The University of Southampton is a public research university in Southampton, the United Kingdom established in 1952. The origin of the university dates back to 1862 when the Hartley Institution was founded. It is a founding member of the Russell Group – an organisation of 24 top UK universities. The University is ranked #77 in the world and #12 in the United Kingdom according to the QS World Ranking 2022. This blog courses more about the University of Southampton acceptance rate, eligibility requirements and admission process!
|Year of Establishment||1862|
|Average Tuition Fees||UG: GBP 18,520 – GBP 24,950
PG: GBP 16,150 – GBP 26,850
|Popular Courses||Management, Social Sciences|
|International Student Rate||36%|
|Number of Campuses||7|
|Endowment Value||GBP 12.9 Million|
This Blog Includes:
- About the University of Southampton
- The University of Southampton Acceptance Rate
- Popular Fields of Study
- Intakes and Important Deadlines
- University of Southampton Eligibility Requirements
- Documents Checklist
- University of Southampton Application Process
- Cost of Studying at the University of Southampton
- Cost of Living for International Students
- Accommodation Facilities
- Scholarships Offered by the University of Southampton
- UK Visa Requirements for International Students
About the University of Southampton
Before knowing about the University of Southampton acceptance rate, let’s throw some light on the background of the University of Southampton. The university is a global top 100 university known for its excellent academics, world-leading research and strong educational offering. The university helps students to develop critical thinking and independent learning skills to become confident global citizens and make positive changes in the world. The student satisfaction at the university is among the highest in the country, reflected in the National Student Survey (NSS). The University has over 40 academic schools and departments grouped into five faculties.
There are 7 campuses within the university, 5 of which are in Southampton, and the remaining ones are in Malaysia and Winchester. Art studios, hi-tech labs, libraries, highly professional faculty members, and so many other facilities are available on the campus. The university is ranked 16th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022, 15th in The Complete University Guide 2022, 1st for Physiotherapy with 17 additional subject areas in the top 10 and 17th in The Guardian University Guide 2022, with number one rankings for Civil Engineering and Electrical & Electronic Engineering and a total of seven of our subject areas in the top 10.
The University of Southampton Acceptance Rate
The University of Southampton has an acceptance rate in the range of 77.7% and 84.0%, making it moderately simpler to get into. This relatively means that out of 100 applicants, around 77-84 students seek admissions at the University of Southampton. Admissions to the University of Southampton require students to have at least 75% in Standard XII at the Undergraduate level for Master’s degrees, an overall qualification between 55% – 70%. This makes getting accepted relatively easier as compared to other UK universities. Further, the University has a student population of 22,000 including around 14,400 undergraduates and 7,600 postgraduates. 34% are international students from over 130 countries. This makes the University of Southampton an attractive prospect for higher education for international applicants in the UK.
Popular Fields of Study
The university offers over 500 undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research, foundation year programs across various disciplines and pre-sessional English language courses to its applicants. The popular and internationally recognised courses offered by the University of Southampton include:
- Statistics & Operational Research
- Archaeology, Civil & Structural Engineering
- Earth & Marine Sciences
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering
- Physics & Astronomy
- Psychology and Social Policy & Administration
- Civil Engineering
Intakes and Important Deadlines
The University of Southampton offers programs majorly during the January intake and September intake. There are also additional Intakes in April/May, January and March but only for select courses. The deadline for the January intake is around June-September. The important deadlines for undergraduate courses for the September intake are given below:
|Start of submission of applications through UCAS||7 September 2021|
|Application deadline for Medicine courses||15 October 2021|
|UCAS Application deadline for most courses||26 January 2022|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers they can apply to a new course through UCAS extra)||25 February 2022|
|UCAS Final Deadline (final deadline for application to a September course)||30 June 2022|
Note: For postgraduate courses, there is usually no deadline with an exception of a few. However, you should start your application process as early as possible to secure a UK visa on time.
Check out some of the renowned Universities in the UK with No Application Fees
University of Southampton Eligibility Requirements
Post knowing about the University of Southampton acceptance rate and popular fields of study, let’s now know about the eligibility or the entry-level requirements to study at the University of Southampton:
- Higher Secondary Certificate/Standard 12, achieving at least 75% from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) and Metro State Boards (Delhi, Maharashtra, Chennai, Kolkata and Karnataka)
- High grades in UK A levels
- Between 28 and 38 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Background in subjects specified by the university depending upon the course.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores. The minimum scores are specified according to the course.
- Bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised University or an equivalent professional qualification approved by the University with an overall qualification of at least 60%
- UK 1st degree equivalent: 55 – 70% depending on awarding institution
- UK 2:1 degree equivalent: 55 – 65% depending on awarding institution
- English Language Proficiency Test scores (Minimum scores specified according to the course)
- GMAT/GRE score, if applicable.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
- Good grades in bachelors and masters degrees awarded by a recognised university and a strong research proposal for PhD courses.
English Language Requirements
Undergraduate and postgraduate studies require you to give proof of English language proficiency through tests. For international students, the following are acceptable English Language Tests:
|Tests||Minimum Scores Required|
|IELTS||6.0 – 7.0|
|PTE Academic||51 – 70|
|TOEFL iB||81 – 100|
|Duolingo||6.0 – 7.0|
Note: For Indian students, 70% in English at Class XII from CBSE or ISC may result in exemption from additional English language requirements.
Post knowing about the University of Southampton acceptance rate, let’s know about the documents required for international students to study at the University of Southampton:
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- UK student Visa
- Updated CV/Resume
- Portfolio (if asked or required)
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal (for PG Research)
Here’s a list of all the essential Documents Required for Applying to UK
University of Southampton Application Process
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. Students can apply through portals like UCAS for undergraduate courses and to apply for postgraduate courses, students have to apply for the University of Southampton admission. You can call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to study at the University of Southampton! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process to study at the University of Southampton:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder. The experts will then commence your application process of multiple universities through our common dashboard platform where you can yourself witness the status of your application process.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS etc.
- If you haven’t yet prepared for your IELTS exam, which is surely an important factor of studying abroad, join our Leverage Live classes and get trained by experts to score high.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, UK students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Post accepting your offer letter, it’s now time to pay your semester fees, get your visa approved, CAS-Letter.
Know everything about the UK Visa Application Process, Fee & Requirements
Cost of Studying at the University of Southampton
The tuition fee for undergraduate and postgraduate students for the year 2021-2022 is as follows:
|Course Type||Annual Tuition fee|
|Undergraduate courses||£19,300 – £23,720 (INR 19,49,290 – INR 23,95,708)|
|Postgraduate Courses||£9,865 – £28,000 (INR 9,96,360 – INR 28,27,986)|
|Application fees||£22 – £26 (INR 2,221 – INR 2,625)|
Cost of Living for International Students
Apart from the cost of studying, let’s also explore the cost of living for international students and other expenses while living in Southampton:
|Accommodation in Halls (average)||£540|
|Mobile phone and internet||£27|
|Transport (train and taxi)||£80|
|Takeaways and snacks||£26|
|Coffee and tea||£7|
|Interests and hobbies||£46|
|Holidays and flights||£90|
|Bank charges and fees||£30|
Check out our Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator for a detailed breakdown to manage the expenses as an international student in Southampton, England.
For student accommodation, the University offers 7 options to its students. The rent varies from £119 (INR 12,018.94)- £339 (INR 34,238) per week, depending upon your choice of accommodation and bedroom capacity of the flat. In order to book your accommodation, you would first have to fill an online form through the university’s website. You can start applying from February/March for the September intake.
Scholarships Offered by the University of Southampton
The following scholarships are provided by the University for the year 2022-2023:
|University of Southampton Undergraduate Merit Scholarships||Automatically considered while applying|
|University of SouthamptonPostgraduate Merit Scholarships||Automatically considered while applying|
|Wellcome Master’s Programme Awards in Humanities and Social Science 2022||17 May 2022|
UK Visa Requirements for International Students
International students must start their UK Student visa process before the commencement of their selected course. Students are required to submit the following documents for UK student visa filing:
- CAS request form
- CAS number (issued by the university)
- Acceptance Letter
- Copy of deposit payment confirmation
- Academic transcripts
- Financial support proof
- Consent form parent or guardian
- Scores of English language proficiency
- Proof of relationship with parents (for students below the age of 18)
- TB test results
We hope that our blog has provided you with all of the information you require about the University of Southampton. For total assistance in getting admission to your selected college, contact our Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000 to seek their help and mentorship that will make you land in the UK in 2022!