Undergraduate travel and tourism courses are offered under the designation BA (Travel and Tourism) or Bachelor of Arts in Travel and Tourism. All leisure, comfortable, and business travel goods and services are collectively referred to as travel and tourism. These suppliers include airlines, hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators, gaming casinos, dining establishments, railroads, motor coaches, and theme parks. Continue reading to know more about BA Travel and Tourism: Eligibility Criteria, Top universities and more.
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 or equivalent from a recognised board|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test|
|Total Fees||INR 1.8 lakhs – 6 lakhs|
This Blog Includes:
BA Travel and Tourism: Overview
The BA Travel and Tourism Studies is an undergraduate degree programme in travel and tourism. The programme has gained popularity over time as a result of the tourism and hospitality industries’ explosive growth. Find the specifics of this programme listed below.
- The course will educate you on many facets of the tourism and hospitality industries during your three years of undergraduate study in the BA Tourism programme.
- It offers information on a range of travel-related topics, including tourism policies, tourism economics, travel planning, travel management, hotel management, tourism geography, working in the resort, cruise ship, and airline industries, as well as tourism writing.
- In addition to the aforementioned topics, the course also teaches you about behaviour, communication, customer service, and a lot more. After taking this course, you will notice a noticeable improvement in your ability to communicate with others.
- Most tourism studies courses place importance on learning one of the many foreign languages because foreign visitors contribute significantly to the tourism industry.
Also Read: Hotel Management Courses
Why Study BA Travel and Tourism?
The BA in tourism is becoming more and more popular among today’s students. Discover some of the explanations for why this programme is becoming more and more well-liked and why everyone should enrol in it.
- One of the industries with the fastest growth is the tourism and hospitality industry. In fact, according to one study, this industry accounts for 10% of all jobs worldwide. As a result, this industry is experiencing a significant increase in job opportunities.
- This is a good field for people who love to travel and visit far-off places because many jobs in the tourism sector involve travel.
- In this industry, there is room for entrepreneurship. One may own their own travel agency, guide service, transportation company, or even operate a hotel after gaining experience in the industry.
- The programme is helpful for those who want to learn more about the tourism industry.
- The curriculum for the BA in tourism is quite intriguing and includes both theoretical and practical training components.
- There are many opportunities for career advancement, and the average salaries and benefits are quite alluring.
To pursue BA Travel and Tourism, you need to meet the following requirements:
- A passing grade in 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognised educational institution is the prerequisite for applying to a BA in tourism programme.
- Candidates may come from any field, including the arts, business, or sciences.
- Some colleges demand 50% or more on the 10+2 exam.
- The candidate should be proficient in the English language or must have studied English in grade 10+2, though this is not required for all programmes.
- It helps if you have excellent customer service and communication skills because the tourism sector is more of a service industry.
The majority of universities use direct admission, but some use entrance exams for admission to this programme. The grades earned in class 12 are typically used as the basis for direct admission. However, the requirements for admission vary from college to college. Before submitting the application form, candidates must read all of the instructions.
- Merit-based, entrance-based, or both criteria may be used for admission to this programme.
- Some universities administer their own entrance tests.
- Based on class 12th-grade marks, a cutoff is announced. Candidates who fall within the cutoff range will receive a call for the next step.
- Candidates will be invited to participate in a counselling session during which they must lock their seats.
- Candidates must complete an application and pay the necessary fees.
- All original documents and self-attested photocopies must be carried by candidates.
BA Travel and Tourism: Syllabus
|Business Statistics||Financial Accounting|
|Communication Skills in English||Indian Constitution, Secularism and Sustainable Environment|
|Critical Reasoning, Writing, and Presentation||Reading Literature in English|
|Fundamentals of Tourism||Tourism Principles Practices and Ethics|
|History of Tourism||Translation and Communication in Languages other than English|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Business Regulatory Framework||Culture and Civilization|
|History and Philosophy of Science||IT for Business|
|Literature and Contemporary Issues||Introduction to Hospitality|
|Tourism in India||Tourism Industry, Travel Geography, and Travel Management|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Air Fares & Ticketing||Entrepreneurship Development|
|Business Research Methods||Innovative Practices in Tourism|
|Event Management||Principles of Marketing|
|Hotel Operation||Project Work|
|Human Resource Management||–|
|Travel Agency and Tour Operation Management||–|
Top Colleges for BA Travel and Tourism
Here are some of the top colleges to pursue BA Travel and Tourism course in India. Check them out!
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||Jalandhar||INR 1,76,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 70,000|
|RIG Institute of Hotel Management||Greater Noida||INR 160,000|
|Himachal Pradesh University (HPU)||Shimla||INR 10,000|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 60,000|
|Surana College||Bangalore||INR 25,000|
|Indian Academy Degree College||Bangalore||INR 61,700|
|SAMS Group of Institutions||Varanasi||INR 80,000|
|Roorkee College||Roorkee||INR 39,600|
|Scott Hotel Management Institute||Kolkata||INR 50,000|
|Presidency College of Hotel Management||Bangalore||INR 3,00,000|
|Govt. Degree College||Shimla||INR 2,388|
Job Profiles and Salary
The table below lists some of the most common job descriptions in the field of tourism studies.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Tourism Marketing Manager||INR 4,00,000|
|Travel Manager||INR 3,00,000|
|Travel Agent||INR 2,00,000|
|Immigration Consultant||INR 3,00,000|
|Tour Guide||INR 2,00,000|
Also Read: How to Become a Tour Manager?
Future opportunities for BA Travel and Tourism are numerous. Here are a few of the most well-known:
- After completing this course, one can choose to work in this industry or enrol in a postgraduate programme.
- The Master of Tourism and Travel Management (MTTM), Master of Science in Hospitality Administration (MHA), and Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel Operation are some of the well-known postgraduate degree and diploma programmes in travel and tourism (PGDHO).
- Since many colleges offer various levels of tourism-related programmes, a career in tourism also offers a rewarding teaching career.
- Graduates of the BA in Travel and Tourism may pursue a career in the equally promising field of travel writing or blogging.
Ans. The BA travel and tourism degree programme last three years. There are 96 credits in the programme. For students interested in pursuing a career in the travel and tourism industry at various levels, the BTS Program has been created.
Ans. Candidates have two options after completing the course: either continue their education by enrolling in a master’s programme, or choose to work in industries like travel agencies, hotels, airlines, etc.
Ans. It covers topics like hotel management, tourism development, tourism management, and the transportation industry. After completing the course, there are numerous career options both in India and abroad.
This was all about BA travel and tourism. Subscribe to Leverage Edu for more such informative blogs. If you’re planning to study abroad, connect with our experts at 1800 57 2000 and book your 30-minute free consultation.