With the changing scenario, the world of medical sciences has grown exponentially. One would’ve never been able to figure out the thing that’s been irritating or hurting them since long underneath their skin if radiology wasn’t available to our rescue. These radiographers share a crucial space in medical care. They are the ones responsible for a briefing about the functioning of radiographs or x-rays to patients and doctors, to sort their queries. We could have never figured out the sensitivities of human anatomy if it weren’t the radiologists. If you are planning to pursue a career in radiology then here is everything about MD in Radiology.
|Degree||Doctor of Medicine in Radiology|
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Eligibility||MBBS + Internship|
|Entrance Exams||MCAT, NEET-PG, IELTS, TOEFL etc|
|Admission Fees||INR 40,000 per annum to 20 lakhs per annum|
|Average Salary||21 lakhs per annum (According to Glassdoor)|
|Jobs||MRI technician, radiologist, radiology technologists, radiographer, ultrasound technician, diagnostic medical sonographer, CT scan technologist, etc|
Must Read: BSc Radiology – Is it the Right Career for You?
This Blog Includes:
- What is Radiology?
- MD in Radiology Course
- Top Universities Abroad for MD in Radiology
- Top Universities in India for MD in Radiology
- Entry Requirements for MD Radiology
- MD Radiology Admission
- MD Radiology Syllabus
- Books for MD Radiology
- Career Prospects after MD Radiology
What is Radiology?
Radiology is a branch of medical science which deals with the study of inner functioning of human anatomy with the use of modern technologies. Radiology, in modern terms, is also known as diagnostic-imaging. It includes a comprehensive study and brief understanding of X-rays and high energy radiations to help decipher the issue which is beyond the general understanding of doctors. It helps curate illness and increases the chances of possibilities, if any. A radiologist is a physician who assists the medical team and plays a crucial part in providing the best of his knowledge with the use of highly advanced technological equipment or radio-technology.
Types and Techniques
Radiology involves various techniques. There are 6 major techniques involved in it. These are:
- CT Scan
How to Study MBBS in Australia?
MD in Radiology Course
MD in Radiology is a 3 year postgraduate medical course, offered by various institutions in India and abroad. This branch of medical science primarily deals with the study of radiations. It helps to gain knowledge regarding image formations, radiography, radiations, CT scans, MRI scans, mammography, etc. This field of study helps one to specialize in the same. It builds the skill set that is requisite for interpretation, execution and organization of various imaging studies. This programme is also suitable for those who are planning to pursue a career further in academia. It’s one of the great fields to carry a research work. During the formative years, one learns a lot about the use of advanced technology which surrounds this entire branch of medical science. This programme is not just interesting, but also challenging at its best.
Must Read: BSc Radiology and Imaging Technology
After specializing in MD in radiology, a person can join any radiological sciences/diagnostic laboratory as a radiologist. One can also get themselves admitted into any medical and educational institutions and contribute to their specialized studies and practices. Specializations offered by MD in radiology:
- Cardiovascular imaging
- Breast imaging
- Gastrointestinal radiology
- Pediatric radiology
- Radiation oncology, etc.
Must Read: Diploma in Radiology
Top Universities Abroad for MD in Radiology
The following are the popular universities abroad for MD in Radiology
|Universities QS World Ranking 2023|
|Harvard University, USA 5|
|Stanford University, USA 3|
|King’s College London 37|
|Imperial College, London 6|
|University College London 8|
|Johns Hopkins University, USA 24|
|Heidelberg University, Germany 65|
|University of Toronto, Canada 34|
|University of California, San Francisco –|
Top Universities in India for MD in Radiology
The following are the popular institutes in India for MD Rdaiology:
- AIIMS, Delhi
- Vydehi institute of medical sciences and research centre, Bangalore
- Shri Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon
- KPC Medical college and hospital, Kolkata.
- BJMC, Pune
- Dr. BR Ambedkar medical college, Bangalore
- NMCH Sasaram, Narayan Medical College and Hospital, Bihar
Also Read: Courses after MBBS You Must Consider
Entry Requirements for MD Radiology
There are following eligibility requirements for students to meet to pursue MD in Radiology. These are:
- Whether you aim to study in India or in a foreign university, colleges offering MD in Radiology only accept students with an educational background in science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics) at their 10+2 education level.
- Further, like many other medical science courses, you might also require appearing for NEET examinations, irrespective of studies in India or abroad.
- You can also apply for various other degree courses in countries like the USA and the UK, where radiology is a much more developed and technologically advanced discipline that offers students innumerable opportunities to enhance and grow well there academically.Students are required to sit for MCAT/PLAB to enrol in some universities in foreign countries.
- If you are planning to pursue this course abroad, then you will also be required to undertake various English language proficiency test scores, like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/Duolingo.
- Apart from the above eligibility criteria, students also need to have a competitive SOP, essays, LORs and other documents as required by the university.
Here Are Top 10 Medical Courses That Accepts Students Without NEET
MD Radiology Admission
The admission process for MD Radiology differs from country to country. All universities require students to possess an MBBS as a part of the admission process and require students to take entrance exams like MCAT, PLAB, IELTS, TOEFL, OET etc.
- For instance, to seek admission in MD Radiology in UK, students are required to give English proficiency tests like IELTS and OET exam.
- Similarly for MD in Radiology in Germany, students are required to display a level of German proficiency to study Medical PGcourses in the country.
MD Radiology Syllabus
Although the syllabus of MD Radiology varies from college to college, here are some subjects that found the core of the syllabus structure that you’ll be taught in a college or university. The syllabus is further divided into two parts:
|Part 1 Part 2|
|Basic concepts -structure of atom Musculo — skeletal system|
|Production of X- rays Respiratory system|
|Interaction of radiation with matter Cardiovascular system|
|Interaction of radiation with matter Gastrointestinal system|
|Fluoroscopy Urogenital tract|
|Special radiography CNS including Spine|
|Modern Imaging systems Imaging of Obstetrics & Gynecology|
|Nuclear Medicine ENT, EYES, Teeth, Soft tissue, Breast|
|Radiation Biology Endocrine System|
|Radiation protection Clinically applied Radio— Nuclide imaging|
Books for MD Radiology
The following are the popular books for MD Radiology
- Radiology Review Manual by Wolfgang F. Dahnert
- Core Radiology: A Visual Approach to Diagnostic Imaging by Jacob Mandell
- Abdominal Radiology
- Atlas of Normal Roentgen Variants That May Simulate Disease
- Radiology at a Glance
- Radiography PREP by Dorothy A. Saia
Also Read: Paramedical Courses List
Career Prospects after MD Radiology
An MD in Radiology prepares you for specialised roles in emergency care centres, trauma centres and hospitals, amongst others that require specialized knowledge in diagnosing diseases and treating injuries using medical imaging. A few of these career prospects are given below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Salary Per Annum (INR)|
|Radiologist Assistant||Practice advanced radiologic technologies and works under the radiologist||20,00,00|
|Radiologic Technologists||Responsible for accurately positioning patients and ensuring that a quality diagnostic image is produced||35,00,000|
|MRI Technician||Responsible and administers magnetic resonance imaging for overall diagnosis||20,00,000|
|Radiographer||Professionals who operate special scanning machines that make images for medical purposes||20,00,000|
Must Read: How to Become a Doctor?
Radiology is a branch of medical science which deals with the study of inner functioning of human anatomy with the use of modern technologies. Radiology, in modern terms, is also known as diagnostic-imaging. It includes a comprehensive study and brief understanding of X-rays and high energy radiations to help decipher the issue which is beyond the general understanding of doctors.
The following are the popular specialisations in MD radiology:
The following are the common techniques used in MD radiology:
Want to build a successful career in Radiology? Then sign up for a free session today with Leverage Edu on 1800-572-000 and get started!