Latvia is part of the border control-free Schengen Area. This means that its visa requirements are similar to those of other Schengen countries like France and Germany. One of the biggest perks of a Schengen visa is that it allows you to travel across Europe. Applicants can travel to Latvia for a number of short-term visas for business visits, cultural visits, tourism visits, or long-term visas required in the case of studying and working. Here’s everything you need to know about the Latvia study visa!
This Blog Includes:
- Study in Latvia: Student Visas
- Study in Latvia Without IELTS
- Latvia Study Visa Requirements for Indian Students
- Latvia Student Visa Processing Time
- How to Apply for a Study Visa for Latvia?
- Latvia Study Visa Cost and Fees
- Latvia Student Visa Rejection Reasons
- How Much Does it Cost to Study in Latvia?
Study in Latvia: Student Visas
To study in Latvia, you require a Latvia Long Term D Visa (valid for 90 days). The Immigration Law of Latvia states that students from third-world countries can apply for a Long Stay Visa with the diplomatic and consular representatives at the Embassy of Latvia. Upon entering Latvia, students are required to apply for a residence permit at the OCMA. The Latvia student visa is valid for the entire duration of your studies.
Study in Latvia Without IELTS
You can study in Latvia without an IELTS score and apply for the Latvia study visa for Indians under the following conditions:
- You are a native speaker of an English-speaking country;
- Your previous degree of education is from an English Medium University/College;
- The students are required to provide an official Declaration or Certificate as evidence that their previous education was in English;
- Applicants who do not have an internationally recognised test score will be requested to opt for English courses at Latvia University itself.
Some universities conduct online tests and interviews via Skype for their selected applicants. These interviews and tests evaluate students’ English language abilities and cover all aspects such as speaking, reading, and general comprehension of the language.
You can also provide any other official language certification and give other English proficiency tests such as:
- TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- FCE (First Certificate in English)
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English)
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage (BEC Vantage)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Cambridge English Linguaskill
Some universities that allow admission without submitting IELTS scores are:
- Daugavpils University
- University of Latvia
- Riga Technical University
- Riga Stradins University
- University of Liepaja
- Ventspils University College
Latvia Study Visa Requirements for Indian Students
The following is Latvia study visa requirements for Indian students:
- A filled Long Stay Visa Application Form of the Republic of Latvia.
- One passport-size photo (size 35mm x 45 mm), taken during visa submission
- A Valid Passport
- Copies of the identification and information pages of previously issued visas (if any)
- OCMA approved the invitation.
- Study Agreement
- Written certification issued by the higher education institution or college
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- Proof of Accommodation
- Proof of Sponsorship
- Proof of Previous Education
- Ticket Reservation
- Travel Medical Insurance of minimum coverage of 42,600 EUR.
- Visa fee of 60 EUR ( (Masters and PhD students exempted)
- Hello Verify the confirmation slip
Latvia Student Visa Processing Time
According to the Immigration Law of Latvia, the visa processing time is 15 days after the submission of all the supporting documents for Indian nationals. Due to COVID-19, there are expected delays in issuing visas and applicants may be considered on the basis of type of visa and travel purpose. The documents are considered to be submitted when received at the Embassy from VFS Global. If additional information or inspection is necessary, the decision takes place within 60 days.
How to Apply for a Study Visa for Latvia?
- Applicant can schedule their appointment after uploading the requested documents to the Hello Verify webpage. They will receive a confirmation once all documents are successfully uploaded. Applicants who are unable to book an appointment online need to contact the VFS Global India Call Center (+91-22-67866025) to schedule an appointment
- Applicants have to submit the visa application at the assigned VFS Global Latvia visa application centre in India.
- All student applicants need to appear for the interview at the VFS Global Latvia Visa application centre with the Embassy of Latvia in India. The date and time slot of the interview will be allocated by the VFS Global Latvia Visa application centres when submitting the visa application. This interview can be either through video call or in person.
Latvia Study Visa Cost and Fees
Following are the study visa costs for Latvia:
|VIS Cases||INR 2,249|
|Non-VIS Cases||INR 2,336|
|Video Conferencing Fee||INR 3,028|
|Visa Fee||INR 5,185|
|Courier Fee||INR 551|
Latvia Student Visa Rejection Reasons
Here are a few main reasons why Latvian student visas can be rejected.
- Insufficient information
- Unsuccessful attempts at prior levels of education
- Fake Documents and Information
- Country of origin
- Insufficient Funds
How Much Does it Cost to Study in Latvia?
Most study programmes at public institutions in Latvia cost between 1,550 and 6,000 EUR (INR 1.24 lacs and 4.81 lacs) each academic year, which is much less expensive than tuition at other well-liked study locations. Business courses like Executive MBAs are the greatest tuition costs, which may cost up to EUR 25,600 (INR 20.5 lacs) per year. Medical degrees can cost up to 15,000 EUR(INR 12. lacs).
The required aggregate percentage of 65% with no subject fails.
Yes, you are able to work in Latvia while you are a student, although there are certain limits based on your academic level. For example, a full-time bachelor’s student at a Latvian institution can work up to 20 part-time or 40 full-time hours per week during breaks with any business.
After five years of residing in the nation, you are eligible to apply for a long-term resident of the European Union status. As a consequence, you may relocate to another EU nation, such as Germany or the Netherlands, where you can live, study, and work. You can apply for Latvian citizenship after a total of 10 years.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.