Under the list of MHRD scholarships, the National Means Cum Merit Scholarship or NMMS is a Central government-sponsored scheme that financially assists the students of class 9th to 12th belonging to economically weaker sections so that they don’t drop out of higher secondary school. However, to avail of the benefits of this scheme, one needs to clear the NMMS exam. So, in this blog, we will walk you through all the essential details pertaining to the exam.
|Exam Name||National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Examination|
|Date||January 21, 2020|
|Offered To||IX to XII class [Economically Weaker Sections]|
|Scholarship Amount||12,000 INR (annually)|
|Maximum Period||4 years|
This Blog Includes:
- NMMS Scholarship Amount
- NMMS Important Dates
- Benefits And Features Of NMMS Scholarship
- Eligibility Criteria of NMMS Scholarship
- Eligibility Criteria for Renewal of NMMS Scholarship
- NMMS Examination Pattern
- NMMS Exam Syllabus
- Books for NMMS Exam
- NMMS Registration
- NMMS Scholarship Documents Required
- NMMS Admit Card
- Details Mentioned on your Admit Card
- NMMS Cut Off
- Terms and Conditions Related to NMMS Scholarship
- NMMS Results 2021
- NMMS Official Website
- Selection Criteria
NMMS Scholarship Amount
NMMS gives a total of 1,00,000 scholarships to students every year. These scholarships pay INR 12,000 per annum i.e. INR 1,000 per month. Thi scholarship is paid for by the State Bank of India. It is directly transferred to the student’s account through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS). Each state is allocated a different number of scholarships depending on the number of students in classes 7 and 8 and the population of that state. This Scholarship is renewed every year till the student completes their class 12th.
NMMS Important Dates
|Application Form||31st October 2020|
|Last Date for Application Form||31st December 2020|
|Defective Application Verification Last Date||15th January 2021|
|Last Date to Verify Institute||15th January 2021|
|Release of Admit Card||14th January 2021|
|Date of Entrance Exam||21st January 2021|
|Date of Declaration of Result||January to March 2021|
Benefits And Features Of NMMS Scholarship
- The department of school education and literacy under the ministry of human resource Development have launched NMMS scholarship
- The full form of NMMS scholarship is national means cum merit scholarship scheme
- Through this scholarship financial incentives are awarded to a meritorious student who belongs to the economically weaker section of society
- The main objective of launching this scholarship is to reduce the dropout rate at class 8
- With the help of this scholarship scheme, students will encourage to pursue their education at the secondary stage
- Under the NMMS scholarship scheme, Rs 12000 financial assistance will provide from class 9th to class 12th
- This scholarship will provide only to those students who are studying in state government-aided and local body schools
- Only those students whose annual family income is Rs 150000 or less can apply for this scholarship scheme
- This scholarship scheme has launched in May 2008
- Every year around 1 lakh scholarships are disbursed
- The state government conducts examination and on the basis of this examination they award scholarship amounts to the student
- The scholarship is directly disbursed into the bank account of the beneficiary through the PFMS method by the State Bank of India
Eligibility Criteria of NMMS Scholarship
Here are the important details pertaining to the eligibility criteria of the NMMS exam.
- The candidate’s family income should not exceed 1.5 Lakh annually.
- The applicant should clear the 8th class examination with at least 55% of aggregate marks.
- The applicant should be enrolled in the 9th class under regular mode and should be pursuing regular education from government-affiliated, state government, or local body institutions.
- In order to continue the scholarship in higher classes, candidates are required to obtain at least 60% aggregate marks in class 10th. 5% relaxation is given to SC/ST candidates.
- Those who secure 55% aggregate marks in the class 9th and 11th examination and are promoted in one go are eligible to continue with the scholarship in 10th and 12th class respectively.
- Candidates pursuing education is KVS and NVS are not eligible to apply for the NMMS exam.
Eligibility Criteria for Renewal of NMMS Scholarship
- To continue the NMMS Scholarship in Class 10th and 12th, students must have scored at least 55% aggregate marks in the previous standards (50% for SC/ST students).
- NMMS Scholarship 2020 – 2021 will be continued in Class 11th, if students secures a minimum of 60% in Class 10th (50% for SC/ST students).
NMMS Examination Pattern
NMMS exam has 2 parts to it namely, Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Since both the tests assess the candidates on different parameters, let us take a look at the NMMS exam pattern in detail.
|Exam Name||Number of Questions||Total Duration||Assessment Areas|
|Mental Ability Test||90||90 Mins||Non-verbal and Verbal cognitive skills|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test||90||90 Mins||Science, Social Studies and Mathematics of class 7th and 8th|
NMMS Exam Syllabus
Now that you are familiar with the structure of the examination, let’s understand the NMMS exam syllabus in detail.
- Mental Ability Test
The Mental Ability Test of the NMMS exam evaluates the critical thinking and reasoning ability of the candidates through topics like Analogy and Classification, Numerical Series, Hidden Figures, Pattern Perception, etc. This section of the exam has 90 multiple-choice questions.
- Scholarship Aptitude Test
As discussed, there are 90 multiple-choice questions in the SAT which are framed from Social Science, Science, Mathematics subjects. You can prepare for the aforementioned subjects by referring to the topics mentioned in class 7 and class 8 Science, class 7 and 8 SST, and class 7 and 8 Maths.
Books for NMMS Exam
Here is a quick list of books that you will need-
- State Level National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Exam – Class VIII (Buy Here)
- NMMS National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Examination (Buy Here)
- Upkar State NMMS Class 8 (Hindi) Book
- NMMS Exam Guide for (8th) Class VIII Paperback – 1 January 2021
Before you fill the application form, you should scan and keep all the documents in order. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the National Means Cum Merit Scholarship:
- Visit the official website and create an account.
- Fill in the requisite details like educational qualifications, Aadhaar number, bank details, etc and.
- Upload the scanned documents. Verify before submitting it.
- Once you have filled in all the relevant credentials, an automated NSP number will be generated. It is used as a login ID for future reference.
NMMS Scholarship Documents Required
- Age proof of student
- Educational documents
- Aadhar Card/ Bonafide Student Certificate from School.
- Permanent Residence Proof
- Scholarship Catagory
- Name of Student
- Mobile Number
- Email ID
- Bacnk Account Details
- Identification Details
NMMS Admit Card
NMMS Admit Card is crucial when applying for the scholarship test. You need to take it with you to the examination centre as proof of identity. NMMS Admit Card is available on state-wise websites where you can easily download them following the below-mentioned procedure:
- Visit the NMMS website of your state.
- On the homepage, you will see a section on NMMS Admit Card 2021
- Click on that link, following which you will reach a portal to fill your Application Number and Name or Username and Password.
- Click on Submit after you have filled the details. Download the admit card from the next portal.
Details Mentioned on your Admit Card
There will be certain details mentioned in your admit card that you need to thoroughly check for correctness. The details will be as follows:
- Scheme code
- State code
- Centre code
- Examination Centre
- Serial number
- Postal address
- Name of their schools
- Father’s name
- Date and time of the exam
- Pin code
- Candidate’s name
NMMS Cut Off
NMMS has a uniform cut off in every state. In order to qualify for scholarship, you need to have a minimum cut off in both the exams. The cut off is mentioned below:
|Open Merit Candidates||40%|
Terms and Conditions Related to NMMS Scholarship
For all the candidates who are eager to apply for the NMMS scholarship, there are certain details and requisites that one must be familiar with. Listed below are some of it-
- Students must have obtained at least 55% in the Class 8 examination.
- There is 5% relaxation in the class 8 marks for SC and ST students.
- The family annual income should be less than or equal to 1,50,000 for the applicants.
- Students who wish to continue the NMMS scholarship for Class 11 and 12 must have secured at least 60% in the Class 10th board examination.
- For renewal of scholarship, students must have secured 55% marks in the previous academic year’s annual exam. Relaxation of 5% marks will be given for SC/ST students.
- In order to get the scholarship even after Class 10, students must get admission within 3 months from the result declaration date.
NMMS Results 2021
NMMS results are announced on different dates in different states. Students can check NMMS Results on the official website of the respective state. Students in the NMMS are selected as per their merits.
|NMMS Result 2021||Date|
|NMMS Chandigarh Result 2021||Result HERE
Students Selected by NMMS Chandigarh.
|NMMS Madhya Pradesh Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS HP Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Meghalaya Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Karnataka Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Haryana Result||March 2021|
|NMMS AP Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS West Bengal Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Karnataka Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Gujarat Result 2021||March 2021|
|NMMS Maharashtra Result 2021||April 2021|
|NMMS Chhattisgarh Result 2021||May 2021|
|NMMS JK Result 2021||May 2021|
|NMMS Telangana Result 2021||May 2021|
|NMMS Odisha Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS Bihar Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS UP Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS Daman and Diu Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS Delhi Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS Punjab Result 2021||June 2021|
|NMMS Goa Result 2021||June 2021|
|Other States||To be Announced|
NMMS Official Website
Here are the official websites of all the NMMS Exams:
|NMMS Madhya Pradesh||mponline.gov.in|
|NMMS Andhra Pradesh||main.bseap.org|
|NMMS Jammu and Kashmir||Schedujammu.nic.in
|NMMS West Bengal||scholarships.wbsed.gov.in|
|NMMS Daman and Diu||daman.nic.in|
The NMMS scholarship is a national level grants scheme that is regulated by the central government but the state/ UT level authority overlooks the selection process of the applicants. There are certain parameters that are put under consideration while examining the applicants. Below is a table depicting them-
|Mental Ability Test (MAT)||This test examines the reasoning abilities and critical thinking of students through 90 multiple-choice questions.
Most of the questions may be based on topics like analogy, classification, numerical series, pattern perception, hidden figures, etc.
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||SAT consists of 90 multiple-choice questions.
The syllabus of SAT covers the subjects of science, social studies and mathematics as per the syllabus of classes 7 and 8.
In order to qualify for the scholarship, a candidate needs to clear both, SAT and MAT with a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate for both tests.
To check the score you obtained in the NMMS exam, you need to log in to the NSP portal with the credentials provided during registration.
Students of NVS, KVS, Sainik Schools and private schools are not eligible for the NMMS Scholarship 2021.
A total of 10,000 applicants are being selected every year for the NMMS scholarships.
No, there is no negative marking.
While the NMMS exam is a gateway to continue education beyond the 8th class for those who are financially weak, there are scores of scholarships for Indian students who want to pursue higher education abroad after school. Not sure which one you can opt for? Or are you confused about the application process for scholarships abroad? Then reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will help you find the most suitable scholarship/financial aid, which aligns with your educational qualifications, and in the country where you want to pursue higher education!