Australia is home to some of the best and most competitive dental schools in the world. Australia offers several courses for dentistry, such as the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), The Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS). It is counted among the most expensive and rewarding degrees with an ROI of A$200,000 (INR 1,11,18,118) per year. There are many reputed Dental Schools in Australia. Leverage Edu brings you a blog with detailed information about Dental Schools in Australia.
|Eligibility||AAA to AAB at A-Level (or equivalent), including Chemistry and Biology and passing the UKCAT or BMAT, tests|
|Job Positions||Prosthodontist, Pedodontist, Dentist, Dental Hygienist, Oral Pathologist, Dental Surgeon|
|Work Places||Hospitals, Dental Clinics, Indian Armed Force, International Welfare Organisations|
This Blog Includes:
- What is Dentistry?
- Why should you have dentistry in Australia?
- Types of Dentists
- Dentistry Courses in Australia
- Top Dental Schools in Australia
- Eligibility For Dentistry Course
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
- Career Scope for Dental Students in Australia
What is Dentistry?
Dentistry is a broad field that not only takes care of the health of your teeth but also treats all problems related to the human cranium including the jaw, skull and facial area. A dentist makes sure that all maxillofacial structures are functioning well, that everything is healthy, and that everything is in its right place. Students study the general health of the oral cavity in dentistry classes.
Students access various dental procedures as well as methods of diagnosis and treatment and the tools needed to put them into practice. Dental care not only includes implants, extractions and cavity treatments but also teaches individuals how to avoid these issues early. Most of the students work as dentists or dental assistants after graduation.
Why should you have dentistry in Australia?
Before knowing how to become a dentist in Australia, it is important to know why you should take a dental course there, the reasons are mentioned below –
Dentistry is a highly competitive field and students need to be equipped with the best possible skills to be competitive. Dental Schools in Australia offer world-class programs that are guaranteed to provide students with the skills they need to be successful in dentistry.
The climate is favourable for dental research. Dentists in Australia are passionate about their work and are always looking for new ways to improve patient care. This drive has led to the development of many innovative technologies and treatments that have revolutionised the way dentists practice their profession.
Cost of Education
Tuition fees are low compared to other countries. Dental Schools in Australia offer some of the lowest tuition fees in the world, making them accessible to students of all economic classes. The reputation of Australian Dentists is uncompromisingly high.
Types of Dentists
- General Dentist
- Oral Pathologist or Oral Surgeon
- Pedodontist or Paediatric Dentist
- Endodontist or Root Canal Specialist
- Periodontist or Gum Specialist
With UniConnect, you can stand a chance to be part of the world’s first and largest online university fair, where you can get in direct contact with a representative of the university of your choice.
Dentistry Courses in Australia
The Dentistry courses available in Australia are categorised as Diploma, Bachelor’s and Master’s. They have been mentioned below.
- Advanced Diploma in Dental Hygiene
- Advanced Diploma in Dentistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- BSc Hons Advanced Dental Nursing
- BDS Honours Dental Surgery with a Preliminary year
- Bachelor of Oral Health
- BDS Honours Dentistry
- BSc Oral Health
- BSc Dental Therapy
- Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS)
- MSc Paediatric Dentistry
- Master of Dental Public and Primary Health
- Oral Science MSc
- MSc Dental Science for Clinical Practice
- MSc Clinical Dentistry
- Master of Science in Dental Sciences
- Regenerative Dentistry MSc
- MClinDent Dental Implantology
- Master of Dentistry
- MSc Forensic Dentistry
- Dental Public Health MSc
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery MSc
- MDS Endodontics
- MSc Dental Technology
- Master of Philosophy Oral Health
- MSc Advanced Restorative Dentistry
- MSc in Endodontology
- Dentistry – MSc by Research
- MPhil in Dental Health Sciences
You can choose the course and university of your choice with the help of AI Course Finder.
Top Dental Schools in Australia
- James Cook University
- The University of Melbourne
- Griffith University
- The University of Adelaide
- Charles Sturt University
- The University of Western Australia (UWA)
- TAFE NSW
- Curtin University
- University of Newcastle
- The University of Sydney
- La Trobe University
- University of Queensland
- TAFE Queensland
Eligibility For Dentistry Course
The general eligibility for Dentistry is given below –
- Passing the UKCAT or BMAT tests
- A successful interview
- An excellent personal statement
- Work experience, for example, can demonstrate a genuine interest in the subject.
- It is mandatory to pass GRE along with English language proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL etc.
- SOP, LOR, CV or Resume and Portfolio also need to be submitted for studying in foreign universities.
Have you not started preparing for IELTS/TOEFL/GMAT/GRE yet? Register on Leverage Live today to score well in these exams.
The application process for admission in foreign universities is as follows –
- Shortlist your courses with the help of our AI Course Finder and get advice from experts. The experts will then initiate your application process at Kiel University through our common dashboard platform where you can also check your application process status yourself.
- The next step is to collect and organise all your documents like SOP, essay, certificates and LOR and test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, ACT etc.
- If you have not yet prepared for your IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GMAT, GRE etc exams, which is definitely an important factor in studying abroad, you can join our Leverage Live classes. You will be trained by experts to get a high score.
- After submitting your application and all the required documents, the experts will start the application process for accommodation, student visa and scholarship or student loan.
- Now it’s time to wait for your offer letter, which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. After accepting your offer letter, now is the time to pay your semester fee.
The required documents are listed below-
- Official academic transcript
- Scanned passport copy
- IELTS or TOEFL, required test scores
- Professional or Academic LORs
- Essay (if required)
- Portfolio (if required)
- Updated CV / Resume
- A passport and student visa
- Bank statement
Contact Leverage Edu Experts for help writing an engaging SOP and student visa.
Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
Consistently ranking among the safest countries in the world, studying in Dental schools in Australia is an ideal choice. Considering the distance of their stay from campus and easy access via public transport, international students may want to consider options such as renting a property, purpose-built student accommodation (studio apartments or dormitories), short-term accommodation (hostels, hotels, or temporary housing), university-run facilities, residence halls, and homestay accommodations.
Here is the diversification of the cost of studying in Australia –
|Categories||Details||Charges (AUS Dollars)||Charges (Indian Rupees)|
|Tuition Fees||Vocational TrainingBachelor Level Programs Master Level Courses||4k-22k20k-45k 20k-55k||2 Lakh-10Lakh9.70 Lakh-21.89 Lakh9.72 Lakh-26.70 Lakh|
|Accommodation||Hostels/Guest HouseShared ApartmentsOn-campus||90-15095-220110-300||4k-7k4k-11k5k-14k|
|Other Expenses||Gas, Electricity, Entertainment, Transportation, Internet, etc.||270-540||13k-26k|
Use the Cost of Living Calculator for a more detailed description of living expenses in different countries.
Career Scope for Dental Students in Australia
Dental schools in Australia provide high-quality education, enabling students to seek job opportunities in many different areas.
- Research Labs
- Dental Clinics
- Indian Armed Force
- International Welfare Organisations
- Forensic Department
- Dental Surgeon
- Oral Surgery
Job Profiles For Dentists
- Oral Surgeon
- Dental Hygienist
- Oral Pathologist
- Dental Surgeon
- Dental Scientist
|Job Role||Average Salaries (in AUD and INR)|
|Dentist||6284 (INR 3.4 Lakhs)|
|Dental Hygienist||5386 (INR 2.9 Lakhs)|
|Oral Pathologist||7182 (INR 3.9 Lakhs)|
|Dental Surgeon||12569 (INR 6.8 Lakhs)|
|Dental Scientist||16160 (INR 8.8 Lakhs)|
|Lecturer||8977 (INR 4.9 Lakhs)|
You can also get an education loan according to your course and university to study abroad through Leverage Finance.
To become a Dentist, you must have a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree. Many renowned medical colleges in India offer admission in BDS courses. Students who have secured 50% marks in 12th grade in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English are eligible for admission.
Dentistry is that branch of medical care concerned with the form, function, protection and improvement of the inner part of the mouth and teeth etc. and the interrelationship between these organs and the body.
Yes, in order to pursue a dental course, it is mandatory for students to study Biology as the main subject in class 11 and class 12 with Physics and Chemistry.
This was all about Dental Schools in Australia. We trust that this blog covered every one of the significant details about the university and the course. Still, confused and need to clear your own questions with respect to the top objections to concentrating abroad? Call Leverage Edu uni-mates at 1800-572-000 and book your most memorable directing meeting free of charge!