Travel photography has emerged as an excellent career option for those who have an inclination towards both travel and photography. This career provides an interesting opportunity for people to put their photography skills and interests to use. Even though a camera is all you need to become a travel photographer, there are a few additional requirements that can help you excel in this domain. Read through the blog to know more about a career in travel photography.
This Blog Includes:
Do you know 74% of the travellers use social media while travelling and 97% of Millenials are known to be involved in sharing travel images!
What is Travel Photography?
Travel Photography is a branch of photography that deals with the travel and tourism industry. A travel photographer is a professional responsible for the photographic documentation of a region’s landscape, people, cultures, customs and history. One may call a travel photo an image that expresses the feeling of a time and place which in the truest sense, portrays a land, its people, or a culture.
For those who wish to become a travel photographer, they must possess the following skills:
- Strong visual skills
- Creative skills
- Eye for detail
- Strong socialising skills
- Advanced Photoshop skills
- Ability to be on themselves
- Willingness to travel
- Good imaginative skills
Although there are no specific eligibility criteria for becoming a travel photographer, aspiring candidates must know what the generic criteria is. To pursue a career in travel photography, an individual must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have completed XIIth from a recognized board.
- Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in related fields.
- Candidates with prior experience in work related to the tourism photography industry are preferred.
- Candidates must possess the required skillset.
How to Become a Travel Photographer?
To become a travel photographer, an aspiring candidate should follow the given steps.
- Candidates should begin with learning the basics of photography by signing up for courses available in photography.
- Once they have acquired the skills they should then move on to creating their own unique style of photography. One must find their niche and master it.
- They can then build a strong portfolio for themselves after they have specialised in their own niche.
- They should be actively involved in promoting their work on social media to generate exposure.
- Finally using their portfolio and social media they must try pitching in clients.
Courses in Travel Photography
It is important that students understand certain technical terms, lenses used, subjects, etc. to make a successful career in travel photography. The following are the courses for travel photography.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Travel Photography
- Diploma in Travel Photography
- Diploma in Travel and Nature Photography
- Certificate Course in Advanced Travel Photography
- Certificate Course in Nature and Wildlife Photography
Top Universities Abroad
For becoming a travel photographer, students can apply for the following colleges abroad.
- Central Michigan University
- Ball State University
- Academy of Art University
- University of the Arts, London
- RMIT University
Also Read: Fashion Photography
Top Colleges in India
Listed below are the top colleges where students can apply to pursue a career in travel photography in India.
- Delhi College of Photography
- Light and Life Academy
- Asian Academy of Film and Television
- Sir JJ Institute of Applied Arts
- National Institute of Photography
- Pixel Institute of Photography
Given the pandemic situation, a large section of the student population started looking for ways to pursue courses in a safe manner. For those interested in pursuing travel photography they can pursue the online courses mentioned below.
Travel Photography now has a wide scope due to the expansion of the travel and tourism industry. Students who pursue this field, have a list of job roles they can apply for based on their particular area of interest. Some of the popular jobs after pursuing travel photography are.
- Travel Blogger
- Freelance Travel Photographer
The salary of travel photographers varies depending upon years of experience and field of expertise. However, in the initial stages, the salary is slightly less and with time, the salary is expected to rise. The annual average salary of a Travel Photographer in India ranges between ₹ 2.5 Lakhs to ₹ 6 Lakhs.
So, this was all about a career in travel photography. Hope this blog has helped you with the necessary details for making a successful career in this field. If you require assistance in choosing the right university, our Leverage Edu experts can guide you through the process. Sign up for a free session right away!