The excellent educational system, advanced teaching methodology, high-quality research prospects, and diverse exposure are added benefits of a UK degree that many students aspire to have. Multiple exposures and lucrative job opportunities make a degree from top universities in the UK stand out from others. Hence, British Universities such as De Montfort University are one of the few sought-after institutions globally. Many international students aspire to enrol in this public research university located in Leicester, United Kingdom for a bright professional career with a plethora of opportunities. This blog explores the admission process, eligibility requirements and cost of studying at De Montfort University.
This Blog Includes:
- What is De Montfort university known for?
- De Montfort University Admissions Process
- Intakes at De Montfort University
- De Montfort University Admissions Deadlines
- De Montfort University Admissions Requirements
- English Language requirements for De Montfort University
- Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students at De Montfort University
- Documents required while applying to De Montfort University
- Cost of Studying at De Montfort University
- Accommodation at De Montfort University
- Scholarships offered at the time of De Montfort University Admissions
- Student Visa for UK
What is De Montfort university known for?
Established in 1992, De Montfort University is ranked among the top 1000 universities in the world. DMU is known for its excellent teaching quality, academics and world-class facilities. The University has invested a substantial amount in campus development to provide a modern, inspiring environment for its students. The University offers 280+ undergraduate and postgraduate graduate courses through its Faculty of Arts, Design and Humanities, Business and Law, Health and Life Sciences, and Computing, Engineering and Media. Every year, more than 2,700 international students from around 130 countries enrol at De Montfort. On account of its outstanding academic excellence, the university has received a ‘Gold’ category in Teaching Excellence Framework, which has been endorsed by the UK Government to measure the teaching quality in UK higher education.
Also Read: Cheapest Universities in UK 2022
De Montfort University Admissions Process
Although the application process in DMU can be comparatively different depending on the course and the nationality of the candidate, the basic procedure is almost the same. Here’s a step-by-step admission process for DMU:
- Choosing a Course – The first step is to choose your course. The University offers a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate courses, research study programs, degree preparation courses and English language programmes. You can visit the University’s official website and simply find a course that suits you.
- Applying for the Course – The next step is to apply for the chosen course. Start the application process for full-time undergraduate courses by logging into UCAS with the “Apply Now“ button to access the application and create an account. Applications can also be made through the university’s official website simply by filling the international application form.
- Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams – GMAT, GRE, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
- Gather other Documents – LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
- Submit your Application – Once you are qualified, collect all the documents and fulfil your language requirements and then you are ready to begin with the application form. To secure your admission at De Montfort University make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
- Receiving your offer – After processing your application the University communicates the response through a letter.The response would be either of the following: Conditional Offer – This means that the admission would be confirmed if and when the students meet a certain admission requirement, such as the completion of the undergraduate degree with a specific grade and submit outstanding documents. Until you meet the entry criteria, your place is reserved. Unconditional Offer – This indicates the student’s acceptance to a particular course. Alternative course – This means that you don’t qualify for the course you applied for but you are eligible for another course. You can choose to pursue that course if you are interested. Rejection Letter – This indicates that the student has not been accepted to the University.
- Accepting your Offer – You have to formally accept the offer by following the instructions provided in the letter. In case of a conditional offer, you would have to meet all conditional requirements and provide additional documents, if required. Your offer would be withdrawn if you don’t accept it.
- Receiving your CAS Number – The University will issue you a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) after you accept your offer and make a deposit to confirm your place as per your offer letter . CAS number is required for visa application
- Applying for a Visa – The next step would be to apply for your UK student visa. You can apply for a visa upto 3 months before the course date.
- Booking your Accommodation – International students who accept their offer and apply for the accommodation by the given deadline can book their accommodation.
Also Read: Best Engineering Universities in UK
Intakes at De Montfort University
De Montfort University offers programs majorly during the January intake and September intake. There are also additional Intakes in April/May, January and March but only for select courses.
De Montfort University Admissions Deadlines
The important deadlines for the September intake are given below:
|UCAS Application deadline||26 January|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers they can apply to a new course through UCAS extra)||25 February|
|UCAS Final Deadline (final deadline for application to a September course)||30 June|
Students can also apply directly through the university’s website.
De Montfort University Admissions Requirements
Requirements may vary from course to course. These are the standard requirements:
For UG courses
- 10+2 or equivalent
- Background in subjects specified by the university depending upon the course.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores. The minimum scores are specified by according to the course
For PG courses
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified by the university.
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA specified by the university
- English Language Proficiency Test scores (Minimum scores specified according to the course)
- GMAT/GRE score, if applicable.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
Also Read: MSc Management in the UK
English Language requirements for De Montfort University
Undergraduate and postgraduate studies require you to give proof of English language proficiency through tests like IELTS For international students. The University also offers a DMU Academic Test of English (DATE) to test you on the four main areas of the English language: reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. The English language requirements for each course may be different, so check before applying.
Also Read: Why Study in UK and not India?
Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students at De Montfort University
For UG Course
- Minimum of 65% average in your four best subjects (excluding Hindi) in Standard 12. University may also check standard 10 results in English and Maths.
- Entry to year 2 or 3 may be possible. You will need to supply detailed information including courses taken, grades achieved, syllabus and a grading guide.
- English Language Requirements-
- IELTS 6.0 for Art and Design, Business, Computing and Engineering courses
- IELTS 6.5 for Law courses
- IELTS 6.0-6.5 for Humanities and Media courses
- IELTS 6.5-7.5 for Science courses
For PG courses
- A bachelor’s degree with 50%-60%, depending on the university you have studied at and the course you are applying for.
- Some courses have additional entry criteria such as a portfolio, work experience or require you to have a degree in a related field.
- English Language Requirements-
- IELTS 6.0 for Business and Computing courses
- IELTS 6.0-6.5 for Art, Design and Engineering courses
- IELTS 6.5 for Humanities, Media, Law and Science courses
Note that these are general scores for entry requirements. Do check specific requirements before applying.
Also Read: UK Post Study Work Visa
Documents required while applying to De Montfort University
Documents required will depend on your course. Following are the standard documents required:
- Completely filled application form
- a personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you are suitable for the course
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of english language test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 1 reference for UG Study and 2 references for PG study
- Copy of Passport
All academic transcripts should officially be translated into English.
Cost of Studying at De Montfort University
The tuition fee for undergraduate and postgraduate students for the year 2021-2022 are as follows:
|Level of Study||Course Type||Annual Tuition fee|
|Undergraduate courses||Art, Design and Humanities||£14,750 (INR 14,87,256)|
|Business and Law||£14,750 (INR 14,87,256)|
|Media||£14,750 (INR 14,87,256) – £15,250 (INR 15,64,896)|
|Engineering||£15,250 (INR 15,64,896)|
|Computing||£15,250 (INR 15,64,896)|
|Health and Life Sciences||£14,750 (INR 14,87,256) – £16,336 (INR 16,47,174)|
|Postgraduate Courses||£12,000 (INR 12,09,971) – £17,000 (INR 17,14,125)|
Accommodation at De Montfort University
For accommodation, De Montfort University offers two different options to its international applicants. The Bede Hall and New Wharf Halls are DMU managed halls of residence. The rent varies from £99 (INR 9982) to £185.61(INR 18,715) per week, depending upon your choice of accommodation and bedroom capacity of the flat. There are also 7 other privately-owned halls near the university for international students to choose from.
Scholarships offered at the time of De Montfort University Admissions
The following scholarships are provided by the University for the year 2022-2023:
|DMU International Scholarship||no closing date for applications; once numbers have been exhausted, no more discounts will be allocated.|
|Sustainability Scholarship||31 December 2021|
|Early Payment Discounts (January Intake)||31 December 2021|
|Postgraduate Alumni Scholarship||Automatically considered|
|DMU Sport Scholarship||Applications open on 16 January 2022|
Student Visa for UK
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4].You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
Also Read: UK Post Study Work Visa
- After you’ve completed your masters, you would be allowed to stay in London if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of £20800 (INR 20,97,283)
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 35,29,082)
Planning to apply to De Montfort for your further studies? We can get you the best study abroad assistance by our experts at Leverage Edu. If you are facing issues while applying, get in touch with us at 1800 57 2000 and we will assist you through the complete application process to get entry into your dream university with ease.