Australia is among the dream study abroad destinations for students worldwide. The capital of the state of New South Wales, Sydney is the largest city in Australia. Situated on the south-eastern Australian coast, the city is a diverse blend of international cultures and features a lively student life attracting students globally. A popular destination for higher education, Sydney is home to five of the world’s largest universities, with an international student population of approximately 30,000 each. Colleges in Sydney Australia has a reputation for academic excellence, world-class research and global recognition. Study in Sydney, a sought-after destination for pursuing higher education abroad.
This Blog Includes:
- 5 Reasons to Study in Sydney
- Best Colleges in Sydney Australia
- MBA Colleges in Sydney Australia
- Popular Courses at Colleges in Sydney Australia
- Application Process and Documents Required
- Getting Student Visa to Study in Sydney
- Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in Sydney
- Cost of Living in Sydney
- Student Life in Sydney
5 Reasons to Study in Sydney
Statistics show that international students enrolling to study in Australia consistently show an upward graph. According to the QS Best Student Cities Rankings 2022, Sydney ranks as the top 8th student city in the world. Here are a few reasons why colleges in Sydney Australia is the preferred choice for foreign students who wish to study abroad:
- Diversity and Inclusion– Sydney is the melting pot of multicultural and ethnically diverse student communities from around the world. Students from numerous nationalities call Australia home. The city’s diversity has shaped its food, entertainment and cultural scene, offering students global education with opportunities for immersion in the local community. Further, Australians are known for their laidback, friendly and hospitable attitude that allows international students to become a part of an inclusive and interconnected community.
- Affordability– As compared to study abroad destinations like the USA and UK, universities in Australia are more affordable and accessible. However, compared to other Australian cities, higher education in Sydney is on the higher end of the scale. Accommodation is one of the heaviest living expenditures for international students in Sydney.
- Education and Job Opportunities -Degree programs from the best universities in Sydney are globally acclaimed and offer enough international exposure for the students to become career-ready. Students in Sydney can learn while they earn. Moreover, Sydney, being the economic epicenter of Australia, graduates can expect high employability rates and internship opportunities in the fields of technology, business, law and more.
- Quality of Life– One of the reasons for the popularity of Sydney as a study abroad destination is precisely the high-quality of life that the city offers. According to the 2019 Global Livability Index, Sydney ranks as the third most livable city in the world. Also, it is rated as the 5th safest city in the world according to The Economist’s rankings of the Safest Cities Index 2019.
- Weather and Nature– Sydney is a great place to live and study also for its ideal weather and abundance of natural beauty and wildlife. Lined with beautiful golden beaches, the city offers a perfect balance of nature and urban environment. The mild winters and warm summers of the city allow students to engage in water recreation sports throughout the year.
Best Colleges in Sydney Australia
Listed below are the top Universities in Sydney.
|University||QS World University Rankings 2023|
|University of Sydney||41|
|University of New South Wales||45|
|University of Technology, Sydney||133|
|Western Sydney University||501-510|
|Australian Catholic University||–|
Also Read: Cheapest Universities in Australia
MBA Colleges in Sydney Australia
- University of New South Wales – Australian Graduate School of Management
- Degrees: Master of Business Administration (Specialized)
- Duration: 1.7 years
- Fees: $68,420
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- Degrees: Master of Business Administration
- Duration: 1.5 – 2 years
- Fees: $61,400
- The University of Sydney Business School
- Degrees: Master of Business Administration, Master of International Business
- Duration: 1.15 years
- Fees: $51,500
- University of Wollongong (Sydney) – Sydney Business School
- Degrees: Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration(Advanced), Master of Business Administration(Executive)
- Duration: 1.5 – 2 years
- Fees: $60,192
Popular Courses at Colleges in Sydney Australia
Students planning to study in colleges in Sydney Australia can choose from an eclectic range of courses, specializations and degree levels. Universities in the city also provide continuing education opportunities along with technical and vocational courses. Check out the following popular courses in Sydney that see the most enrollments each year:
|Bachelors of Commerce (Business Statistics)||Master of International Law||Doctor of Information Technology|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Honors)||Master of Criminology||Doctor of Music|
|Bachelor of Education||Master of Business Administration||Doctor of Clinical Surgery|
|Bachelor of Actuarial Studies||Master of Education (Educational Psychology)||PhD (Architecture, Design and Planning)|
|Bachelor of Commerce (International)||Master of Music Studies||Doctor of Philosophy (Law)|
|Bachelors of Design (Lifestyle and Accessories)||Master of Health Leadership and Management||Doctor of Philosophy (Business)|
|Bachelors of Politics, Philosophy and Economics||Master of Finance||Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering)|
|Bachelor of Psychology||Master of Public Relations and Advertising||Doctor of Clinical Dentistry|
|Bachelor of Economics||Master of Actuarial Studies||PhD Health Economics|
|Bachelor of Design Computing||MSc Engineering Management||PhD in Finance|
|Bachelor of Science (Medical Science)||Masters in Professional Accounting||PhD in Education|
Application Process and Documents Required
Applying to a university in Sydney, Australia requires students to produce certain standard documents and follow specific application procedures. Are you planning to study in Sydney? Here is a step-by-step guide with everything, from admission requirements to the application process, that you need to know before beginning your application for a Sydney university:
Step-1: Shortlist Universities and Courses
The first step in applying to study in Sydney is selecting a degree course and the University from which you wish to pursue that course. This will depend on your academic background, preferences and profile. Make sure to check the eligibility requirements for the course that you are considering applying to. You can use our AI-Course Finder to generate a list of universities where you are most likely to get accepted and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Get Your Test Scores
Most universities in Australia require students to produce standard test scores such as IELTS and TOEFL as proof of English language proficiency. Several universities require students who wish to pursue Master’s degrees in Australia to submit test scores for GRE or GMAT. International students are advised to be aware of the application deadlines to complete all their application formalities well in advance.
Step-3: Gather the Documents Required
The next important step in your application is compiling all the important application documents. These include:
- Official Academic Transcripts and Grade Cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV or Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Step-4: Complete Your Application
Now that you have all the documents required in your hand, it is time to complete your online application. Start by applying to a University by visiting their official website and entering personal, academic and professional information. Complete your application by paying the requisite application fee.
Getting Student Visa to Study in Sydney
For pursuing higher education in Australia, students must apply for a Subclass 500 Student Visa. This is a temporary visa that will remain valid for up to 5 years and includes permission to work 40 hours per two weeks. The application for getting the temporary Student Visa costs AUD 630.
The following is your document checklist and visa requirements to study in Australia:
- Evidence of sufficient funds – Students need to display proof of combined parental income of at least AUD 72,592 in the 12 months immediately prior to application.
- Proof of Enrollment – Students are required to submit their official Letter of Offer from the University of their study.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency – IELTS (5.5) or TOEFL IBT (46)
- Overseas Student Health Cover – Students are required to submit proof of adequate health insurance throughout the duration of Visa validity.
- Character Requirements – Students will need to undergo a criminal record check to ensure that they are of good character, fit for entering Australia.
Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in Sydney
- India Future of Change Scholarship – This scholarship aims to financially support high-achieving students from India pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate programs at UNSW. It includes an annual stipend of $10,000 for the minimum duration of the program.
- Australia’s Global Award – Awarded to an international student commencing full-time, on-campus degree programs at UNSW, this scholarship provides an amount equivalent to $5000 or $10,000 per year, for the first year of the program as a waiver on tuition fees.
- International Scientia Coursework Scholarship – Offered to international students beginning undergraduate or postgraduate studies at UNSW, this scholarship includes an amount of $20,000 to full tuition-fee waiver, paid directly as tuition fee for the duration of the program.
- Sydney International Student Award – Awarded to high-achieving Indian students pursuing full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree programs (except MBA, and Executive MBA) at the University of Sydney, this scholarship provides a 20% reduction on the tuition fee on an annual basis.
- Sydney Scholars India Scholarship Program – This scholarship program is designed for Indian students planning to undertake undergraduate and postgraduate coursework at the University of Sydney. The scholarship includes a total of 28 awards including:
- 3 awards of $40,000/annum each – undergraduate degree program of up to 4 years
- 10 awards of $20,000 each – 1st year UG and PG students
- 15 awards of $10,000 each – 1st year UG and PG students
Check Out: Scholarships in Australia
Cost of Living in Sydney
On average, the cost of living in Sydney for an international student amounts to $1800/month with housing expenses being the heaviest weight on the pocket. Find below a breakup of categories that you will need to budget as an international student studying in Sydney:
- Accommodation: $90 – $440/week
- Food and Groceries: $80 – $280/week for groceries or $10 – $15 per meal
- Academic Resources: $500/semester
- Transportation: $30 -$60/week
- Lifestyle Expenses: $80 – $150/week
Student Life in Sydney
When in Sydney, students will never run out of things to do. Fast-paced and busy, yet vibrant, life in Sydney offers multiple opportunities for students to learn, earn and socialize. Aside from its great beaches and water recreation sports, students in Sydney can experience the lively nightlife, food scene and cultural fullness in cafes, art galleries, museums, theatres, the iconic opera house and much more. Several students in the city take up part-time employment to cover the living costs. Indeed, the city has an ocean to offer for prospective students planning to study in Australia.
Yes, international students with a meritorious academic background and high academic potential can study in Australia for free. Several scholarship programs, research grants and more are offered by the Australian government as well as individual universities to cover tuition and living expenses for the students.
While Melbourne offers a cheaper cost of living than Sydney, the latter is the preferred study abroad destination among international students precisely because of its warm weather, economic activity, cultural and natural diversity as well as lucrative employment opportunities.
If you are planning to be a part of one of the world’s leading universities in Sydney, Leverage Edu can make it happen for you. Our experts have a vast network of mentors who guide you in the application process to enhance your chances of getting admission to a university. Call us on 1800 57 2000!