Community Colleges in the USA are one of the top-rated and affordable colleges that not only cater to local students but also many international students from around the world. According to statistics, about one-fifth of all international students in the USA study in community colleges. Most of these colleges are from one of the five states in the USA which are: California, Washington State, Texas, New York State and Florida. In this blog, we have enlisted some of the Cheapest Community Colleges in the USA for International Students.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Community College?
- Why Study in Community Colleges in USA?
- Top 50 Community Colleges in USA for International Students
- Most Popular Cheapest Community Colleges in the USA for International Students
- The City University of New York, NYC
- California State University, Long Beach
- South Texas University, South Texas
- Brigham Young University, Utah
- Alcorn State University, Mississippi
- University of Minnesota, Morris
- Lehman College, New York
- Arkansas State University, Arkansas
- Minot State University, North Dakota
- Admission Requirements for Community Colleges in USA for International Students
Here’s the Complete Guide to Study in USA!
What is a Community College?
Community Colleges are two-year colleges that are mainly attended by the locals around the college. Students attending the local community college can live at their place and attend college which saves them time and money. These colleges are also affordable compared to universities so students with limited economic means prefer these colleges.
The most preferred programs here are diplomas, certification programs and taking up two-year associate’s degrees. There are various advantages of studying at community colleges such as:
- It is more affordable than universities.
- It is very easy to get accepted.
- They work with smaller classes.
- Bachelor’s Degrees are less expensive.
- You will get the American College Experience.
- CC Laws allow you to stay and work for a year after graduation.
Why Study in Community Colleges in USA?
The reasons why you should study in Community Colleges in USA are listed below
- The fact that community schools are less expensive than private institutions is one of the main factors influencing students with limited financial resources to choose them.
- Since these universities have a high acceptance rate, the majority of applicants are chosen by them.
- Due to the diversity and exposure to ordinary American college culture, community schools are an excellent place for international students to study and gain a broad perspective on the world.
- Since credits gained at community colleges can be transferred to other universities and institutions for further education, they can be advantageous.
- Community colleges offer the option of taking classes online.
Explore the Admission Process to Study in USA!
Top 50 Community Colleges in USA for International Students
Following are the top community colleges in USA:
- San Bernardino Valley College, San Berndardino, CA
- American River College, Sacramento, CA
- Chabot College, Hayward, CA
- Cosumnes River College, Sacramento, CA
- Feather River Community College District, Quincy, CA
- Folsom Lake College, Folsom, CA
- Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia, PA
- City College of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute, Albuquerque, NM
- Sacramento City College, Sacramento, CA
- Blue Ridge Community and Technical College, Martinsburg, West Virginia
- Bristol Community College, Fall River, MA
- Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, MA
- Cape Cod Community College, West Barnstable, MA
- Massasoit Community College, Brockton, state
- Middlesex Community College, Bedford, MA
- Quinsigamond Community College, Worcester, MA
- Massachusetts Bay Community College, Wellesley Hills, MA
- North Shore Community College, Danvers, MA
- Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill, MA
- Panola College, Carthage, TX
- Mount Wachusett Community College, Gardner, MA
- Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, state
- Berkshire Community College, Pittsfield, MA
- Roxbury Community College, Roxbury Crossing, state
- Dine College, Tsaile, AZ
- Saddleback College, Mission Viejo, CA
- Springfield Technical Community College, Springfield, MA
- Wharton County Junior College, Wharton, TX
- Trinity Valley Community College, Athens, TX
- Salem State University, Salem, MA
- Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater, MA
- Coffeyville Community College, Coffeyville Community College
- Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA
- Framingham State University, Framingham, MA
- Worcester State University, Worcester, MA
- Westfield State University, Westfield, MA
- San Juan College, Farmington, NM
- Amarillo College, Amarillo, TX
- Clarendon College, Clarendon, TX
- Clovis Community College, Clovis, NM
- Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, North Adams, Massachusetts
- El Camino College-Compton Center, Compton, CA
- Long Beach City College, Long Beach, CA
- Merced College, Merced, CA
- San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, CA
- West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
- Merritt College, Oakland, CA
- San Diego Miramar College, San Diego, CA
- Antelope Valley College, Lancaster, CA
Most Popular Cheapest Community Colleges in the USA for International Students
Here’s a list of some of the Cheapest Community Colleges in the USA for International Students:
The City University of New York, NYC
Avg Tuition Fee: $17,800 [13,14 lakhs INR] annually
The City University of New York is one of the cheapest community colleges in USA for international students. It is a public university present in New York City and is also one of the largest urban university systems in USA. This university was established in 1961 and offers its students a wide range of degrees and courses from various fields.
Know all about Fall Intake in USA 2021!
California State University, Long Beach
Avg Tuition Fee: $8,300 [6,13 lakhs INR] annually
California State University is a public university and is a key mention in our list of cheapest community colleges in USA for international students. It has also been ranked #196 in the US News Top Universities. This community college is located in Long Beach California. The total number of undergraduates who enrolled in the fall intake of 2019 was about 21,462 students. It offers a lot of degrees in more than sixty different fields present.
South Texas University, South Texas
Avg Tuition Fee: $4,600 [3,39 lakhs INR] annually
This university is one of the top public community colleges in the USA. It is currently located in the Rio Grande Valley region present in South Texas. The main highlight of South Texas University is that it offers associate’s degrees in about forty different areas for local and international students.
Want to pursue Undergraduate Studies in USA? Click Here!
Brigham Young University, Utah
Avg Tuition Fee: $11,350 [8,38 lakhs INR] annually
This university caters for one of the cheapest community colleges in the USA for international students to study as it offers courses from more than 100 different fields because the number of international students was about 1000 undergraduates for the fall intake of 2019. It has been ranked 80 among the National Universities. The number of students who receive education from the university is about 31,292 students. Brigham Young University is a private research university in Utah and runs under the authority of its Church Educational System.
Alcorn State University, Mississippi
Avg Tuition Fee: $7,600 [5,61 lakhs INR] annually
Alcorn State University is one of the historically black institutions which cater to Black Americans in the rural county of Claiborne. Many foreign students also study at this university as it is one of the cheapest community colleges in the USA for international students. The university was established in 1871 and now offers degrees and courses for its students in more than 40 different fields.
University of Minnesota, Morris
Avg Tuition Fee: $12,600 [9,30 lakhs INR] annually
The University of Minnesota in Morris has been ranked 140 on the list of US news. The average fee for this college for two years is $24,264 [roughly 18-20 Lakhs INR]. The total number of undergraduates who enrolled for the fall intake of 2019 was about 1,500 and the total number of international undergraduates was about 50%, making it one of the cheapest community colleges in the USA for international students.
Lehman College, New York
Avg Tuition Fee: $17,800 [13,14 lakhs INR] annually
Lehman College in New York iy a senior college that is present at the City University of New York in New York City. It can be classified as one of the cheapest community colleges in the USA for international students and as an added advantage, this college also caters to senior-year students. It was established in 1931 and offers a wide array of degrees in more than 35 different fields in the USA.
Arkansas State University, Arkansas
Avg Tuition Fee: $13,000 [9.60 lakhs INR] annually
Arkansas State University is one of the top community colleges that are present in the USA. This university is currently located in Jonesboro in Arkansas. The ranking of this university is about 298-389 according to the U.S News. This community college also caters to a lot of international students where about 380 students enrolled for the fall intake.
Minot State University, North Dakota
Avg Tuition Fee: $6,800 [5,02 lakhs INR] annually
Minot State University is one of the cheapest community colleges that offer undergraduate degrees in more than 50 different fields. This university also caters to international students from various parts of the world. It is currently located in Minot in North Dakota and is also the third-largest community college there.
Admission Requirements for Community Colleges in USA for International Students
Following are the basic admission requirements for community colleges in USA for international students:
|Community Colleges||Admission Stats|
|Monroe College||SAT score- 1098-1113|
|Lindenwood University||SAT score- 990-1180 ACT score- 19-25|
|University of Akron||SAT score- 960-1220 ACT score- 19-26|
|Western Michigan University||SAT score- 1010-1220 ACT score- 20-27|
|Minnesota State University||ACT score- 19-24|
|Indiana University- South Bend||SAT score- 930-1140 ACT score- 18-23|
|University of Nebraska- Kearney||SAT score- 960-1110 ACT score- 19-26|
|Truman State University||SAT score- 1080-1330 ACT score- 24-30|
|Southeast Missouri State University||SAT score- 1030-1200 ACT score- 19-25|
|Southern Illinois University- Carbondale||SAT score- 970-1345 ACT score- 20-26|
|Coppin State University||SAT score- 820-970 ACT score- 17-22|
|Murray State University||SAT score- 1020-1240 ACT score- 21-27|
|California State University- Fresno||SAT score- 890-1110 ACT score- 16-21|
|South Dakota State University||SAT score- 1000-1300 ACT score- 20-26|
|Minnesota State University- Moorhead||ACT score- 19-24|
A foreign student may choose a community college over a private American university for several different reasons. Comparatively speaking, community institutions are less expensive than private universities. They offer an accommodating admissions process, and the majority of candidates are admitted. In contrast to private colleges’ four-year courses, the program’s length is only two years. Small class sizes are the north to facilitate the transfer of credits, community colleges have transfer agreements with private institutions.
According to statistics, community college students make up around one-fifth of all overseas students studying in the USA. Currently, community colleges in the US are enrolling more than 100,000 foreign students. Numerous factors, including affordability, a high admission rate, and others, drive a sizable portion of the foreign population to the nation’s community institutions.
The government permits international students who have earned an associate degree in two years from an American community college to look for optional practical training employment in the nation for one year. There is a requirement that must be met. The position must be directly related to the student’s topic of study. The individual must apply for OPT during the final semester of their associate degree to qualify for work under OPT.
This was all about the cheapest community colleges in the USA for international students. Do you want to study in the USA? Contact our Leverage Edu experts who will guide you and help you land your dream university.