Are you thinking of becoming a teacher in the UK? Do you want to know the current demand for teachers? The UNESCO Institute for Statistics estimates that by 2030 there will be an increase in demand for 69 million new teachers to achieve the global education goals. The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is one of the most important ways to become a teacher in the UK. Most PGCEs are available in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland and provide you with a Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and authorize you to teach in countries worldwide. The blog on PGCE in UK is here to help you acquire the status of a teacher with its types, eligibility, application process and more!
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)?
- Types of PGCE in the UK
- PGCE: Admission Requirements
- Application Process for PGCE in UK
- List of Fundings Available for PGCE in UK
|Availability||England, Wales, Northern Ireland|
|Fees (Bursary)||7,000 euros – 24,000 Euros (INR 6.06 lakhs – 20.7 lakhs)|
|Scholarships||26,000 Euros (INR 22.5 lakhs)|
What is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)?
A PGCE is a degree designed to help graduates become teachers. PGCE in UK provides you with a wealth of teaching experience and basic knowledge of key educational theories through school placements. There are PGCEs for different subjects and all levels of the school system. Below are the qualifications that suit the learners you want to teach:
- Lower Primary Education (Age 3-7)
- Primary Education (Age 5-11)
- Secondary Education (Age 11-16)
- Post 16 and Further Education
Also Read: Masters in Public Policy in UK
Types of PGCE in the UK
PGCE UK is a professional qualification, usually taught in universities or other higher education institutions. There are two types of PGCE qualifications:
University-Led Teacher Training Course
These courses are based at a university and provide practical teaching experience. Aspirants are expected to spend a minimum of 24 weeks on placement. In addition, they will receive a Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a postgraduate qualification. They will also learn about the theory of teaching, known as pedagogy.
School-Led Teacher Training Course
At the same time, school-led teacher training courses offered by school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) providers are different in many ways, and PGCEs are not always offered (although many do). Aspirants are expected to gain a QTS for teaching in England and Wales. Also, they will also get first-hand experience working with colleagues from day one of the PGCE UK course.
Check out How to Pursue MPhil in UK?
PGCE: Admission Requirements
PGCE UK gives all the necessary skills and experience you need to kickstart your first teaching job. The basic criteria for pursuing PGCE UK admission requirements are divided into two parts i.e educational qualifications and professional qualifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Minimum 2:1)
- Two A-levels in non-vocational subjects (Minimum Grade C)
- GSCE Grade C/Grade 4 in Mathematics and English
- Three non-vocational subjects (Minimum Grade C)
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores; IELTS (6.5 overall), TOEFL (90 overall), Pearson PTE (62 overall), Cambridge CAE grade A or Cambridge CPE grade C.
- Candidates must be aware of the validity of the English test scores
Applicants with a 2:2 bachelor’s degree can be considered if they can prove a higher academic degree or have at least four years of professional or voluntary work before or after their first degree.
Application Process for PGCE in UK
Application for admission to PGCE courses is handled by the UCAS. UCAS is a postgraduate teacher training program in England and Wales. Below is the application process for PGCE in UK. The UCAS has two criteria for the application process and i.e Apply 1 and Apply 2. In Apply 1, programs open at different times throughout the application cycle and in apply 2, you can still search for programs and apply later if you need to.
- In Apply 1, candidates must select the kinds of training programs they want to pursue. They can select from any subject, route or age group in any combination.
- After submitting the application, sign in to continue or track your UCAS teacher training application.
- Prepare for the interview and know what training providers are looking for and what they might ask.
- Once candidates have made decisions from all of their choices, you have ten working days to reply.
- In Apply 2, it is another opportunity to submit the application if the first attempt is failed. You can also continue to add new choices, one at a time.
- Applications for the year 2021 have already begun and the application fee costs only 1 euro to apply.
List of Fundings Available for PGCE in UK
The funding method of PGCE UK is slightly different from other postgraduate programs. Candidates cannot use the master’s loan for PGCE, but they can be benefitted from various bursaries and scholarships designed for postgraduate teacher education.
|Chemistry, Computer, Maths, Physics||24,000 euros (INR 20.7 lakhs)||26,000 euros (INR 22.5 lakhs)|
|Classics, Languages||10,000 euros (INR 8.6 lakhs)||N/A|
|Biology||7,000 euros (INR 6.06 lakhs)||N/A|
Eligibility for PGCE Bursaries
The eligibility criteria for PGCE Bursaries are set by Student Finance England. The government of the UK provides tax-free bursaries to students looking to teach different subjects. Candidates must be UK nationals and are enrolled on a fee-based PGCE UK. Bursaries are paid in 10 equal monthly instalments opened from October to July. Bursaries are available in subjects such as Chemistry, Computer, Maths, Physics, Classics, Languages, Biology.
PGCE UK Scholarships
PGCE scholarships are offered to talented students in a teacher training program in a specific subject area registered in the appropriate degree program in England. Candidates must be UK nationals and are enrolled on a fee-based PGCE UK. The academic requirement for a scholarship is a 2:1 bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject area. Scholarships are available in subjects such as Chemistry, Computer, Maths, Physics.
We hope you find this blog on Postgraduate Certificate in Education in the UK insightful. Reach out to our career experts at Leverage Edu and give us a call at 1800 57 2000 to make your application stand out!