Nuclear Engineering programs, also known as the subject of the future world was discovered in the 20th-century during World War- II, when experts realized that such an enormous explosive power of nuclear energy can be used in weapons, medicines, equipment and machines. It was discovered through Nuclear fission which was founded by German chemists- Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann. Over the years this technology has evolved multifold and now you can even pursue a full-fledged degree in the field. Let’s explore the various aspects of the Nuclear Engineering course with this blog!
This Blog Includes:
What is Nuclear Engineering?
Nuclear Engineering course is a commercially booming industry that is applicable in submarines, ships, and spacecraft, and to produce electricity in power plants. It is the subatomic science that involves the detailed study of the atomic nuclei. It further breaks down to nuclear physics that explores features like atoms, protons, and neutrons. It focuses meticulously on the components of medical imaging, nuclear fission reactors, ultrasensitive contraband detectors, and fusion reactors. Since the first nuclear reactor was built- Chicago Pile No. 1 (CP-1), many engineers, physicists, mathematicians and scientists have contributed to this extremely important and complex field of nuclear Engineering. Nuclear research is another major aspect where people can find ways to make reactors more safe and sustainable. Some researchers are involved in basic fusion research and aim to make it available for the production of electricity and other commercial uses.
Do you know? Nuclear Energy is used in almost every country in the world and is also used in Mars Rovers. Rovers are motor vehicles that travel across the surface of the planet and examine more territory which also possesses robotic knowledge and control.
Skills Required to Become a Nuclear Engineer
A person who has an aptitude in understanding, operating and designing nuclear Equipment and wants to pursue research in the nuclear system, reactors and sounds can choose to work in this field. The basic skills include:
- Introspect and identify design elements
- Grasp details in the operation of facilities
- Logical Thinking abilities
- Innovative ideas
- Expertise in advanced math (calculus and trigonometry)
- Reasoning and Problems- solving abilities.
Also Read: List of Best Universities in Asia
Nuclear Engineering degree has its relevance in many fields. The following are the list of subjects that are covered in the field of Nuclear Engineering:
- Quantum Mechanics
- Nuclear Reactors
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Nuclear War Weapons
- Nuclear Fusion
- Medical Applications
- Nuclear Safety
- Thermodynamics Transport
- Nuclear Fuel
- Nuclear Waste
- Nuclear Proliferation
- Radioactivity Materials And Our Environment.
The principles of Nuclear Engineering degree are all related but a person can use one component and build expertise in it. The following are the undergraduate and postgraduate courses for nuclear engineering.
- BSc in Nuclear and Risk Engineering
- Specialty Nuclear Reactors and Materials
- BSc in Nuclear Engineering
|MSc in Nuclear Engineering – Advanced Nuclear Waste Management||MSc in Nuclear Engineering|
|MSc in Radioecology||MSc Nuclear Power Engineering|
|MSc in Science of Nuclear Fusion||Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering|
|MSc in Nuclear Fusion and Engineering Physics||Master in Nuclear Chemistry|
Eligibility and Requirements
To enroll in a Nuclear Engineering Degree, it is important to checklist the mentioned requirements for ease of admission process:
- For bachelor’s degree programs in Nuclear Engineering, the minimum basic requirement is 10+2 with chemistry, physics, algebra, trigonometry, and calculus as the core subjects. Indian universities also require students to qualify for any of the undergraduate Engineering entrance exams such as JEE Mains, COMEDK, etc.
- For a master’s degree program, you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in any of the related branches of Engineering and you will also have to submit GATE scores for admission into universities in India.
- Valid scores in GMAT, GRE, or MAT, SAT or ACT are required for universities abroad.
- Universities abroad also require a valid score and proof of language proficiency tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- Apart from these, you will also have to submit a Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendation.
Popular Universities for Nuclear Engineering
To pursue your career in Nuclear Engineering, it is important to approach the correct institute which helps you practice and enhance your skills in this field. This subject weighs emphasis on practical knowledge and application rather than theoretical concepts. Listed below are the best Universities across the world that provide you with rigorous training in the Nuclear Engineering field.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
- University of California Berkeley
- United States Naval Academy
- Purdue University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- University of Florida
Nuclear Engineering Jobs & Salary[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
The nuclear world has such a broad range that allows graduates to enrol in a wide variety of careers. This Creative discipline offers Jobs in various industries and organizations like:
- Working At Power Plants
- Engineering Firms
- Department Of Energy
- Department of Defense
- Department of Nuclear Shipbuilding
- Health And Safety Specialists,
- Process Engineer
- Quality Engineer
- Reactor Operator
- Aircraft Designs
- Medical Physics
The salary package depends on the type of profession you choose. However, According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (May 2016), Nuclear Engineers earn an average salary of about $105,950-$150,000/ year (roughly 78,16,938 – 11,054,995 INR) which varies depending on performance, industry and geographical location.
Hope this blog helped you discover the aspects and details of this creatively complex field. Nuclear Engineering programs is an essential field and offers promising opportunities across the public and private sectors. If you wish to get a degree in Engineering and need assistance then Leverage Edu experts are just a click away from helping you find a suitable course and university as per your requirements and career aspirations. Register for a free session with us today!