Whether you are planning to work abroad, apply to universities or are trying to procure scholarships, a Character Certificate can be an important piece of document to attach to the application. It is just as important as a letter of recommendation. As the name suggests, this certificate essentially testifies to a clean character of a person and attests to the fact that there have been no criminal proceedings/ bad records against the said individual. In this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about a character certificate and the process to avail of the same.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Character Certificate?
- Types of a Character Certificate
- Uses of a Character Certificate
- How to Get a Character Certificate?
- How to Apply Online?
- Sample of a Character Certificate
- Character Certificate Sample for Students
- Character Certificate Sample Used in India
- Character Certificate General Sample
What is a Character Certificate?
A character certificate is a legal document issued by a government authority/ police, institution or an individual station that the individual does not have a criminal record or court cases in their name or a bad history in their previous institution. The reason institutions/governments require this document is to ensure that the person in correspondence will not prove to be a threat to their environment or the institution’s name. It is different from a bonafide certificate but just as important. It is also called a Police clearance certificate as the background check is done via the police. Usually, the form and mode of application of the document may vary depending on the institution or the authoritative body. The process of issuing this certificate involves cross-verifying relevant documents and financial records and a thorough analysis of the person’s conduct before issuing the certification.
Also Read: How to Write a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs?
Types of a Character Certificate
This document can be required in various places. Therefore different types of certificates exist, such as:
- Police character certificate
- Certificate for job
- Character certificate for student
- Character Certificate used in India
- General Character Certificate
Uses of a Character Certificate
The Character is used at various places and is an important document that is required during the application process of universities, jobs, etc. Following is the list of some of the uses of a character certificate:
- College/ University: It might be issued by the college/university to ensure that the student’s records will not tarnish the reputation of the university.
- Employment – In order to ascertain the conduct of the employee in the previous organization, these certificates can be mandatory to produce – both in public and private settings.
- Setting up a business – This document is necessary to produce while setting up businesses to ascertain that the person will carry out business honourably and display excellent business conduct.
- During immigration/travel – It is almost compulsory to produce a certificate during the visa process to ensure that the applicant is not involved in malevolent activities.
Also Read: Matriculation Certificate: The Different Types of Boards That Issue It
How to Get a Character Certificate?
If you have a clean history, good records and no criminal proceedings against you, then getting this certificate is the least of your problems. Here’s how you can get character certificates depending on the place of submission.
- For submitting a certificate in an academic setting, approach your previous college principal for the same. You are required to get a signature on the document attesting to your good behaviour whilst studying at the institution.
- While applying as a fresher contact your university for the same.
- If not a fresher, then ask your present employer for the same when switching job.
- In the case of immigration and travel, you will be required to produce a Police Character certificate that includes police verification.
- Or else you can also issue this certificate online from the respective state citizen-government website.
How to Apply Online?
Online portals are available on the respective state website for applying for the document. Any citizen is eligible to apply. The verification process takes about 10-12 working days after which the certificate will be made available on the website for download. Here are the steps to apply for the certificate.
- Register at the respective state website as a new user. You will find a section on character verification reports in the “citizens service section”.
- After your registration is complete login to your account with the generated ID and password.
- Fill in all the accurate details in the Character certificate application Form.
- To cross–verify all the information, you must mention the nearest police station in the area and the name of the district.
- Upload all the necessary documents and click ‘Save’.
- Then you will be required to pay a fee of 250 INR in order to complete the process.
There are certain documents required if you wish to apply for the certificate. They are mentioned below:
- Letter from Company / Application to Commissioner / Superintendent of Police for NOC
- Recent Passport Size Photo
- Signature on White Paper
- Age proof (SSC/HSC certificate, self-attested indemnity bond, birth certificate)
- ID proof (PAN card, driving license, election card, student card)
- Address proof (ration card, electricity bill, telephone bill, Aadhar card, passport, a letter from society)
Also Read: Internship Certificates: Meaning, Format and Samples
Sample of a Character Certificate
A character certificate can be created very easily using Microsoft Word. Given below is the format of a character certificate:
Character Certificate Sample for Students
Head of Department/Issuing Authority
This is to certify that (NAME OF THE STUDENT), S/o / D/o / (PARENTS NAME) has attended your institution from (START YEAR) to (END YEAR). The student holds good morale and exhibited good behaviour for the duration of their courses. The student has no records of violent behaviour or anti-social behaviour towards others.
Signature and or/Signature of Issuing Authority
Character Certificate Sample Used in India
In India, below is the format used as a Character Certificate.
Character Certificate General Sample
This is to certify that __________, residing at__________ is very familiar with me for the past few years. I believe that this person exhibits an excellent character and does not hold any criminal activities record nor have any pending cases against them as per my knowledge.
Explore: The Importance of a Letter of Recommendation
Ans. Contact your local Village Head or Panchayat Head to have your identity card confirmed. Once the Panchayat Head has accepted the verification, go to the police station and submit the paperwork requesting a certificate as soon as feasible.
Ans. Request for Character Certificate is one of the citizen services offered by Odisha Police as part of the CCTNS Initiative. Anyone is welcome to apply for the service. To use the service, citizens must first log in to the Portal. If the Citizen is new to the Portal, he must first register, which is a one-time activity.
Ans. By logging into CCTNS, a citizen can request the Character Certificate service online. Go to Citizen Services, then Character Certificate Request, then fill out the form.
Ans. Original CNIC or B-Form and photocopy. Original and copy of Passport. Affidavit. Authority Letter (If the applicant is abroad).
Here’s everything you need to know about Character certificates. We hope you find this helpful. Please apply for the certification through the official website with secure payment getaways. Beware of fake websites that claim to get you the certificate and ascertain the veracity of the sources. If you need help in admission to the university of your choice or need career guidance, get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts. Sign up for a free session today!