Environment degradation is a real problem faced by us today. The damage is much more than the restoration being done. Various studies have revealed that if we stop human intervention in Mother Nature, especially the huge number of tourists at the Amazon forests, Himalayas or other important ecological reserves, nature will heal on its own. But it will be a gradual process. Sustainable tourism, which aims at minimizing the negative impact of tourism, has now come into practice in many countries. If you’re looking for some tourism jobs or planning to make a career in Sustainable Tourism, then, let us take you through all that you need to know, via this blog.
This Blog Includes:
What is Sustainable Tourism?
WHO defines Sustainable Tourism as “Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities.” Sustainable Tourism promotes optimal use of environmental resources that account as a key element of tourism and maintains ecological balance leading to conservation of biodiversity as well as natural heritage. It also emphasizes on retaining the authenticity of host communities by conserving their cultural heritage and traditional values. It fosters long-term socio-economic benefits including stable employment and income-earning opportunities to the host communities.
The overcrowding at most of the tourist places around the world has led to severe repercussions, thus, it has now become essential to practice Sustainable Tourism for a sustainable future. In this respect, many universities have now started to provide full-time courses so that candidates can kick start their career in Sustainable Tourism with rock-solid foundations. Listed below are the popular courses in Sustainable Tourism-
- Masters in International Sustainable Tourism Management
- MSc Management and Sustainable Tourism
- MSc Tourism Management
- MA Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Masters in Sustainable Tourism Management
- MSc Leisure, Tourism and Environment
- MBA in Sustainable Tourism
- MSc/ PGDip/ PGCert Responsible Tourism Management
- MA in International Tourism Development
- MSc in International Hospitality and Tourism Management
- MSc International Tourism Management
- Masters in Tourism Marketing and Management
- MSc International Tourism Destination Management
Must Read: Travel and Tourism Course after 12th
Course Structure and Curriculum
The program focuses on environmental, social, and economic aspects of tourism in order to equip the candidates with the necessary skills to generate sustainable development solutions, to combat the challenges faced by the tourism industry. A thorough understanding of the notion of sustainability in terms of socio-economic impacts, sustainability-based marketing along with ideal practices for the planning of sustainable tourism is a part of the course structure. Let us have a look at some of the popular subjects of these courses-
|Tourism Sustainability and Climate Change||Service Delivery Risk and Resilience||Sustainable Tourism: Best vs Worst Practices|
|Social Economic and Cultural Impacts Maximizing Benefits||Contemporary Issues in Human Resource Management||Protecting Cultural Heritage, Promoting Sense of Place|
|Managing Strategic Change||Introduction to Sustainable Tourism and Rural Development||Managing Creativity and Innovation|
|Managing Tourism’s Socio-economic Impacts||Achieving Sustainability Balance: People, Planet and Profit||Engaging and Education Visitors in Sustainability Practices|
Certificate courses in sustainable tourism
Read on below to know about some of the online courses of Sustainable tourism development and click on them to start your certification at affordable prices:
- Planet-Centered Design: Public – Planet Partnerships
- Fundamental of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Solid Waste Management
- Sustainable Development: Business Fundamentals
- Eco-friendly logistics – An introduction to Green Shipping
- Ecological Design Concepts
Top Colleges of India 2021
Enlisted below are the best institutes for pursuing your career in Sustainable tourism with their corresponding fees:
|Narsee Monjee Institute of Management, Mumbai||INR 2,06,000|
|IGNOU, Delhi||INR 7,000|
|Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow||INR 19,05,000|
|Indian Institute of Forest Management, Madhya Pradesh||INR 6,24,000|
|TERI School of Advanced Studies, New Delhi||INR 10, 25,000|
|Terna Public Charitable Trust’s Engineering College, Navi Mumbai||INR 9,21,500|
|Amity School of Natural Resources & Sustainable Development, Noida||INR 3,20,000|
Listed below are the top universities in the world offering the above-mentioned and likely courses in sustainable tourism-
- University of Glasgow
- GBSB Global Business School
- Wageningen University and Research
- Coventry University
- Leeds Beckett University
- University of Northampton
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Eastern Finland
- University of Brighton
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Monash University
Also Read: Career in Travel and Tourism
If you are looking forward to setting up a career in Sustainable Tourism, the first and foremost step is to apply for the desired course. In order to do so, mentioned below are some key points related to admission requirements that you must keep in mind-
- Basic education of 10 + 2 from a recognised board
- A UG degree in related fields with minimum GPA required
- Minimum required score in GMAT or GRE as per the program’s requirement
- A good score in IELTS, TOEFL or any other English language proficiency exam
- SOP and LOR in the prescribed format
Tips to Make a Successful Career in Sustainable Tourism
Here’s what tourism professionals suggest in terms of getting a foot into the sustainable tourism door:
- Bring the Right Skills – Learn the skills of listening, engaging, motivating, and communication is the key to a successful career dedicated to making tourism more sustainable.
- Don’t Look for a Job in just “Sustainable Development” – It isn’t a business sector or discipline with established procedures and career paths. So to succeed as a professional in this sector, make sure that this is what you really want to pursue and not follow just the trend.
- Collect Field Experience – By having the field experience, a candidate also widens his horizon, which is essential for success as a tourism professional.
- Determine Best Initiatives – It means starting up from a scratch is also very time and energy-consuming and know how you can support and/or complement existing initiatives.
- Focus on the Impact – Work with industry and make sure it isn’t about the outputs but the impact a person is making: be it your research publication or as a practitioner.
Jobs & Salary
Thriving career opportunities await you in the field of Sustainable Tourism. Through the attributes of the course, you will be a tourism professional who will be capable of coping with the challenges faced by environmental, social and economic changes. You will be an ideal candidate for specialised managerial roles in the tourism industry.
Following are the most prominent jobs under Sustainable Tourism with their respective average base salary:
|Job Profiles||Average Salary|
|Sustainable Tour Guide||INR 2 lakhs – 3 lakhs|
|Sustainable Tourism Educator||INR 2 lakhs – 3 lakhs|
|Environmental Architecture||INR 4 lakhs – 5 lakhs|
|Sustainable Tourism Developer & Planner||INR 2 lakhs – 5 lakhs|
|Travel Writer||INR 3 lakhs – 4 lakhs|
|Sustainable Tourism Transport||Ranges around INR 5 lakhs|
|Tourism Advisor||INR 3 lakhs – 4 lakhs|
|Tourism Operator||Ranges around INR 3 lakhs|
|Environmental Consultants||INR 5 lakhs – 6 lakhs|
Check Out: Jobs in Travel and Tourism
We hope that through this comprehensive guide, you are now familiar with a route to establish a career in sustainable tourism. If you are someone who has always loved the mountains and oceans and the flora and fauna, which are a comprehensive part of our ecosystem, and you want to give back to where we all take from but don’t know how to start, then get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts today. Get the right guidance to accelerate your career by choosing the right education by means of which you can lay the foundation of the better world. A world you want to build for the generations to come!