One of the most daunting parts of studying or even travelling abroad is the uncertainty of getting a Visa to that country. Many-a-times, students get admission to a good college, tourists book their hotel rooms but end up getting a rejection for their visas that puts the efforts to waste. Hence, it is very important to understand the entire process of visa application so you do not end up making a mistake. Different countries have different Visa requirements and processes that you must abide by. In this blog, we will talk about how to apply for Visa in different countries.
What is a Visa?
Simply defined, a Visa is a government-issued travel document. The Visa, which is usually stamped or glued on the bearer’s passport, allows him to enter a foreign country legally. There are several kinds of Visas. For example, there is a Tourist Visa for those who want to visit a nation for leisure or as a tourist, a Student Visa for students who want to travel to a foreign country to study, and so on.
Different Types of Visas
Immigration authorities issue different types of visas to travellers, such as:
- Short and Long Stay Visa
- Student Visa
- Electronic Visa
- Work Visa
- Single and Multiple Entry Visa
- Business Visa
- Tourist Visa
- Residence Visa
Also Read: Types of UK Visa for Indian Students
How to Apply for a Visa?
The application procedure for a visa process varies per nation. When it comes to approving visa applications, each nation has its own set of restrictions. To acquire a visa, an applicant must typically go through the following steps:
- Step 1: Select the type of Visa you are applying for
- Step 2: Check your eligibility to avail of the Visa
- Step 3: Fill out the application form- online or offline
- Step 4: Attach all the required documents
- Step 5: Schedule a Visa appointment and appear for the Visa interview along with the necessary documents at the embassy
How to Apply for Visa Online?
Many countries now accept online visa application forms from people who wish to apply for Visa online to a certain country. When it comes to online visa applications, you must fill out all of the essential information on the visa application form and keep all supporting documents on hand so that you may show them as needed or at the time of your physical visa interview. The online visa application form is available on a country’s official embassy website.
The laws, rules and procedures governing how to apply for Visa applications are constantly changing. As a result, it’s critical that you verify the embassy website of the nation you wish to visit before applying for a visa. The method for applying for a visa inside the same nation may differ depending on which embassy you visit.
Also Read: UK Post Study Work Visa
Documents Required for Visa
Typically, a visa applicant must complete an application form, which is usually available on the website of his or her destination country’s embassy, and submit all needed information. As indicated in your visa application form, you may be needed to provide the following information and visa documents:
- Name of applicant
- Date of birth
- Valid Passport
- Profession (if opting for Work Visa)
- Duration of stay in the specific country
- Contact address in the destination country
- Visa interview appointment confirmation
- A recent photograph measuring “2X2” must be taken against a white background. Both digital and hard copies of the photograph are required.
- Visa application fee receipts/proof of payment of visa application fee
- Proof of a Bonafide Student (if opting for a Student Visa)
- English Language Proficiency scores like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE
- School/College ID card (If student)
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from a parent, ID proof of parents (If minor travelling without parents)
- Pension statement (If retired)
- Travel Itinerary explaining the trip
- Bank statement of last 6 months with sufficient balance; updated and attested
- Sponsorship letter, Sponsor ID proof, Updated bank statement (if sponsored)
- Invitation letter from the host company, Covering letter from an Indian company (For Business visa)
- All academic transcripts
- Supporting Financial Documents such as Fixed Deposits, Share Certificates, Property Investments, any other Investments etc. (Optional)
Checklist Before Applying
Before beginning to apply for a visa, these are the checkpoints that must be kept in mind:
- Understanding the application procedure
- Passport size photographs
- Official documents with the purpose of visit
- Financial status
- Fees for visa
- Interview Preparation
The process of visa application can vary from country to country. However, the basic requirement remains the same such as applicant details and proof of purpose. The applicants are provided with the Visa application reference number for future use.
Check Visa Application Status
After applying for a Visa through the application form, the applicants can check the status of their Visa using their passport number. The steps to be followed are mentioned below.
- Visit the official Visa website of the country of application
- Click on the Visa application status
- Enter the passport number and date of birth
- Submit the details
- The Visa application status opens on a new webpage
How to Book Visa Appointment?
Post gathering and submitting all the essential documents, it’s now time to book your visa interview appointment. The following steps will help you to do the same:
Step 1: Complete your Visa application process and submit it either online or offline.
Step 2: Find the embassy (of your destination country) in your city/state.
Step 3: Pay the non-refundable application fee.
Step 4: Schedule your Visa interview appointment.
Step 5: Attend your Visa interview.
Step 6: Pick up your passport with your Visa.
Note: the above-mentioned process can slightly change depending on the type of Visa you are opting for and for which particular country
Applying for Visa in Different Countries
Now that we have learned about the basic requirements of getting a visa, let’s dig deep into the details of getting a visa for each major country.
Apply for Visa in the USA
There are around 185 different types of USA Visas basically divided into two categories namely immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas. Indians can apply for either type of visa. The process for either application is different. Read more about the US Visa application.
The steps to be followed are:
- Get accepted into university and fill out the I-20 form provided by them. It includes study plan details and information supporting your stay
- Pay SEVIS fee of $350 for the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
- Complete your DS-160 visa application for F-1 Visa
- Schedule visa interviews and prepare the F-1 visa application interview questions with seriousness
Apply for Visa in the UK
The UK offers different kinds of visas based on the purpose of the visit. Indians apply for UK visas, pay the fees, and can book an appointment at the application Centre online. Carrying the required documents is necessary during the visit. The steps to be followed are:
- Confirmation from the university to take admission
- Maintenance funds for fees and stay
- Apply online on UK Visa official website
- Keep the documents ready- photographs and fingerprints
- Pay the application fees
- Book an interview with authorities
Know in detail about the UK Student Visa Rejection Reasons!
Apply for Visa to Australia
- Create and log into your ImmiAccount
- Fill out the visa application form online
- Track your application from your ImmiAccount
- Upload documents, passport details, change email, and address details
- A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) number assigned
- Communicate with the visa center
- Check your visa entitlements
Must Read: Sample SOP for Australian Student Visa
Apply for Visa to Canada
One of the most popular educational destinations for Indian students. One can apply for a Canadian Visa by downloading the application form online and then submitting it to the local Canada Visa Application Centre. The steps to be followed are:
- Determine how you will apply- online or offline.
- Keep documents ready for uploading- acceptance letter, SOP, and financial statements.
- Pay the processing fees.
- Submit your application and supporting documents at the nearest VFS office in offline mode.
- A unique tracking number helps in tracking the progress of the application.
- Schedule an interview and be prepared.
Top Visa Interview Questions
Student Visa without IELTS
Exams like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE probably come first in our minds whenever we think of studying abroad. But what if we tell you that it’s possible for Indian students to study abroad without IELTS? Let’s know more about how can you get a Student Visa without IELTS to study abroad in some of the most popular universities in countries like the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, and more with the help of our blog on Study Abroad Without IELTS.
A statement of purpose or an SOP for a Visa or Student Visa is a properly written and signed declaration that you make to convince the visa officer what you require at the time of visa approval. A Visa Statement of Purpose is used to demonstrate how you are qualified for the student visa of the nation for which you are seeking. Several nations, like the United States, Canada, and Australia, need a Visa SOP with your application. This SOP will be included with your Visa application. As a result, it is a critical document that aids in the approval of your Visa. An SOP for Student Visa includes your experiences and explanations for why you should be qualified to study in a specific country.
Yes, it is possible to submit a visa application without a prior appointment with a valid reason.
The visa application process depends upon the type of visa applied for and many other factors considered by the authorities.
Yes the status of visa application can be checked by visiting the official website
The Visa application fee is not refunded by the authorities after our visa application rejection.
If you are looking forward to taking admission to an international Institute then you must learn how to apply for a Visa. However, the visa process is a tedious yet mandatory task in which you must not take any risks. Our Leverage Edu visa experts are here to help you with the application process. So, connect with us today for a FREE Consultation call or call us 1800572000.