TOEFL or Test of English as a Foreign Language is one of the most popular exams to assess a candidate’s command over the English language. As a part of their admission criteria, a majority of universities across the world demand scores of the TOEFL exam, which is conducted by ETS. However, to crack one of the highly coveted English proficiency tests, it is essential to formulate a plan and timely begin the preparation. For all the applicants willing to appear for TOEFL, here is a comprehensive guide on how to crack TOEFL in 3 months!
This Blog Includes:
TOEFL Exam Pattern
The first step in “How to crack TOEFL in 3 months” should be a critical analysis of the TOEFL exam pattern. Once you know which section needs more time, you can easily devote time accordingly. Tabulated below are the main highlights of the TOEFL exam pattern.
|Sections||Types of Questions||Number of Questions||Duration||Score|
|Reading||Reading Comprehension||30-40 Questions||54-72 minutes||0-30|
|Writing||Essay Writing; Writing in response to an argument||2 Questions||50 minutes||0-30|
|Speaking||Speaking in response to an audio clip||4 Tasks||17 minutes||0-30|
|Listening||Lectures, classroom discussion in the form of audio||30-35 Questions||41-57 minutes||0-30|
Please Note: Educational Testing Service (ETS) has ultimately planned to discontinue the TOEFL Paper Based Test.
Section-wise Study Plan to Crack TOEFL in 3 Months
To score well in the TOEFL exam, one must be thorough with the TOEFL syllabus. Read the section-wise syllabus, identity your weak areas, and bifurcate the topics in two categories- the ones which are completely new to you and the ones you already know. After this assessment, devise a plan and proceed accordingly. Given below are section-wise strategies on how to crack TOEFL in 3 months.
There will be 2 questions in this section, an essay, and integrated writing. To score well in both questions you must showcase your writing potential.
- Begin by practising the rules of grammar. For at least 2 weeks, practice a variety of Grammar-based questions daily and pay focus on sentence structure.
- Go through some of the TOEFL sample essays in order to comprehend the structure.
- Conversational tone should be strictly avoided. You must practice writing in a formal tone.
- By the 3rd week, start solving beginner-level writing questions.
- On the commencement of the 2nd month of your preparation, switch to advanced level writing questions, and thoroughly practice them for the entire month.
- In the third month, practice 2 questions daily and start solving a TOEFL sample test.
- What are your observations on the effects of widespread use of the internet?
- Movies and television tend to create certain notions for a perfect lifestyle/human being. How would you elucidate that?
- Do you agree or disagree with the idea that young people can teach older people?
Also Read: TOEFL Preparation Tips
In this section, questions will be framed on 3-4 comprehension passages which candidates have to complete in 54-72 minutes. Here is a weekly plan on how to crack TOEFL in 3 months with a special focus on the Reading section.
- The most important step is to read the newspaper thoroughly every day.
- For the initial 2 weeks, go through comprehension passages in the mock tests and get a hold of their structure.
- 3rd week onwards, practice a few samples daily. This will help in enhancing your speed and accuracy.
- From 2nd month onwards, practice full-fledged paper daily within a set time limit.
- Towards the end, when only 1-2 weeks are left, go through blogs and articles on common topics.
The response in the speaking test will be recorded through microphones. 2-3 questions on familiar topics will be put forward and the candidates will have to solve them in a duration of 20 minutes. If you also want to know how to crack TOEFL in 3 months, in particular, this section, then here is a plan which you can follow.
- From the very first day, take out at least 20 minutes daily and read aloud a passage from any newspaper, book or magazine, etc
- Focus on your pronunciation.
- Towards the end of the 1st month, start watching debates and bulletins on English news channels to familiarize yourself with the common TOEFL speaking topics. Try to grasp their style, tone, and enunciation.
- With the start of the 9th week, practice different TOEFL sample speaking questions in front of a mirror and continue this process until your test day.
- Make sure that you only use a formal tone and include appropriate examples wherever required.
- What kind of behaviour would you be inclined to? A carefree, adventurous one or do you believe in avoiding taking risks and sticking to the plan.
- What do you consider to be the best place to spend time with your friends and family? Is it in the comfort of your home or the adventures of the outside world?
- How do you make career related choices? What are the three most appealing career paths you have come across till now?
- Where would be your next travel
Majorly, 3-4 recordings will be played in this section. Applicants will be allowed to take precise notes from recording and will be given approximately 60 minutes to answer all the questions. Mentioned below are some of the tips on how to crack TOEFL in 3 months.
- To get a hold of the accent and enunciation, play them twice for the first 2 weeks.
- From the 3rd week onwards, begin practicing at least 2 audio recordings daily.
- Play the audio for once only between 5th to 8th week.
- In Week 9, daily practice two mock audio recordings without any pause and evaluate your answers. Practice this step for the entire third month.
TOEFL General Tips
Here are a few general tips to ace your TOEFL Exam.
- Know the TOEFL Format thoroughly and be clear with your topics.
- Make sure your have a personalized schedule with a dedicated amount of time everyday for effective learning and practise.
- Use the best resourses like Leverage Live and the best study material to help you score better.
- Read everyday and improve your vocabulary.
- Watch movies or listen to podcasts to improve your english proficiency.
Hopefully, this preparation strategy for how to crack TOEFL in 3 months will help you attain the desired score. Unsure about which universities will accept or offer courses based on your TOEFL scores? Reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will collate a list of suitable academic institutions and the courses which you can pursue in your TOEFL score range!