It might be hard to believe but you can secure admission in Masters of Business Administration at Yale University while you are yet to complete your bachelors. Sounds awesome, doesn’t it? Well, here’s all you must know if you are still in college and you dream to get into Yale!
Yale University is the third-oldest university of higher education in the United States of America. Founded in 1701, Yale University focuses on eminent education, superlative research, and promising scholarships to produce enterprising leaders of tomorrow. With Yale Graduate School of Arts an Sciences as its earliest college, Yale Universities constitute of fourteen schools.
The Yale School of Management
Located in New Haven, the Yale School of Management ( also known as Yale SOM) is the business school of Yale University. Yale SOM offers MBA, Executive MBA, Master of Advanced Management (MAM), and Ph.D. degrees. As a Yale SOM student, one becomes a part of the Global Network for Advanced Management- a network of 29 top business schools including HEC Paris, National University of Singapore and Saïd Business School. With its focus on building responsible leaders of tomorrow, Yale School of Management lays the highest degree of emphasis on integrated curriculum focusing on consolidating traditional business lessons with multi-disciplinary topics.
To celebrate Yale University’s tercentennial and the 25th anniversary of Yale School of Management, the Silver Scholars Program was created in 2001.
What exactly is Yale Silver Scholars Program?
- Yale Silver Scholars Program is a three-year-long early admission MBA programme that was initiated in 2001, initially only for Yale Undergraduates and now open to all college seniors all across the globe.
- The program was started with the intention to attract more MBA candidates from different educational backgrounds, creating a holistic environment conducive to sharing varied viewpoints and knowledge.
- It defeats the traditional myth about previous work experience being a prerequisite for successful MBA with job placement statistics equally good as traditional MBA at Yale School of Management.
- The admit rate for Silver Scholar Programme usually remains as low as 5%, making the programme more selective than traditional MBA at Yale.
- The program is offered only to extraordinary college seniors with zest to learn and maturity to handle challenges who aim to achieve exceptional goals.
- It is the only programme to offer an internship in the middle of the program and one of the very few programmes offered by top business schools that offer MBA programmes customised to recent graduates.
How does it work?
The Silver Scholars spend the first year at Yale School of Management indulging themselves in an intense unconventional curriculum to develop the skills and mindset of a propitious manager. While at Yale, the Silver Scholars get to learn from prominent faculty and share the classroom with classmates from varied educational and cultural backgrounds.
The foundation core courses for an MBA at Yale School of Management:
- Managing Groups and Teams
- Modeling Managerial Decisions
- Basics of Accounting
- Introduction to Negotiation
- Probability Modelling and Statistics
- Basics of Economics
- Global Virtual Teams
- Power and Politics
During the second year, the Silver Scholars have to complete a full-time internship which allows the students to practically apply the business knowledge they have gained in their first year of MBA. This extended work experience helps ambitious scholars develop leadership skills amongst other valued skills to shape their promising careers.
Among other organisations, the Silver Scholars have found extended internships at:
- Boston Consulting Group
- Dow Jones
- S. State Department
In the third year, the students of Silver Scholar Programme return to the campus from their internships for the culmination of the MBA program. In this year the scholars select their electives at Yale School of Management and/or at other universities that are a part of Global Network for Advanced Management in the areas that align with career goals.
All Yale School of Management students must complete a Global Studies Requirement which could mean one of the following:
- Taking the International Experience course, through which students spend ten days in an overseas location important to understanding the global economy
- Attending a Global Network Week (a week-long mini-course hosted by one of the member schools in the Global Network for Advanced Management
- Completing an online Global Network Course (virtual courses in which students work with a global team to look at a cross-national business problem), or
- Selecting other approved electives that involve international travel and study.
What Yale looks in a Silver Scholar Programme applicant?
Since the Silver Scholar Programme allows students to start their MBA immediately after their bachelors with no work experience under their belt it calls for the candidates to have other feathers in their hats such as:
- Extracurricular Activities
- Internships and other work experience
- Good GMAT/GRE Score
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Your clarity on why you want to opt for the Yale Silver Scholar Programme
- The story you convey through your resume and interview (if shortlisted)
Other similar deferred MBA programmes in the US:
Harvard 2+2 Programme: A deferred admission process by Harvard Business School for current bachelors or masters students. It comprises of at least two years of professional work experience followed by two years in the HBS MBA Program.
Stanford’s deferred enrolment MBA: Stanford’s deferred enrolment MBA program is a secure way of getting access to the door at a top B-school before gaining noteworthy work experience. To be eligible, you need to be enrolled in an undergraduate program or a graduate program.
Chicago Booth Scholars Program: Chicago Booth Scholars Program allows students to complete the MBA application process while still doing their undergraduate programme and then start the MBA at Chicago Booth after gaining the required two to four years of work experience.
The Rollins Early Advantage MBA: As a top Forbes ranked full-time MBA program in Florida since 1999, The Rollins Early Advantage MBA offers full-time day program for recent college graduates with little or no work experience. Students enrolled in The Rollins Early Advantage MBA get to gain MBA-level internship experience, serve on local nonprofit boards, participate in student-alumni mentor program and select from a wide range of elective courses.
MIT Sloan MBA EarlyAdmission: MIT Sloan MBA EarlyAdmission is designed for aspiring to graduate or graduated students around the globe who want to shape their career from early on and secure a seat in a future MIT Management Sloan School MBA class. To apply for this programme, students must submit their academic transcripts, cover letter, resume, academic transcripts, GMAT/GRE scores and two letters of recommendation. The current MIT seniors are exempted from submitting a GMAT/GRE score.
What you can do today to get in the Yale Silver Scholar Programme?
When you come across an opportunity as unusual as Yale Silver Scholar Programme, you have to approach it with the utmost respect and leverage it in the best way possible. With no work experience requirement, additional emphasis is given to the applicants’ journey throughout their bachelors to see if they are fit for the acclaimed MBA at Yale School of Management. With a very low acceptance rate of Yale Silver Scholar Programme, only the best of the best get selected. This calls for presenting your story professionally and convincingly that shines amongst others. To make your application stand out you can seek the services of Leverage Edu for expert mentorship and professional profile building.
What’s the application process for the Yale Silver Scholar Programme?
When applying for Silver Scholar Programme at Yale School of Management, you are required to fill the same online application as for their full-time MBA program.
Important points to consider while applying for the Yale Silver Scholar Programme:
Only current college seniors are eligible to apply. If your undergraduate degree is a three-year course of study, you are eligible to apply in your final year.
Candidates of Silver Scholars Program must provide two letters of recommendation: one letter from an academic instructor (this should be a faculty member who has taught you in class and graded your performance.) and one letter from an employer (this should be someone for whom you have worked professionally in some capacity during college for internship, part-time job etc)
If you have no work experience (even as an internship or part-time job), then you may secure a letter from an extracurricular activity or volunteer organization (instead of from an employer) in which you have been actively involved
Your entire application package will include:
- Completed application form (same online application as for their full-time MBA program)
- Two certified true copies of your official transcripts of the undergraduate course.
- Photocopy of your degrees attesting to your previous university studies
- Curriculum vitae
- Your official GMAT or GRE score
- Your official TOEFL or IELTS results (if English is not your first language)
- Two letters of recommendation (ideally one from an academic instructor and one from a former employer)
The Yale Silver Scholars application also comprises of one main essay which must be answered creatively and diligently. Yale School of Management gives considerable weightage to this essay while shortlisting candidates for Silver Scholar Program.
Your application makes it to the round 2 of an interview, you will have one half-hour interview with one or more members of the Silver Scholars Committee. This interview will focus on your interests and goals and your academic and extracurricular performance.
With Silver Scholar Programmes opening doors to post-MBA jobs at companies such as Google, Citigroup, Barclays Capital, U.S. Treasury, British Petroleum etc, Yale Silver Scholar Programme is a golden opportunity for college seniors to accelerate their careers. It is an unusual setup that allows one to gain the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical experience within three years, preparing the silver scholars to keep a strong foot in the corporate world and leave a mark wherever they go. Call an expert at Leverage Edu today +91-8826200293and learn how you can build a profile apt for deferred MBA programmes like Yale Silver Scholar Program.