Having various branches at each study level, engineering is a vast domain where students can explore and find their niche. Among the many branches like Aeronautical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Marine Engineering; Civil Engineering deals with the topics related to construction, machines, materials, etc. A specialization in this field can either be done with an MSc or an MTech Degree. In this blog, we will help you with the various subjects and requirements for pursuing an MTech in Civil Engineering.
This Blog Includes:
- What is MTech in Civil Engineering?
- MTech Civil Engineering Subjects
- MTech in Civil Engineering Eligibility Criteria
- MTech in Civil Engineering Fees
- Top Universities in the World
- Top UK Universities for MTech in Civil Engineering
- Top Colleges in Canada for MTech in Civil Engineering
- Top Indian Colleges for MTech in Civil Engineering
- MTech in Civil Engineering Career Prospects
- MBA vs. Mtech: Which is a Better Choice?
- MTech in Civil Engineering Admission Process
- MTech in Civil Engineering Scope
What is MTech in Civil Engineering?
Masters of Technology is the highest specialised course In the field of Engineering which is of a total of 2 years duration consisting of four semesters. This course provides you with insight and deep knowledge of the subject you are starting in a BTech course. This course covers a vast range of areas like structures, construction management, building shaping of materials, construction of dams, Highways, etc.
MTech Civil Engineering Subjects
Usually, MTech Civil Engineering is 1 to 2 years long in duration. The first semester focuses on theoretical concepts while the second year requires the students to submit a research project as well as pursue industrial training. These are the subjects covered in MTech Civil Engineering:
|Transportation System Planning||Advanced Structural Analysis||Geotechnical Engineering Practice|
|Analysis and Structural Designof Pavements||Computational Laboratory||Stability Analysis of Slopes, Dams and Embankments|
|Highway and Airport Pavement Materials||Stability of Structures||Dynamics of Soils and Foundations|
|Transportation Engineering Design Practice||Structural Engineering Design Practice||Earthquake Geothermal Engineering|
|Material Technology||Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering||Building Technology and Construction Management|
|Analysis and Design of Shells and Plates||Ground Improvement Techniques||Environmental Engineering|
MTech in Civil Engineering Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue an MTech in Civil Engineering must fulfil the following eligibility requirements.
- To get yourself enrolled in the Mtech program you generally need to go through a national level or state level entrance exam. The most prominent entrance exam is the GATE which provides admission in IIT and its score is also accepted by many reputed engineering institutions in India.
- The candidate should have at least a bachelor’s degree in technology or engineering (B.Tech) or a related field.
- The candidates with scores of 50% to 70% can look for universities for MTech in countries like New Zealand, Ireland, China, the UK, and Australia.
- A mandatory standard test for language is also required like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, which will differ from one country to another.
- In some countries, you will be required to take up competitive exams such as GRE/GMAT to prove your competency. But make sure you take these tests six to nine months prior to the application deadline.
Also Read: MS in Civil Engineering in Canada
MTech in Civil Engineering Fees
Generally, the course fee for this program ranges from INR 50,000 – 200,000 in IITs. But the fee structure depends on numerous factors depending upon the institute ranking, merit-based, a scholarship received and if the candidate is pursuing the scores from a government institute he or she will have to be much lower fees as compared to private institutes.
The fees for an MTech in Civil Engineering varies across different countries and universities. The average fees for pursuing the course in popular study abroad destinations is given below.
|Canada||₹ 8,00,000- ₹ 15,75,000|
Top Universities in the World
With excellent academics and guidance by experts, several universities across the globe provide a degree in MTech in Civil Engineering. The following are the top universities in the world for this course.
Top UK Universities for MTech in Civil Engineering
- University of Cambridge
- University of Glasgow
- University of Bath
- Imperial College of London
- University of Southampton
- University of Bristol
- Swansea University
- University of Leeds
- University of Liverpool
- Cardiff University
Top Colleges in Canada for MTech in Civil Engineering
- The University of Waterloo.
- The University of Toronto.
- McGill University.
- The University of British Columbia.
- The University of Alberta.
- Dalhousie University.
- Concordia University.
- Western University.
Top Indian Colleges for MTech in Civil Engineering
Several colleges in India provide unique educational training for pursuing a promising career in this field. Mentioned below are some of the top colleges in India for MTech in Civil Engineering.
- Lucknow Institute Of Technology, Lucknow
- Indus International University, Una
- Rungta College Of Engineering And Technology, Bhilai
- Medi-Caps University, Indore
- Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- National Institute Of Technology, Surathkal
- Apg Shimla University, Shimla
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Bhubaneswar
- Institute Of Technology, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- All India Shri Shivaji Memorial Society College Of Engineering, Pune
- Vignan University, Guntur
- Saveetha School Of Engineering, Chennai
Also Read: Civil Engineering Interview Questions
MTech in Civil Engineering Career Prospects
Students get a wide variety of career options after pursuing MTech in Civil Engineering. They get options in both private as well as government organisations. During the program, students are trained as valuable professionals with relevant skills for the civil engineering industry. Some of the top professional jobs for MTech Civil Engineering graduates are:
- Project Manager
- Construction Manager
- Plant Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Assistant Professor
- Senior Civil Engineer
- Inventory Manager
- Structural Design Engineer
MBA vs. Mtech: Which is a Better Choice?
|Overview||This program is for students from any field who wish to inculcate managerial and other essential skills.||This program is mainly for students with a bachelor’s in technology background who are keen on learning in detail about the subject.|
|Course Fee||The fee for an MBA is comparatively more than an MTech in or any other equivalent course.||The fee for an MTech degree as compared to MBA is much affordable and gives relatively good ROI.|
|Work Experience||Some universities abroad may ask for work experience of up to 3 years.||This program is designed for freshers and hence doesn’t require work experience.|
|Subjects||MBA gives an overall experience in all the subjects and doesn’t focus particularly on Technology.||An MTech degree requires the students to study more deeply about the subjects they have selected in their undergraduate alongside different branches in the field of Technology.|
MTech in Civil Engineering Admission Process
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
MTech in Civil Engineering Scope
After completing MTech in Civil Engineering, you can earn between INR 45,000- 65,000. It has a wider scope in India and abroad. There are various job opportunities available in both public and private sector. After MTech in civil engineering, you can also go for PhD. Some of the popular job profiles Builder, Civil Engineer in various fields, City Planner, Irrigation Engineer etc.
Here are some of the popular branches Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Construction Management and Geotechnical Engineering.
It depends on university. However, GATE is not compulsory.
You can earn between INR 45,000- 70,000 per month after MTech.
Here are some of the best colleges in India for MTech:
1. Lucknow Institute Of Technology, Lucknow
2. Indus International University, Una
3. Rungta College Of Engineering And Technology, Bhilai
4. Medi-Caps University, Indore
We hope that this blog helped you with the various requirements to pursue MTech in Civil Engineering. Planning to pursue a dynamic career in this field? Reach out to our study abroad experts at Leverage Edu who can help you find the perfect university and also assist you with the application process.