Japan, a country known for its multicultural environment and high-end technology, is one of the top study destinations for a majority of international students, owing to the fantastic Japanese education system, world-class infrastructure, affordable and quality education, and enormous job opportunities provided to the students. One such motivator for the students to study in Japan is the availability of scores of scholarships across disciplines. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of the Government of Japan, in collaboration with the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), the Government of India offers Indian students an array of scholarships for pursuing undergraduate, graduate and doctorate courses across various Universities in Japan. Through this blog, we will provide you with an insight into salient features of the famous MEXT Scholarship 2022, which is also known as Monbukagakusho!
This Blog Includes:
- Types of MEXT Scholarships
- MEXT Scholarship: Fields of Study
- MEXT Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship?
- Grant Amount
- Application Timeline
- Documents Required
|Level of Study||Undergraduate / Masters / PhD / Training|
|Courses Offered||All sorts of studies are available at all Japanese universities, ranging from social science to engineering, medicine to health, arts and humanities, and so on. There are no restrictions on academic fields.|
|Program Period||Undergraduate: 4-5 Years, Masters: 2-3 Years, PhD: 3-4 Years|
Types of MEXT Scholarships
The MEXT scholarship program broadly covers 7 areas, at different levels of study. To understand it in detail, listed below are the types of this scholarship program that the applicants can choose from:
- Research Students: The students who are at their graduate level can apply for the MEXT scholarship. It includes courses in Research, Master’s and PhD levels.
- Undergraduate Students: The students who have completed their higher secondary school and are currently at the undergraduate level and leading to a bachelor’s degree.
- College of Technology Studies: This type of MEXT Scholarship is open to undergraduate students who are leading towards an associate degree (diploma).
- Specialized Training College Students: The students at the undergraduate level who want to pursue a certificate course can opt for this type of MEXT Scholarship.
- Japanese Studies Students: Same as specialized training college students, the students leading to certificate courses are included in this program.
- Young Leaders’ Program Students: This is for those students who want to pursue postgraduation degree courses across disciplines.
- Teacher Training Students: Another type of MEXT Scholarship, it is open to the undergraduate level students who are leading to certificate courses.
Must Read: NSERC Scholarships
MEXT Scholarship: Fields of Study
In the table given below, we have provided you with some of the most prominent areas of studies that are covered under different types of MEXT Scholarship 2022:
|Types of MEXT Scholarship||Areas of Study|
Chemistry, Biology, and Biotechnology
|Undergraduate Students||Social Sciences and Humanities
|College of Technology Students||Mechanical Engineering
|Specialized Training College Students||Technology
|Japanese Studies Students||Japanese Language And Culture|
|Young Leaders’ Program Student||Public Administration
|Teacher Training Students||Education|
MEXT Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the MEXT Scholarship, the applicants need to satisfy certain prerequisites. Given below are the level-wise eligibility criteria:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- For pursuing a master’s or research degree, the candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and should have secured a minimum of 65% marks.
- For admission to a PhD degree program, the applicant must have a master’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 65% score.
- For research students or master’s degree in the Japanese Language, the candidate should have passed a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the Japanese language from a recognized university OR should hold a bachelor’s degree in any subject and obtained an N2 certificate of Japanese language proficiency test.
- To apply for MEXT Scholarship for a PhD degree in the Japanese language, the students must have completed their master’s degree in the language itself.
Undergraduate, College of Technology, and Specialized Training College Students
For applying to the MEXT Scholarship for the undergraduate students, College of Technology Studies, and Specialized training College students, the applicants must have completed education equivalent to high school, that is, 10+2 level of secondary education.
Japanese Government Scholarships
- For Japanese Studies Students, the candidates who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program in universities are eligible to apply.
- For Young Leaders Program Students, the candidate must be a government official or a university graduate with 3-4 years of prior work experience.
- Those who want to apply for the Teachers Training Students MEXT Scholarship should have worked as a teacher in primary/secondary school for at least five years.
Also Read: Here is a list of GRE Scholarships!
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship?
To apply for the MEXT scholarship 2022, please follow the steps outlined below:
- From this page, you may locate the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.
- Visit the webpage of your country’s Japanese embassy. The MEXT scholarship may be found on the Education / Scholarship page.
- Fill out the MEXT scholarship application form after downloading it.
- Submit the necessary documents (see list below) to the Japanese Embassy in your country.
- The Japanese Embassy will administer a written examination. Here is a sample written test with answers.
- Following that, the applicants will be interviewed.
- Successful candidates will be notified through email via the embassy website.
As discussed, MEXT offers scholarships at various levels of education, the value of each being different. It is important to note that all the grants cover both the tuition fee and round trip airfare. Tabulated below are the grants which are disbursed under the respective type of MEXT Scholarship:
|Research Students||144,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 89,000)|
|Undergraduate Students||117,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 73,000)|
|College of Technology Studies||117,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 73,000)|
|Specialized Training College Students||117,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 73,000)|
|Japanese Studies Students||117,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 73,000)|
|Young Leaders Program Students||242,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 1,42,000)|
|Teacher Training Students||143,000 Yen per month (approximately INR 80,000)|
Here is the application timeline along with important dates to apply for the MEXT scholarship in 2022:
|Submit Application to Embassy||June to September 2022||Visit the Japanese Embassy Website of your country to get the specific deadline for different positions.|
|Primary Screening||July to October 2022||Review of submitted documents, language proficiency, tests, and interview.|
|Apply to Universities for Letter of Acceptance||October to 20th November 2022||After the primary screening, apply to the universities before the 20th of November|
|Submit Letters of Acceptance and Place Preference Form to the Embassy||January 2022||Visit the website of the Japanese embassy for the specific deadlines and accordingly visit the embassy.|
|Secondary Screening and University Placement||February to June 2022||A Secondary Screening is done after all the above requirements are accurately completed.|
|Notification of Result||June 2022||The results are declared in the same month|
|Arrive in Japan||September to October 2022|
The application process may get long or rejected if you do not have the recommended documents ready. We have listed below all the documents you will need so that you can prepare them beforehand:
- Application Form
- Placement Preference Form
- Field of Study and Research Program Plan
- Academic Transcripts for each academic year of the University attended. (If you transferred universities, you might need to submit your pre-transfer transcript or the transcript from your study in the abroad university.)
- Certification of Graduation or degree (a copy attested by an official.)
- Recommendation from the president/dean / academic advisor at the recent university.
- Medical Certificate
- Abstracts of Graduation thesis or published articles (if available)
- Certificates of Language Proficiency (English and Japanese)
- Recommendation letter from the present employer (if employed)
- Photographs or Audio recording of the applicant’s work. ( For Fine arts, music program and other similar courses)
Be sure to check once with the Japanese Embassy or a Consulate as they may have some additional requirements.
Thus, the MEXT scholarship 2022 is a golden opportunity for those who want to pursue higher education in the East Asian nation! If you are planning to attain overseas education that too from one of the best education systems in the world but are not sure about the process then reach out to us at Leverage Edu where the experts will assist you in completing the scholarship related formalities. You can also sign up for a 30 minutes free career counselling session with our experts and get the answers to all your questions!