The tourism industry is known for career opportunities and the perks that it comes with. It is one of the fastest-growing industries with opportunities that one can explore and look forward to. The tourism industry not only has a lot of employment opportunities but also has interesting future prospects that involve travelling, guiding trips etc. and not to forget the well-paid job that comes with it. Students of Travel and Tourism have opportunities available in both the sectors which automatically gives you leads you to a path of a bright future. This blog will guide you through a career in Travel and Tourism and make you familiar with the various job prospects that this industry entails.
Also Read: Travel and Tourism Course after 12th
This Blog Includes:
Exploring a Career in Travel and Tourism Industry
If you are a student of Travel and Tourism or if you are planning to study in this field and are looking for the various prospects that this field entails before investing your future in it, then here are some job options for a career in Travel and Tourism.
- Travel Agent: You might be familiar with what a travel agent does as you might have encountered a few while travelling, but the role of a travel agent does not end there. A travel agent researches, plans, and organizes trips for individuals and groups. A travel agent usually works for a travel agency which organizes various business and leisure trips and makes sure that the tourists and travellers have a comfortable journey and makes sure that their stay is comfortable. Other things that a travel agent works for is to make sure that the customers get comfortable accommodation, visas, travel, foreign exchange etc.
- Tour Operator: A tour operator usually combines various tours and travel components in order to create a package for a group or an individual. A tour operator usually has expertise in managing a package for a specific location and hence becomes a reliable source for the tourists to get an affordable package with a smooth and comfortable tour and journey.
- Hotel Manager: A hotel manager supervises various activities involved in running a hotel. This career in Travel and Tourism is demanding but extremely rewarding. A hotel manager is responsible for comfortable accommodation and good catering services for an individual. A hotel manager has to make sure that the hotel is functioning properly from housekeeping to budget management and marketing of the hotel. As a hotel manager, you need to also make sure that the hotel complies with the safety and health regulations. To become a hotel manager you need to have good communication skills and experience in hotel management.
Also Read: Career in Hotel Management [Complete Study Guide]
- Tour Guide: One of the most sought after jobs to build a career in Travel and Tourism, a tour guide gives a guided tour to a group of tourists or an individual. A tour guide provides assistance and information on historical sites, religious institutes, museums, sanctuaries and national parks or a place of cultural importance. A tour guide needs to have a thorough knowledge of these destinations, their history, geographical conditions and other relevant information. In order to become a tour guide, you need to develop good communication skills, fluency in foreign languages and information about the local area and a familiarity with the same.
- P R Manager: A public relations manager looks at the various aspects of managing the reputation of a travelling agency or any other firm in the market. A PR manager is responsible for advertising and spreading information about an agency in order to build a good reputation for it in the market. A PR Manager in this industry usually works for a travel agency, hotel chains and airlines. A PR Manager also needs to write press releases, manage events and act as a coordinator between various departments of the firm. A PR Manager usually needs to have good communication and management skills and should be able to handle any potential crisis. This is a lucrative career in Travel and Tourism.
- Event Manager: An event manager is responsible for organizing, planning and supervising various logistics of an event. An event manager also acts as a coordinator who meets the various demands of a client. The events may vary from a concert to a conference.
Travel and Tourism: Jobs Profiles & Salary
Travel and Tourism are some of the fastest-growing industries in the world. The industry encompasses diverse sectors like Airlines, Hotel and Hospitality, International Travel, Food and Catering, Entertainment, Digital Marketing Industry, Logistics and Transportation, Adventure Sports, Event Management, Hotel Management, Sales and Marketing, Public Relations, Freelancing etc. Individuals interested in cultivating a career in travel and tourism can go for these job profiles:
|Job Profile||Average Salary/per annum|
|Hotel Manager||Rs 5- 6 lakhs|
|Event Manager||Rs 3-4 lakhs|
|Food and Beverage Director||Rs 12-16 lakhs|
|Front Office Manager||Rs 3 to 4 lakhs|
|Human Resource Manager||Rs 7- 8 lakhs|
|Travel Agent/Consultant||Rs 3 -4 lakhs|
|Conventional Manager||Rs 5-6 lakhs|
|Content Marketing Manager||Rs 6-7 lakhs|
|Tour Guide||Rs 2 – 3 lakhs|
|PR Manager||Rs 4-5 lakhs|
|Travel Writer/Blogger||Rs 3-4 lakhs|
|Travel Photographer||Rs 6 -7 lakhs|
|Corporate Travel Agent||Rs 5-6 lakhs|
Must Read: How to be a Travel Writer?
Top Companies in Travel and Tourism
Here are the best companies for individuals who wish to kick-start a career in Travel and Tourism:
- Cox & Kings Ltd.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd
- Travix Leisure & Travels Pvt. Ltd.
- SOTC Travel Limited
- NDTV GoodTimes
- Mahindra Holidays
- Swan Tours
- Jet Airways
- India Healthcare Tourism (IHCT)
- East India Travel Co
- National Geographic
- Air Asia
- American Express Global Business Travels
Here are some popular courses for building a strong career in Travel and Tourism. Courses listed down below are for all individuals who wish to enter the market at different entry points.
- BA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BA in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Management
- BSc. in Travel and Tourism Management
- BA Tourism Studies
- BA in Travel and Tourism
- BSc. in Hospitality and Travel Management
- BBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BBA in Hospitality and Travel Management
- BBA in Air Travel Management
- BA/BSc in Aviation
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Tourism Studies
- Diploma in Aviation, Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Tourist Guide
- Diploma in Tourism and Ticketing
- Diploma in Airfare and Ticketing
These courses are ideal for graduates and postgraduates who wish to advance in their careers:
- MBA in Hospitality Management
- MBA in Airport Management
- Master of Tourism Administration
- Master of Tourism and Hotel Management
- MBA in Travel & Tourism
- MA/MSc Hospitality Management with Specialization in Travel, Leisure & Tourism
- PGDM in Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Management
Top Travel and Tourism Colleges in India
- Indian Institute of Hospitality and Management – Thane
- Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management – Gwalior
- Christ University – Bangalore
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- TATA Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Amity Institute of Travel & Tourism – Noida
- National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management – Hyderabad
- Kerala Institute of Tourism & Travel Studies
- Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management – Bhubaneswar
- Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management – Noida
- Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management – Goa
- Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management – Nellore
- Centre for Tourism Studies, Pondicherry University
- Indian Institute of Hotel and Tourism Management, Ghaziabad
- Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management
- Thomas Cook-Centre of Learning
- Blue Whale Academy
- Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Hotel and Tourism Management Studies
- School of Hotel Management and Tourism
- Academy of Business Management, Tourism, & Research
- Al-Ameen Institute of Management Studies, Hosur, Bangalore.
- Bundelkhand University, School of Tourism & Hotel Management, Jhansi
Yes, a career in travel and tourism is not only adventurous but also lucrative. It is one of the fastest growing sectors in the world with an increasing turnover and career opportunities that the world becomes more interconnected.
Travel and Tourism is a wide industry and includes jobs like travel consultant, tour guide, hotel manager, event planner, content manager, PR manager, corporate travel guide etc.
Individuals can enrol in a bunch of regular or part-time courses to start a career in travel and tourism. They can take up internships or jobs with the top companies or try freelancing to get their career started.
The highest paying job in tourism is the Food and Beverage Director and General Manager of a top-tier international hotel chain. Travel and tourism is an evolving industry which has created several job opportunities for job seekers as well as entrepreneurs.
Yes, Tourism is an easy and fun course to learn about the industry, geography, culture and some relevant soft skills to advance in the career.
The opportunities for a career in Travel and Tourism are vast which makes it difficult for students to choose something specific and build a career in it. If you are unsure about the kind of career you want in this industry then feel free to contact our experts at Leverage Edu who will guide you through this process.