For the longest time, sociology has been addressed as a study of society, going simply by its name. We aren’t here to negate that. Rather, we are here to expand on the subject; helping you to navigate through the course and its set opportunities. This study of developments, organisations, and institutions of society, including its origins, is presented with a focus on race, culture, social class, creed, and more, ever since 1904 in the UK. In this blog, we will discuss sociology in the UK
This Blog Includes:
- Importance of Sociology
- Why Study Sociology in UK
- Course Overview of Sociology in UK
- Popular Sociology Courses in UK
- Top Universities for Sociology in UK
- Eligibility Criteria of Sociology in UK
- Cost of Studying
- Career Prospects
- What Employers like About Sociology in UK
Importance of Sociology
The need of understanding human society and bringing the required change to it per the socio-economic circumstances in the country is ever-increasing. Keeping that in mind, the sociology department seems to be expanding, in sectors such as education, government, etc.
Sociologists in the form of educators and life coaches have a way of adding the remains of human potential to their use, benefiting society as a whole. Their policies and teachings help introspect the relevance and history of many unrepresented communities, creating an inclusive space for everyone.
Why Study Sociology in UK
There are a number of reasons why one can choose to study sociology in the UK.
Let’s discuss a few of them below.
- Interactive Insights: Through the study of sociology in the UK, the student is able to learn with interactive measures about common human experiences and issues. This makes the learning process faster but easier; more effective.
- World-Class Teaching: The curriculum set for sociology in the UK is of high standards. In fact, the UK is home to two of the best universities for sociology: the London School of Economics and Political Science and the University of Cambridge.
- Variety of courses: The student who chooses to study sociology in the UK is about to find a variety of courses in the subject. The country offers around 1,700 courses to choose from.
- Flexible Modules: UK universities provide a flexible course structure that is tailored to the student’s needs. It even allows students to specialise in the areas that interest them the most; all while designing their own studies.
Course Overview of Sociology in UK
Here is an example of what a course overview of sociology in the UK looks like:
- Nature and society
- Sexuality and social control
- Individual and society
- Applied ethics
- Social Theory
- Global Social Problems
- Religion and Society
- Sociology of Development
- Area-based Studies
Popular Sociology Courses in UK
Some of the popular sociology courses in the UK, categorised into undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses are as follows:
|Undergraduate Courses||Bachelor of Science in Sociology (Honours)At Brunel University London
BA (Hons) Politics and Sociology At University of Leicester
|Postgraduate Courses||MSc Sociology and Global ChangeAt University of Edinburgh
MA SociologyAt University of Manchester
MSc SociologyAt University of Glasgow
|Diploma Courses||Public Health and Community Studies HNCAt Coventry University|
|PhD Courses||PhD in Advanced quantitative methods At University of Glasgow|
Top Universities for Sociology in UK
If you are into sociology, and want to pursue it as a career, wondering where exactly to pursue it from is common. Fortunately, there are a number of universities and course options available around the world that help you navigate your way through sociology.
Presenting the following top universities to study sociology from in the UK:
|Universities||Some Courses Offered|
|University of Oxford||MSc in SociologyMPhil in Sociology and DemographyDPhil in Sociology|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)||BSc SociologyMSc SociologyMSc City Design and Social ScienceMSc International Migration and Public PolicyMPhil/PhD Sociology|
|University of Cambridge||MPhil in SociologyPhD in Sociology|
|University of Warwick||BA SociologyBA Sociology and CriminologyBA (Hons) Politics and SociologyMA SociologyMA Social and Political ThoughtPhD Sociology|
|University of Edinburgh||MSc in Social AnthropologyMSc in Social Research PhD in Sociology|
|University of Staffordshire|
|University of Bath|
|University of Staffordshire|
|University of Strathclyde|
Eligibility Criteria of Sociology in UK
It’s important to note some of the major prerequisites for enrolling in the sociology program. These are divided into undergraduate and graduate studies. Read below to know better:
For Undergraduate Study
- Minimum percentage (as specified by the university) at 10 + 2 level.
- Qualifying English Language Proficiency Score, for example, minimum 6.5 Band in IELTS.
- Typical A-levels requirements: ABB.
- SAT scores, as specified by the university.
For Postgraduate Study
- Minimum percentage (as specified by the university) at the undergraduate level.
- Qualifying English Proficiency Score, for example, minimum 6.5 Band in IELTS.
- UK entry requirements: For International students, typical baccalaureate requirements are 32 points.
- Graduation transcripts
- Post-graduation transcript if completed
- Evidence of citizenship (Passport)
- Name and contact details of two professional references.
- CV/ Resume (updated)
- Letter of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Statement of Purpose
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kick-start their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process to study Sociology in UK:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favorite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform.
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates, and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- Meet all the application deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates, and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university.
Cost of Studying
The cost of sociology in the UK is distinguished for in-state and out-of-state students:
|For in-state students:||For out-of-state students|
|£9,800 ( INR 8.2 lakhs)||£18,000 (INR 16.3 lakhs)|
The following are some of the job opportunities you may receive once you complete a degree in sociology in the U.K:
- Community Development Worker
These workers become a link between local communities and local authorities, providing the people with resources and conversations they are otherwise unable to be a part of. The job is important, since identifying the needs, opportunities, rights, and responsibilities of the public and the authorities isn’t an easy task.
- Human Resources Officer
A workplace needs the right workforce. Human resources officers’ job is to make sure that the type of workforce employed in any organisation is of utmost quality, and efficient to the core.
- Youth worker
Your job as a youth worker revolves around organising and managing community programs aimed at youth development and support. Working in a variety of settings, you’ll help the younger community assess their strengths and weaknesses, and understand their identity from an early age.
- Social researcher
A social researcher contributes to the change visible in society, as the work involves studying and examining, and making policies on topics such as housing, nutrition, disability, poverty, unemployment, work, and income.
Here are what the salaries of various job profiles in sociology look like:
|Sociologist||GBP 44K (INR 41 lakhs)|
|Criminalist||GBP 43K (INR 40 lakhs)|
|Researcher Social Medical||GBP 51K (INR 47.6 lakhs)|
|Clinical Sociologist||GBP 38K (INR 35.5 lakhs)|
|Ethnographer||GBP 35K (INR 32.6 lakhs)|
|Behavioural Scientist||GBP 56K (INR 52 lakhs)|
What Employers like About Sociology in UK
Skills in sociology graduates such as the ability to work in a team, communication, problem-solving, management, team coordination, and project creation are what attracts employers.
Furthermore, sectors such as social care, and hospitals see a rise in demanding employees with a sociology background. Sociology is certainly a well-sought degree in the UK.
Some of the best countries to study sociology are the USA, the UK, Canada and New Zealand.
Yes, you can study sociology in the UK as it offers some of the best universities in the world.
Some of the best universities in UK are University of Oxford, The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), University of Cambridge, University of Warwick, and University of Edinburgh.
This was all about Sociology in the UK. If you want to get into a high-ranked university in the UK, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need a flawless application. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.