolio management, market finance, and risk management to students.
Admission requirements for Laval University MBA:
- A bachelor’s degree in administration, science, engineering, or a related discipline is required.
- MBA essay of about 2 pages
Also Read: MBA in Canada Without GMAT
Eligibility and Tuition Fees for Top Universities for MBA in Finance in Canada
|University||Application fees||Tuition Fees||GMAT Requirement|
|Rotman School of Management||195 CAD(11,339 INR)||115,986 CAD
|Smith School of Business||None||93,000 CAD
|University of Alberta||100 CAD
|Minimum: 550 (50th percentile
of GRE also accepted)
|Laval University||89 CAD
|University||%Required in Bachelors||Work EX Required||English Requirement|
|Rotman School of Management||Minimum: 83%Average: 89%||Minimum: 2 years
Average: 6 years
TOEFL (iBT): 100
|Smith School of Business||Minimum: 75%||Required: 2 years
Average: 4.4 years
TOEFL: 96 (iBT)
|University of Alberta||Minimum: 83%Average: 89%||Minimum: 2 years
Average: 5 years
TOEFL (iBT): 100
|Laval University||Minimum: 85%||Not specified||IELTS: 6.5
How Much Does An MBA In Finance Cost In Canada?
Every year, thousands of international students move to Canada to pursue MBA degrees, making it one of the most popular study locations in the world. However, in order to pursue that, students must keep in handy certain funds that you need pre and post-admission.
|Application Fee||60-190(3,489-11,049 INR)|
|GMAT||325 (18,899 INR)|
|GRE||332 (19,306 INR)|
|Canadian Study permit/Visa||150 (8,722 INR)|
|Flight tickets||400-1400 (23,261-81,413 INR)|
Also Read: Low Cost MBA in Canada
MBA in Finance in Canada Syllabus
Mentioned below is the syllabus for MBA in finance in Canada :
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Micro Economics||Financial Modeling|
|Corporate Social Responsibility||Supply Chain Management|
|Principles of Accounting||Business Intelligence|
|Principles of Marketing Management||Strategic Management|
|Tools and Frameworks for Decision Making||Managerial Economics|
|Quantitative Methods and Statistics||Marketing Research|
|Business Communication And Soft skills||Corporate Governance and Business Ethics|
|Organizational Behaviour-1||Corporate Finance-2|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Macro Economics||Internship Projects|
|Business Law||Project Submissions|
|Operations Management||Organization Behaviour-2|
|Corporate Management||Marketing Management|
|Optimization and Project Research||Project Management|
Scholarships For MBA In Finance In Canada
In Canada, a variety of scholarships are available to assist international students on a variety of levels. Mentioned below are some of the scholarship opportunities:
|Scholarship||Offered by||Amount (in CAD)|
|Women in Business Excellence Award||University of Toronto||13,000(755,986 INR)|
|MBA Excellence Award||University of Toronto||26,000(1,511,972 INR)|
|Entrance Awards||Queen’s University||Up to 15,000(872,292 INR)|
|AIMCo Scholarship||University of Alberta||10,000(581,528 INR)|
|Success Scholarship||Laval University||1,000(58,152 INR)|
Masters vs MBA in Finance in Canada
Accounting, finance, market research, entrepreneurship, and management are all included in the MBA in Finance curriculum. MS or Masters in Finance in Canada, on the other hand, concentrates solely on academic aspects of finance and accounting. The decision between the two is mostly based on the future job route you wish to pursue.
- An MBA in Finance requires an additional business-oriented curriculum. Financial theory, mathematics, quantitative finance, investments, financial analysis, and reporting are all included in the MS in Finance program.
- Admission to an MBA in Finance is tougher, requiring an above-average GMAT score and a minimum of two years of work experience, although some universities offering MS in Finance in Canada require a GRE score.
- Students with bachelor’s degrees in any discipline are eligible to apply for the MBA in Finance program. To apply for the MS in Finance, applicants must have a good background in finance.
- MS in Finance graduates are specifically trained for employment involving trading, investments, and risk management. MBA Finance graduates can work in a variety of sectors.
- MBA in Finance graduates in Canada can earn up to 90,000 CAD (52,33,752 INR) per year. MS Finance graduates in Canada earn a yearly salary of 79,500 CAD (4,623,147 INR).
- MBA in Finance in Canada offers students excellent possibilities and competitive incomes. This country has been known for its prominent colleges and business institutions, which have provided superior education to its students throughout the years. A master’s degree in finance from Canada is another option for students interested in the finance profession.
Also Read: PhD in Finance in Canada
Are you planning to study MBA in Finance in Canada? Connect with us at Leverage Edu and book your FREE counselling session with us. We will help you throughout your study abroad process, from choosing the best university to a smooth visa process.