As part of the Government of India’s initiative of ‘education for all’, families especially in rural areas are constantly encouraged to send their daughters to schools. The importance of education of the girl child is an integral element of the overarching goal of women empowerment. Designed and run by University Grants Education (UGC), the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship is focused on providing financial support for higher studies to single girl child in their families and awards funds for postgraduate courses. Let’s explore more about this scholarship which is formed with the mission of promoting girl education and women empowerment in India.
Objectives of Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship
Recognising the lack of competitive literacy in girls (which lags at 65.4% with 80% literacy rate for boys), UGC introduced this scheme to generate awareness regarding girl education in India. The objectives of this scheme are twofold:
- Supporting the single girl child in a family with financial funds to pursue a postgraduate course
- Recognize the imperative value of a small family structure.
Last Date of Application
The last date of application for 2019 is 31st October 2019. The application portal generally opens in July.
To apply for the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship, there are several criteria which a candidate needs to fulfil. Here are the key eligibility requirements of the scholarships:
- Only female students who are the only girl child in their family are eligible to apply.
- Age of the applicant must not be more than 30 years during the first year of their post-graduate course.
- There are no specific criteria for annual family income.
- Only those girl students who are enrolled in regular/full-time masters degree courses will be considered for application. Distance-mode programmes are not considered.
- At the time of application, they must be enrolled in the first year of a postgraduate course at chosen universities.
- Indian universities/colleges under the section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC act along with specific deemed to-be universities, universities/institutions/colleges funded by central/state government and institutes of national importance are included under the scholarship
- Girl students who don’t have any brother or twin/fraternal daughters are also eligible to apply. Further, if a family has one son and one daughter, the girl child is not eligible for the scholarship.
- Siksha Abhiyan Scholarship
- HDFC Scholarship
- NEC Scholarship
- Ratan Tata Scholarship for Engineering Students
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship: Award Details
As part of the scholarship benefits, selected students will receive INR 36,200 per annum for two years or full duration of the master’s course. This grant is not payable for any other academic charges like hostel fees, medical fees etc. Payments will be disbursed to the beneficiary’s bank account.
How to Apply for the Scholarship?
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship is a constituent of the central scholarship schemes. You can apply for the scholarship by visiting the National e-Scholarship Portal of Government of India from the tentative deadlines of July to October. Below we have explained the step-by-step application process of this scholarship:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Visit and register at the National Scholarship Portal as a new account.
- Fill relevant details such as information regarding family, education, domicile state, scholarship category, etc.
- Provide bank details, i.e. account holder’s name, bank name, IFSC code, account number.
- Submit the application form after filling out all the details.
- The chosen college/university/institution is required to verify the candidate’s application before moving further to the selection process.
Certain documents are mandatory to be uploaded during the application process of Indira Gandhi Single Child Scholarship. Some of the important ones include:
- Scanned Copy of Aadhaar card
- Passport Size photograph
- Self-attested Copy of Previous Academic Marksheets
- Fee Receipt
- Affidavit affirming single child status as per format is given in Annexure-II.
- Joining report as per the prescribed format in Annexure-I.
For more details, read the official announcement here.
Financial circumstances can play a critical part in deciding the affordability of educational opportunities for every student. That’s where scholarships can support you in studying further without worrying about financial issues. If you feel the need for guidance in selecting the right scholarship to fund your career aspirations, get in touch with our expert counsellors at Leverage Edu and we’ll help you make the right decision.