Students with learning disabilities are often neglected by society. In order to develop a distinct cultural perspective on Special Education, universities and colleges across the world have come up with a different learning experience which is practically designed for these students. It opens your mind to how different cultures and nations work towards valuing their citizens with disabilities. This article will help you explore the major special education courses offered by universities and colleges worldwide.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Special Education Course?
Special education courses support individuals with special educational needs and require mentors planning systematic procedure and learning aids in an adaptive environment for them. Universities and colleges encourage specialised educational facilities and academic establishments to accommodate students with special education requirements.
As a part of the curriculum, students get numerous opportunities to take part in supervised work placements designed for children and adults with specialised educational needs. This equips individuals with core knowledge of learning disabilities along with expertise in demonstrating their ability to empathise with the students.
A learning disability can be seen among individuals due to a range of physical, mental, emotional and developmental impairments. Below is a list of the following impairments:
- Visual Impairment including Blindness
- Hearing Impairment
- Speech and Language Impairment
- Orthopaedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairment
- Intellectual Disability
- Special Learning Disability
- Multiple Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Development Delay
- Emotional Disturbance
Having a disability of any kind should never stop anyone from conquering their dreams. Without any stigma being attached, children and adults with special needs should be given equal opportunities to succeed in life.
Special Education Courses Eligibility
- The applicant should have a bachelor’s degree or recognised equivalent in a related field of studies like English or Psychology from an accredited university or institution.
- In order to pursue a doctoral program, applicants should have a master’s degree in similar or a closely allied field of education from a recognized institution.
- Some universities require applicants to have a minimum of 1 or 2 years of work experience working with children who have special educational requirements.
- English language proficiency tests: TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Cambridge English
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
List of Special Education Courses
Here is a list of Special Education degree courses for individuals with strong analytical and interpretive skills who are willing to learn cognitive theories and teaching techniques to create a better learning environment for those with specialised educational needs.
Bachelor’s Degree Courses
- B.Sc in Special Education
- B.Sc. in Childhood Education (Childhood Special Education)
- B.Sc. in Early Childhood (Early Childhood Special Education)
- B.S in Special Education (Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities)
- B.S in Special Education (Teacher of Students with Severe Disabilities)
Master’s Degree Courses
- M.S. in Special Education
- M.A in Special Education
- M.A. in Special and Inclusive Education
- M.A. in Early Childhood Education – Special Education
- M.A. in Bilingual Special Education Studies
- M.Ed. in Special Education
- M.Ed. in Early Childhood Special Education
- M.Ed. in High Incidence Disabilities with Special Education Teacher Certification
- EdM in Special Education
Doctoral Degree Courses
- EdD. in Special Education
- PhD. in Special Education (Joint Program)
- PhD. in Early Childhood Special Education
- PhD. in Equity and Diversity in Special Education
- PhD. in Applied Developmental Science and Special Education
Top Universities for Special Education
Below is a list of universities and colleges providing Special Education courses to individuals who want to study the fundamentals of Special Education and techniques. These universities also equip students with strong practical experiences during their course of study to help them explore a diverse range of career opportunities.
- Johns Hopkins University
- University College London
- University of California, Berkeley
- Columbia University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- New York University
- University of Washington
- The University of Hong Kong
- The University of British Columbia
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Wisconsin – Madison
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- University of New South Wales
- University of Malaya
Special Education Career Scope
It becomes essential to broaden the education system to develop professionals with specialized training and skills that can teach students with special educational needs. Moreover, it should be ensured that learning is a fun and adventurous activity for these students. Below is a list of job opportunities for individuals with an academic qualification and experience in Special Education.
- Career and Technical Education Teachers
- Preschool Teachers
- Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers
- Middle School Teachers
- High School Teachers
- Teacher Assistants
- Instructional Coordinators
- Childcare Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Recreational Therapists
- Art Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Educational Diagnostician
- Social Workers
Special education courses support individuals with special educational needs and require mentors planning systematic procedure and learning aids in an adaptive environment for them.
Johns Hopkins University
University College London
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Los Angeles
New York University
University of Washington
Career and Technical Education Teachers
Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers
Middle School Teachers
High School Teachers
Are you someone who is passionate about teaching? Are you curious to understand the ways by which the human brain processes information? If so, then pursuing Special Education courses may be the ideal career choice for you. Let our experts at Leverage Edu help you in finding the perfect university to nurture you in becoming an expert in Special Education.