The Engineering sector has transformed every sphere of human life by bringing new innovations and technologically advanced machines and devices. Amongst the long list of Engineering branches, Civil Engineering is a popular one and comprises of varied specialisations. It encompasses Transportation Engineering as a sub-discipline that deals with the operation, maintenance, design and development of transportation systems. The main purpose of this field of engineering is to smoothen the movement of people and goods. In this blog, we will explore more about transportation engineering as a career field, top courses offered, universities and the prospects it entails.
Also Read: Top Civil Engineering Colleges
This Blog Includes:
- What is Transportation Engineering?
- What does Transportation Engineers do?
- Skills Required
- Eligibility Criteria to Study Transportation Engineering
- Courses in Transportation Engineering
- Subjects in Transportation Engineering
- Popular Universities
- Career Scope in Transportation Engineering
- Average Salary
- Transportation Engineering Companies in India
What is Transportation Engineering?
From the construction and development of highways, air transportation, pipeline, waterway, port, aerospace, coastal to the ocean and urban transportation, the Transportation Engineers play a pivotal role. Transportation Engineering is the study of planning, designing, development, construction and maintenance of efficient transportation structures and systems. As a prominent one in the different types of Civil Engineering, It encompasses the designing of airport pavement, toll plaza, traffic signal, highway elements, interchanges, parking facilities etc. It aims to design systems that can ensure the safe and comfortable movement of people and goods.
What does Transportation Engineers do?
Other than planning, designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining the transport system, here are a few basic tasks of a transport engineer.
- Transport Engineers are responsible to supervide on any construction site where they are required.
- When there is anew development plan initiating, the transport engineer is primarily in-charge of determing the traffic impact from this project.
- A transport engineer is responsible for setting real goals and criterias for new projects.
- They are required to proepare work plans for the department that they are working with.
- In case of analytical skills, they are made to draw or plan work flows for their employees and colleagues.
- Transport Engineers are also responsible for researching and evaluating traffic volume, practices, efficiency, and accidents to keep a check on safety measurements.
- After a certian project is done, the transport engineer is responsible for creating reports on traffic and transportation related matters.
- They also gain skills of developing their own models when it comes to transportation scenarios.
- In case od projects, they are responsible for creating accurate budgets and identifying soultions.
To become a transportation engineer, you must possess a certain skill set that will help you in tackling different situations, handling construction projects as well as other related tasks. Here are the major skills required to build a successful career in Transportation Engineering:
- Management Skills
- Mathematical skills
- Technical skills
- Critical Thinking
- Observational Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Leadership Qualities
- Time Management
- Problem-solving skills
Eligibility Criteria to Study Transportation Engineering
The eligibility criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate courses for Transportation Engineering is more or less the same. Here is a detailed list of both.
- The candidate must have completed their 12th standard from a recognised school or board.
- While passing out the student must score an aggreagte of 50%.
- Universities require the student to have a backgrounf in science, mathematics, physics, chemistry or any other rquivaelnt courses.
- In terms of foriegn university, the candidate is also required to submit their enligh proficeincy test scores.
- Entrance examinations are also held in some cases.
- Candidate must have passed their 10+2 from a recognised instituion or board with an aggregate of 50%
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering or any other equivalent courses from a recognised instituiton.
- Must have appeared for the GATE exams in order to meet of the criterias.
- In case of foriegn universitites, they are required to submit their language proficiency scores.
Courses in Transportation Engineering
Now that you know what Transportation Engineering is, take a look at the major bachelor’s, master’s level and doctorate level programmes offered in this field.
Bachelor’s Level Courses
- BEng (Hons) Civil and Transportation Engineering with Foundation Year
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering
- BEng Hons. Future Transport and Engineering
Master’s Level Courses
- Master of Engineering in Civil Engineering – Transport Engineering
- MSc Sustainable Transport Engineering
- Master of Philosophy – Transport Engineering
- Master of Engineering Studies-Transportation Engineering
- MSc/PgDip/PgCert Transport Engineering and Planning
- Master of Science in Highways and Transport Engineering
- Master of Applied Science in Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering
- Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering in Transport Engineering
Doctoral Level Courses
- Doctor of Philosophy- Transport Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering – Transport Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Transport Engineering
Subjects in Transportation Engineering
To understand the answer to what is Transportation Engineering, you must first have a look at the subjects covered in this particular field of study. Given below are some of them:
|Environmental Engineering||Water Resources Engineering||Hydraulic Engineering|
|Urban Engineering||Transportation engineering||Materials Engineering|
|Land development||Structural engineering||Geotechnical Engineering|
|Coastal and Ocean Engineering||Construction Engineering||Fire protection engineering|
|Irrigation Engineering||Bridge Engineering||General E|
There are numerous universities and colleges across the globe that provide a wide array of programmes in this specialised branch of Engineering. Glance through the following list of popular universities offering courses in Transportation Engineering:
- University of Canterbury
- University of Alberta
- The University of Queensland
- Wayne State University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Wisconsin
- Lowa State University
- Oklahoma State University
- The University of New South Wales
- University of Southern California
- The University of California- Davis
- Texas A & M University
- University of Salford
- University of Virginia
- University of Minnesota
- University of Colorado- Denver
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Newcastle University
- George Washington University
- University of Hartford
- University of Memphis
- The University of Auckland
Check out our exclusive list of Best Engineering Colleges in the World!
Career Scope in Transportation Engineering
Completing a degree in Transportation Engineering, graduates can choose from a plethora of job opportunities in the public as well as the private sector. With the increasing demand for efficient transportation systems, the construction and transportation industry is always on the lookout for engineers and architects to design and build effective transportation networks. Here are the major career prospects you can explore in this domain:
- Engineering Manager
- Civil Engineer
- Engineering Inspector and Regulatory Officer
- Civil Engineering Drafter
- Civil Engineering Technologist
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Land Surveyor
- Highway Engineer
- Airport Engineer
- Port Engineer
- Railroad Engineer
Now let us understand some of the major career profiles in detail-
A bridge engineer performs a set of duties which includes pavement of bridges, sample check of material, planning, designing and maintenance of information regarding the bridge architecture samples. They are frequently available at building locales to oversee and screen building progress. However, a minimum bachelor’s degree is needed to become a bridge engineer. Other than this, a strong command over Maths and Physics.
Architectural specialists assess and test building frameworks and development plans. A four-year bachelor’s education is required to work in this field. A few employers require structural specialists to turn into licenced proficient engineers. These engineers should assess proposed electrical frameworks to guarantee security and evaluate window costs. Experts in this field regularly work in an office setting exploring blueprints. They make a trip to a building site to investigate foundation, supportive networks and designs.
Hydrographic engineers use cutting edge innovation to deliver itemized plans of seabeds, harbours and waterways. They measure and guide submerged surfaces and study the development of the seabed, indicating the depth, shape and forms. They have some expertise in the exact dwelling, the information obtaining and preparing in inland or seaward marine conditions.
Traffic Engineering Consultant
Traffic engineering consultant is transportation engineers who specialize in authority in the plan and upkeep of safe streets and highways. They figure out what sorts of highways are needed to make traffic streamlined and afterwards locate the most prudent approaches to construct and look after them. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in transportation engineering or civil engineering is required to become a traffic engineering consultant.
Our Top Read: Scope of Civil Engineering
The average salary of the graduates of this field usually ranges between INR 4,50,000- 9,50,000. It is important to note that the above-mentioned figure is for indicative purposes and your average salary majorly depends on the course you have chosen along with the organization you have applied to.
Transportation Engineering Companies in India
- Frischmann Prabhu India Private Limited
- Design Atelier
- Shahnawaz (Pvt.) Limited
- ADCC Infocad Limited
- RSN Engineering & Construction Pvt. Ltd.
- KD Group of Industries
- Dream jobs Staffing Solution Pvt Ltd
- Ceinsys Tech Limited
- MT Project Limited
- QPS Holdings, LLC
- Bhatia Consultancy Services
Hence, Transportation Engineering is an emerging field of study with a plethora of rewarding and challenging opportunities on offer! Unsure about which course to pursue in this field? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we will assist in selecting a suitable course and institution and we will also guide you throughout the admission process to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted! Sign up for an e-meeting with us today!