Whether you are planning to work abroad, apply to universities or are trying to procure scholarships, a Character Certificate can be an important piece of document to produce. It is just as important as a letter of recommendation. As the name suggests, this certificate essentially testifies for a clean character of a person and attests to the fact that there have been no criminal proceedings/ bad records against the said individual. In this blog, we cover everything you need to know about a Character certificate and the process to avail the same.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Character Certificate?
Character certificate is a legal document issued by a government authority/ police, institution or an individual station that the individual does not have a criminal record or court cases in their name or a bad history in their previous institution. The reason institutions/governments require this document is to ensure that the person in correspondence will not prove to be a threat to their environment or the institution’s name. It is different from a bonafide certificate but just as important. It is also called a Police clearance certificate as the background check is done via the police. Usually, the form and mode of application of the document may vary depending on the institution or the authoritative body. The process of issuing this certificate involves cross-verifying relevant documents and financial records and a thorough analysis of the person’s conduct before issuing the certification.
A character certificate can be required in various places. Therefore different types of certificates exist, such as:
- Police character certificate
- Certificate for job
- Character certificate for student
There are various uses of this certificate. They are mentioned below.
- College/ University: It might be issued by the college/university to ensure that the student’s records will not tarnish the reputation of the university.
- Employment – In order to ascertain the conduct of the employee in the previous organization, character certificates can be mandatory to produce – both in public and private settings.
- Setting up a business – This document is necessary to produce while setting up businesses to ascertain that the person will carry out business honorably and display excellent business conduct.
- During immigration/travel – it is almost compulsory to produce a character certificate during the visa process to ensure that the applicant is not involved in malevolent activities.
How to Get it?
If you have a clean history, good records and no criminal proceeding against you, then issuing a Character certificate is the least of your problems. Here’s how you can get character certificates depending upon the place of submission.
- For submitting a character certificate in an academic setting, approach your previous college principal for the same. You are required to get a signature on the document attesting your good behaviour whilst studying the institution.
- While applying as a fresher contact your university for the same.
- If not a fresher, then ask your present employer for the same when switching your job
- In the case of immigration and travel, you will be required to produce a Police Character certificate that includes police verification.
- Or else you can also issue a character certificate online from the respective state citizen-government website.
How to Apply Online?
Online portals are available on the respective state website for applying for the document. Any citizen is eligible to apply. The verification process takes about 10-12 working days after which the certificate will be made available on the website for download. Here are the steps to apply for the certificate.
- Register of the respective state website as a new user. You will find a section of character verification report in the “citizens service section”.
- After your registration is complete login to your account with the generated ID and password.
- Fill in all the accurate details in the Character certificate application Form.
- To cross – verify all the information, you must mention the nearest police station in the area and the name of the district.
- Upload all the necessary documents and click ‘Save’.
- You are required to pay a fee of 250 INR in order to complete the process.
There are certain documents required if you wish to apply for the certificate. They are mentioned below:
- Letter from Company / Application to Commissioner / Superintendent of Police for NOC
- Recent Passport Size Photo
- Signature on White Paper
- Age proof (SSC/HSC certificate, self-attested indemnity bond, birth certificate)
- ID proof (PAN card, driving license, election card, student card)
- Address proof (ration card, electricity bill, telephone bill, aadhar card, passport, a letter from society)
Sample of a Character Certificate
A character certificate can be created very easily using Microsoft Word using temple. Given below is the format of a character certificate:
Police Character Certificate Sample
Character Certificate Sample for Jobs
Here’s everything you need to know about Character certificates. We hope you find this helpful. Please apply for the certification through the official website with secure payment getaways. Beware of fake websites that claim to get you the certificate and ascertain the veracity of the sources. If you need help in admission to the university of your choice or need career guidance, get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts. Sign up for a free session today!