The Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL is conducted by Educational Testing Services (ETS) to check the English proficiency of students who wish to study abroad. However, before starting with the TOEFL exam preparation, you must consider checking the eligibility criteria set by ETC for taking the test. So, before proceeding with the TOEFL registration process, here is an insightful blog that covers the TOEFL eligibility criteria in full length!
This Blog Includes:
Here are some key details pertaining to the TOEFL exam which you need to take into consideration before looking at the TOEFL eligibility criteria:
|Conducting Body||Educational Testing Service (ETS)|
|Mode of Examination||Internet & Paper-based|
|Basic Sections||Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing|
|Score Range||0-30 in all sections|
|Validity of TOEFL||2 years|
- TOEFL is one of the most popular English proficiency tests in the world. It is accepted by 11,000 universities in 150 countries around the world.
- It assesses a candidate’s English proficiency across 4 academic English skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- There are different types of TOEFL tests: TOEFL (iBT and PBT) and Essentials. TOEFL iBT is a computer-based test that students can take in person while TOEFL Essentials is a home-edition test launched during the COVID-pandemic for students and professionals who wish to study and work abroad.
- The TOEFL test is valid for 2 years.
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria 2021-22
It is important to know that the prerequisites for both, TOEFL Internet-based as well as TOEFL paper-based exam is common. Let’s get into the essential details pertaining to TOEFL eligibility criteria.
The basic eligibility criteria for TOEFL is to have a 10+2 level of qualification from a recognized Indian Board or University. However, some universities accept applications from candidates who are non-native speakers of English and have:
- Pursued diplomas or degrees from recognised institutions in English speaking countries like Australia, United States, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, etc.
- Completed two years of course study in English mode.
- Taken a TOEFL examination within the last two years.
- Pursued academic work at schools, provided the English language was the main mode of instruction.
Moreover, those candidates who have been transferred from the institutions in the United States or Canada having a well-evaluated academic course work in relation to the demand and duration are also exempted.
In terms of TOEFL eligibility criteria, ETS- the conducting body of TOEFL has not specified any age limit required to appear for the test. There are no restrictions based on age or qualifications.
Check out the entire TOEFL Syllabus!
Number of Re-Attempts
There is no limit on the number of attempts when it comes to giving the TOEFL exam. Students and working professionals can re-appear for the exam as many times as they wish to do so.
How to Register for TOEFL?
The TOEFL exam is conducted 60 times in the case of iBT and PBT whereas 24 hours in the case of Essentials type in a year in 150 countries. The exam dates are allotted on a first-come-first-served basis. Candidates can freely choose the type of test, test date, and center. The registration fee for the TOEFL (iBT/PBT) exam is $190 (INR 14,086).
For Indian applicants, a valid passport is an essential ID requirement needed at the time for TOEFL Registration.
There are three modes for TOEFL registration are as follows:
- Register Online: This is the most common and easy way of registration. Online facilities for registration are open 24*7. Seats need to be booked at least 7 days before the date of the exam.
- Register on Call: Prospective applicants can also register through the phone. The TOEFL Registration number for Indian test-takers is 91-124-4147700.
- Register through Mail: For those who can’t register through the above methods may choose to register through mail as well. For this, you must download the form from the official TOEFL website, fill it with correct details and send your form at least 4 weeks prior to your intended test date. You can check your nearest TOEFL center on the official website and mail the form to the same address. A confirmation is processed after a successful registration.
The TOEFL registration fee for India is somewhere around$190 (INR 14,086). The TOEFL results and scores will be sent manually to the institutions as per your preference, however, if you want to send it to more academic institutions, you have to pay additional charges for every report. Registration Fees vary by country. Tabulated below are the details related to the TOEFL registration.
|Late Registration Fees||50 USD (INR 3,706)|
|Rescheduling Fees||60 USD (INR 4,448)|
|Fee for Reinstatement of Cancelled TOEFL Internet-based Score||20 USD (INR 1,482)|
|Fee for Additional Score Reports as per Institution or Agency||20 USD/each (INR 1,482)|
|TOEFL Internet-Based Test Speaking or Writing Section Rescore Fee||80 USD (INR 5,930)|
|TOEFL IBT Speaking and Writing section Rescore Fee||160 USD (INR 11,861)|
Modes of Payment
|Online||Credit card payment through ( American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA)|
|Withdrawal of Electronic Cheques||U.S. based banks|
|Cheque Payable||ETS-TOEFL IBT|
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria : FAQ’s
As already mentioned, there is no restriction in terms of age if you are applying for the TOEFL examination.
Indian students can take any English proficiency test in order to complete their applications to English speaking countries. TOEFL is not the only English test which is available, candidates can also give IETLS.
For two years, the TOEFL score is valid from the date of the exam. Which means most of the universities do accept the scores that are 2 years old.
There are two types of TOEFL exams for candidates who wish to study, work and immigrate to a different country. TOEFL iBT & PBT and TOEFL Essentail. The former is a computer-based and paper-based test that students can give in -person while the latter is
Yes, you can. There is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you cannot take it more than once in a 3-day period.
Yes, if you cancel your registration before the 4-day advance deadline, you will receive a refund of half the original test fee you paid. Refunds are in U.S. dollars. Cash refunds are not available.
The TOEFL registration fee for India is somewhere around$190 (INR 14,086).
Hope you are clear with the TOEFL eligibility criteria and all their related components. Is there anything that is still unclear about the TOEFL exam? Reach out to the experts at Leverage Edu for further assistance and comprehensive guidance. Sign up for your free 30 minutes of e-counseling with the team now!