What’s better than visiting new places everyday? A career in Travel and tourism is known to give aspirants the ever wanted comfort, exposure perks and glamour that they always wanted. It is a constantly growing sector with various job requirements. Tour Manager is one among the many job profiles in this sector. They are in charge of ensuring that travel arrangements for groups of vacationers go as smoothly and enjoyable as possible. In this blog, we will provide a complete guide on how to become a Tour Manager!
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a Tour Manager?
- Eligibility Requirements
- Responsibilities of a Tour Manager
- Tour Management Course Curriculum
- Skills Required to Become a Tour Manager
- Popular Courses
- Top Colleges Abroad
- Top Colleges India
- Top Recruiting Companies
- Scope and Salary of a Tour Manager
Do you enjoy travelling, then here’s a blog on you on How to Become an Air Hostess?
Who is a Tour Manager?
Tour managers, sometimes known as tour directors, ensure that travel arrangements go as smoothly as possible and that tourists receive practical assistance throughout their trip. They follow guests during a trip, informing them of facts such as arrival and departure schedules, as well as points of interest. It is necessary to have extensive knowledge of a specific location or region, and you may be asked to act as a tour guide throughout the trip. Communication skills, public speaking and good sense of places are of the most important skills and qualities of an aspiring tour manager.
Is dance is your passion? Then you must read How to Become a Choreographer?
Although there is no specific eligibility criteria for becoming a tour manager, aspiring candidates must know what the generic criteria is. To become a tour manager, an individual must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 from a recognized board with aggregate marks of at least 50%.
- Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in related fields like Aviation Management, Travel & Tourism Management, etc.
- Candidates having IATA certification/diploma in travel and tourism are given preference.
- Candidates with prior experience in work related to the tourism industry are preferred.
- Candidates must possess the required skill set for becoming a tour manager.
Read our top searches How to Become a Fashion Designer?
Responsibilities of a Tour Manager
While becoming a tour manager might be a career of your choice, you must also be aware of the duties and responsibilities associated with this role. As a tour manager, an individual is expected fulfil certain responsibilities such as:
- Welcoming the passengers and keeping them informed about travel arrangements.
- Accompany groups travelling by bus, car, boat, rail, or plane
- Examine tickets and other pertinent papers, seat assignments, and any special requirements.
- Helping passengers with passport and immigration related work
- Assist vacationers with check-in and settling into their accommodations
- Provide a variety of facts on itineraries, places, and culture
- Inform passengers of arrival and departure times at each stop on the schedule, and make sure that all members of the group are back on the coach before departing from each stop.
- Ensuring al travel arrangements have been smoothly laid
- Handle situations, such as assisting a sick vacationer or people who need to call family ones immediately
- Make contact with places to stay or visit ahead of time to confirm specifics and plans
- Liaise with hotels, bus companies, restaurants, and other clients to provide information on facilities such as sights, restaurants, and stores at each destination.
Tour Management Course Curriculum
For those who wish to pursue a career as tour manager while pursuing a course in the same field of study, we have mentioned the breakdown of the tourism management course below:
- Tourism Industry Overview
- International Tourism
- Heritage & Environment
- Tour Planning & Costing
- Geography in Travel Planning
- Micro management of travel operations
- Indian Tourism
- Guiding The Tourist
- Communication & Customer service skills
- Passport & Visa Documentation
- Culture & Cuisine of the world
- Marketing strategies & Organizational skills
- Travel Formalities
- Tour Management
- Techniques of Tour Planning
- Tourism Promotion
- Project Work
- Case Study
Here’s everything you need to know about Career as a Fashion Blogger
Skills Required to Become a Tour Manager
For those who wish to become a tour manager, they must possess the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work handle stress
- Time management skills
- Knowledge of foreign languages
- Organisational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving skills
- Customer friendliness
- Working under pressure
For becoming a tour manager, students preferably should hold a degree in the following few courses:
Diploma and Certificate Courses
- Diploma in Tour Management
- Certificate Course in Tour Management
- Certificate Course in Travel & Hospitality
- Certificate Course in Travel & Tourism
- PG Diploma in Travel and Tourism
- Diploma in Cruise Line Operations and Management
- Diploma in Airfares & Ticketing
- Diploma in Computer Reservation System
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism with Amadeus
- Bachelor in Hospitality
- Bachelors in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Tourism Administration
- BA (H) Hotel Management, Travel and Tourism
- BCom Tourism and Travel Management
- BBA in Aviation Management
- BBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- Masters in Hotel Management
- MBA in Aviation Operations
- MBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- Masters in Hospitality
- Executive MBA in Tourism, Hospitality and Aviation Programme
- Master of Tourism Administration
- MBA Tourism and Travel
- MBA Tourism and Leisure
- MBA International Business with specialisation in Tourism
- MBA Tourism and Cargo Management
- MA in Travel and Tourism
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Tourism
- PhD in Travel and Tourism
Top Colleges Abroad
For becoming a tour manager, students can apply for the following colleges abroad:
- Surrey University, UK
- Griffith University, Australia
- Bournemouth University, England
- Hotelschool The Hague, Netherlands
- Oxford Brookes University, UK
- Leeds Beckett University, UK
- Sun Yat-sen University, China
- Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- University of Waikato, UK
- Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Top Colleges India
Listed below are the top colleges where students can apply to pursue tour management (travel & hospitality) in India.
- Chandigarh University
- IHM Delhi
- Amity Institute of Travel & Tourism, Delhi
- New Delhi YMCA
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
- Graphic Era University, Mussoorie
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
Dreamt of becoming a Pilot during childhood? Well, make your dream come true by knowing How to Become a Pilot After 12th?
Top Recruiting Companies
Let’s now have a look at some of the best travel and tourism companies that are among the top recruiters of tour managers:
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd
- Cox & Kings Ltd
- Kesai Tours
- Flying Fox
- SOTC India
- Kuoni Travel
- Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation
Scope and Salary of a Tour Manager
Tour managers’ starting salary in full-time work generally varies from INR 15,000 to INR 30,000 per month. Tour managers with experience may expect to earn between INR 35,000 and INR 50,000 per month. Salaries at the senior level or with significant experience might exceed INR 50,000 per month. However, remuneration is often determined per day, with rates and expenditures changing between firms. Salaries differ greatly based on the business, the location/country visited, and the sort of trip. Salary may be supplemented by commission and gratuities; the amount will vary according to the clients and the tour. Salary levels are affected by industry circumstances.
This was all about how to become a tour manager. Hope this blog has helped you with the necessary details for making a successful career in this field. If you require assistance in choosing the right university, our Leverage Edu experts can guide you through the process. Sign up for a free session right away!