Forming a major portion of marketing in the digital age, advertising has also undergone nothing short of a transformation itself. With integration tools of computer technology like business analytics, modern communication methods and much more importantly social media platforms, advertising has become not only an essential part of reaching out to potential users but also in building a conducive ecosystem of better consumer-seller relationships. Digital Advertising specifically deals with online instruments and touches social media, email marketing and ad-based marketing, amongst others. If you feel you have the knack to advertise things in an enticing manner and are curious about how the online platforms are revolutionizing this arena, this blog on digital advertising courses shall certainly be of much help.
This Blog Includes:
- Digital Advertising: Field Overview
- Benefits of Pursuing Digital Advertising Course
- Digital Advertising Courses: Categories & Level of Rigor
- Digital Advertising Courses: Universities
- Top Colleges in India Offering Digital Advertising Course
- Digital Advertising Course Job Profile
- Top Recruiter of Digital Advertising Courses
Digital Advertising: Field Overview
Drawing insights from several fields including but not limited to Public Relations, Mass Communication and even Psychology and Sociology, Digital Advertising courses aim to impart a foundational understanding of consumer behaviour, persuasion, product-consumer fitment etc. It also, in a significant amount, deals with computer analytics, creative development, innovative advertising practices and case studies from experiments made by companies around the world. Graduates can pursue a career in Digital Marketing, communication, information studies, marketing, public relations, journalism and research, amongst others.
Related Articles: Digital Marketing Course Syllabus
Benefits of Pursuing Digital Advertising Course
- Career – One of the pros of working in the advertising field is that your jobs are not restricted to just mainstream media jobs. If you are interested in copywriting & have an imagination beyond control you can work as a copywriter, if you have the power to produce an eye-catchy representation of your thoughts visually you can work as an illustrator.
- Higher demand – Every industry or organization needs to advertise their product in order to increase their sales, profits & awareness about their brand. Companies will always need advertisements to sell their products this means there will always be a demand in the advertising sector & at present, there are fewer people and more jobs in the market.
- International scope – Advertising has no boundaries, the scope & job opportunities of advertising are much higher at the international level than compared to the national level & advertising professionals are in demand globally.
- Collaboration – Advertising is a field where you get an opportunity to collaborate with various brands & build your network. Advertising life revolves around creating successful campaigns & dig up new ideas.
- Work in every field – whether it’s an educational institution or beauty salon, everyone knows the value of advertising. Professionals from the advertising field will get a chance to work in every field and this is one of the reasons they are in higher demand globally.
Digital Advertising Courses: Categories & Level of Rigor
Course offerings in digital advertising vary greatly from long-term degree programs such as bachelor’s, master’s and even PhD to short term skill-based programs like diploma or certificate. Further, since advertising is deeply interlinked with marketing, public relations and mass communication, students have the option to pursue these courses which devote significant focus on advertising. This includes Mass Communication course, MBA in Digital Marketing, Masters in Marketing, etc. Glance over the following sections for a detailed analysis.
Undergraduate digital advertising courses start from scratch and focus on introducing students to the vast field of advertising, classical theories related to marketing and persuasion along with basic usage of computer tools. Further, many institutions may also include topics from social sciences, humanities and languages to encourage multidisciplinarity.
Major Subjects: Consumer Insight, Business Management, Marketing, Introduction to Advertising, Journalism, Communication Methods, Advertising Management, Design Strategy & Software, Entertainment Marketing English, Statistics & Data Science, Introduction to Psychology & Sociology, Media & Cinema Studies, Art History, Design, etc.
Also Read: Journalism Career
Master’s & PhD
Digital advertising courses offered at the postgraduate level dive deeper into a particular aspect or incline towards training individuals for a professional career in this field. A typical Masters in Advertising concerns with higher-level principles of advertising, communication theories as well as public relations and branding, social media, amongst others.
Major Subjects: Quantitative & Qualitative Research Methods; Advertising Theory; Global Advertising; Public Relations, Strategic Brand Communication, Computer Science & Advertising, Consumer Behavior & Psychology, Social Media, Creative Video Development, Copywriting, Advertising & Society, Design Strategy & Software etc
Note: Digital Advertising courses, more often than not, lay emphasis on practical understanding and therefore include training, internships, projects, seminars, workshops and much more to help students build a strong portfolio.
Also Read: Masters in Digital Marketing in Canada
Digital Advertising Courses: Universities
To make your search of destinations easier, we have listed down a few top universities around the world that offer digital advertising courses or programs in closely-related fields.
|Name of University||Location||THE Rankings 2021||Courses|
|University of Texas at
|USA||44th||BSc in Advertising;
MA in Advertising;
PhD in Advertising
|University of Illinois-
|USA||48th||BSc in Agricultural
BSc in Advertising
MSc in Advertising
|University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill
|USA||=56th||BA in Media &
|Chinese University of
|Hong Kong||=56th||MSc in Advertising|
|Boston University||USA||=54th||BSc in Communication
MSc in Advertising
|University of Queensland||Australia||=62nd||Bachelor of Business Management/
Bachelor of Business Management-
Bachelor of Business Management/Laws(Honors)- Advertising
Master of Business-Advertising
PhD in Advertising
|University of New South
|Australia||71st||Bachelor of Design/
Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising)
|Pennsylvania State University– University Park||USA||=114||BA in Advertising/Public Relations|
Note: This is only an indicative list.
Top Colleges in India Offering Digital Advertising Course
There are numerous of intuition offering journalism & mass communication course that includes advertising, there are few universities that specialize in advertising. Here is a list of institutions offering digital advertising courses.
|Institution Name||Course Name||Course Duration||Course Fees (in INR)|
|Indian Institute of Mass Communication||PG Diploma Course in Advertising and Public Relations||1 year||1,23,000/-|
|MICA||Post Graduate Certificate in Advertising Management and Public Relations||1 year||1,30,000|
|Xavier Institute of Communications||PG Diploma in Advertising and Marketing Communication||10 Months||293370|
|University of Mumbai||MA Programme in Entertainment, Media and Advertising||2 years||96,000|
|Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication||PG Diploma in Advertising||1 year||2,60,000|
Also Read: Marketing Executive Resume
Digital Advertising Course Job Profile
There are multiple job roles available after the digital advertising course, some of the popular job profiles are listed below with their annual income:
|Job Profiles||Salary (In INR) per annum|
|Client Services Manager||₹574196|
Top Recruiter of Digital Advertising Courses
- McCann Erickson India Ltd
- Hindustan Thompson Associates (HTA)
- R K Swamy/ BBDO Advertising Ltd
- FCB-Ulka Advertising Ltd
- Ogilvy & Mather Ltd
- Dentsu Aegis
- Contract Advertising India Ltd
- Chaitra Leo Burnett Pvt Ltd
- Grey India
You can work in multiple fields, some of the major fields are Media &Publishing Houses, print media, online media & E-Commerce
It totally depends on your job profile & organization, timings are usually flexible but sometimes demand working long hours to meet the deadlines.
Indian Institute of Mass Communication offers a PG diploma course in advertising & PR relations and one of the prestigious institutions for advertising.
Some of the top entrance exam are Xavier’s Aptitude Test, IIMC Entrance Exam & XIC OET Entrance Exam
On average you can earn in the range of 10,00,000 -15,00,000 per annum
Yes, one of the perks is that if you want you can work as a freelancer & earn pretty good too.
Digital Advertising courses combine both creativity and empirical methods and offer innumerable opportunities for career building. If you see yourself working in this field but feel uncertain which course and university to go for, the AI Course Finder at Leverage Edu does that job for you by shortlisting universities based on your skills, interests and aspirations so that you can take an informed decision towards a rewarding career.