Chemistry is amongst the choicest subjects for those planning to build a career in the science stream. It is not confined to the discoveries of chemical reactions only, it unequivocally helps a researcher explore the structure of matter and its existence. Analytical chemistry is one of the significant branches of chemistry offering a plethora of job opportunities in research and development as well as academia. In order to build a thriving career in Chemistry, it is essential to study a postgraduate degree in your chosen specialisation. If you are planning to pursue a specialised master’s degree in Chemistry, here is a comprehensive blog on MSc Analytical Chemistry, its core subjects, eligibility criteria, top universities and career prospects.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Full-Form||Master of Science Analytical Chemistry|
|Duration||1.5- 2 years|
|Basic Eligibility||-Graduation in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or any related subject
-You will be required to qualify for entrance exams as per the chosen study destination
|Average Salary||INR 1,00,000- 3,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Application Support Specialist, Pharmaceuticals R&D Analyst, Agile Coach, Chemical Supervisor, Analytical Chemist, Quality Control Chemist and Research Analyst.|
|Top Recruiters||Cisco Systems, Honeywell Technology Solutions, Genpact, Biocon, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd, Gartner group, Dell, Intel Corporation, etc.|
Also Read: Courses after BSc Chemistry
This Blog Includes:
- What is Analytical Chemistry?
- MSc Analytical Chemistry: Course Overview
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process
- Syllabus of MSc Analytical Chemistry
- MSc Analytical Chemistry: Popular Colleges & Universities
- Career Prospects
- Jobs and Salary
- Future Scope of MSc Analytical Chemistry
What is Analytical Chemistry?
Analytical Chemistry involves obtaining, processing as well as communicating information with respect to composition and the overall structure of matter. It explores various methods and techniques to separate, assess and identify matter. Some of the major applications of Analytical Chemistry that are explored in detail in an MSc degree are:
- Qualitative Analysis: This is one of the types of analytical chemistry which is used to detect the core analytes that are existing in the sample.
- Quantitative Analysis: This particular type is used for establishing numerical terms in order to determine the various components present in a sample.
Forensic science, bioanalysis, clinical analysis, environmental analysis, and materials analysis are also some of the major areas of study for MSc Analytical Chemistry graduates. It is important to mention that analytical atomic spectrometry is most acclaimed in the chemistry landscape.
MSc Analytical Chemistry: Course Overview
MSc Analytical chemistry is mainly offered as a 2-year postgraduate degree program that encompasses a detailed study of analytical chemistry, its application as well as its different sub-fields. It encompasses an array of concepts under Applied Chemistry and imparts students with the core skills to assess, measure and interpret data extracted from real-life applications of analytical chemistry. There are different course variants available around the world for an MSc in Analytical Chemistry and some of these are listed below:
|Master of Science in Chemistry||Master of Science in Chemical Sciences||MSc, PGDip, PGCert Analytical Chemistry|
|MSc Analytical Chemistry||Graduate Certificate in Analytical Chemistry||Master of Science in Chemistry – Analytical Chemistry|
|Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry with Management Studies||MRes Pharmaceutical Analysis||MSc Analytical Sciences|
To apply for an MSc in Analytical chemistry, you will be required to meet the essential eligibility criteria prescribed by the university you wish to enrol in. Thus, students are advised to visit the university’s official website to understand the particular course requirements. Here are some of the general eligibility and admission requirements for a master’s degree in Analytical Chemistry:
- You must have completed a bachelor’s degree in any related field like BSc in Chemistry, biochemistry, etc from a recognized university.
- When it comes to applying for this course in India, many universities conduct their own entrance examination.
- For those aiming to study a master’s degree in Chemistry abroad, you will be required to provide GRE scores along with meeting the specific prerequisites for English Language proficiency tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE prescribed by your chosen university. Further, you will have to submit a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs) as well.
- While on the other hand, if you choose to pursue this degree in India, you may have to qualify for IIT JAM, BHU PET, AMU PG and LPU PG.
Below is information on how to apply to top MSc programmes in India, such as MSc analytical chemistry:
- The declaration The criteria for pursuing an MSc in Analytical Chemistry are determined by the student’s entrance exam results and graduation grade point average. Additionally, students must perform well in the round of personal interviews.
- Each college has a different deadline for releasing the application forms for these entrance exams. We have provided a brief description of each entrance exam in the table below. For all entrance exams, the application forms must be submitted online.
- Once an applicant has passed the entrance exams, they will be contacted for counselling and the personal interview stage before being admitted.
The fundamental steps in the admissions process are:
Some colleges conduct entrance-based admission for their MSc Analytical Chemistry programme.
- Students are required to register their names by giving their email addresses, mobile numbers, and passwords.
- Fill in all the required fields with your personal and academic data.
- must show up for the entrance exam on the specified date.
- Selected students will be contacted for counselling and a personal interview after the results are announced, and the admissions process will then begin.
Entrance Exams for MSc Analytical Chemistry
Entrance exams were held at some colleges and universities for students interested in the MSc Analytical Chemistry programme. These are the top MSc entrance exams:-
|Entrance Exams||Registration||Exam Dates|
|CUET PG||April 2023||June 1 – 10, 2023|
|BITSAT||February 2023||June 2023|
|NEST||February 2023||June 2023|
|IIT JAM||September 07 – October 11, 2023||February 12, 2023|
|DUET||April 2023||July 2023|
|TISS NET||December 14 – January 15, 2023||January 28 – February 28, 2023|
Syllabus of MSc Analytical Chemistry
Though the actual course requirements of MSc Analytical Chemistry might differ as per the program and university, here is a list of major subjects which are commonly covered under this postgraduate program.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Spectroscopy of Molecular, Physical Chemistry, Biology for Chemists or Mathematics for Chemists
Practical: Organic Chemistry Practical, Inorganic Chemistry Practical, Physical Chemistry Practical
|Advanced Organic Chemistry, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, Spectroscopy of Molecular Symmetry, Advanced Physical Chemistry
Practical: Organic Chemistry Practical, Inorganic Chemistry Practical, Physical Chemistry Practical, Computers for Chemists
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Thermo-analytical techniques and Electroanalytical Analytical Chemistry, Principles Techniques of Chromatographic Separation, Optical Methods of analysis and Radio Chemicals
Practical: 1st practical on Analytical Chemistry,
2nd practical on Analytical Chemistry Seminars
|Environmental Analytical Chemistry, Applies Analysis Process of Analytical Chemistry, Polymer’s Analytical Chemistry
Practical: 3rd practical on Analytical Chemistry Seminars Project Work
MSc Analytical Chemistry: Popular Colleges & Universities
Now that you are familiar with course requirements and subjects covered under MSc Analytical Chemistry, let’s get to know the top-notch colleges and universities you must consider:
- Loughborough University
- University of Memphis
- University of Bradford
- Old Dominion University
- South Dakota State University
- Mississippi State University
- University of Delaware
- University of British Columbia
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Plymouth
- Lambton College
- Carleton University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
Also Read: 1 Year Diploma Courses after 12th in Science
By completing MSc in Analytical Chemistry, you can choose from a plethora of career opportunities in several sectors. Graduates can explore job opportunities in prominent domains like consumer products, agriculture and food industry, forensic labs etc. Glance through some of the popular career opportunities you can avail after completing a master’s degree in Chemistry:
- Analytical Chemist
- Quality Control Analyst
- Senior Process Analyst Scientist
- Analytical Chemistry Lab Manager
- R&D Scientist
Jobs and Salary
Following completion of the M.Sc. in Analytical Chemistry programme, the following job profiles are best:
|Job Profile||Average Salary in INR|
|Quality Control Analyst||₹ 10.5 Lakhs|
|Senior Process Analyst Scientist||₹ 4.1 Lakhs|
|Lecturer||₹ 2.6 Lakhs.|
|Analytical Chemist||₹ 2.8 Lakhs|
Also Read: MSc Genetics
Future Scope of MSc Analytical Chemistry
After completing the M.Sc. in Analytical Chemistry course, students have a wide range of career options available to them. Let’s talk in detail about this course’s future focus below: –
- Research and lab work are the main topics of this course. This course’s structure was expertly designed to teach students how to measure, interpret, and evaluate scientific data. These abilities are taught during training sessions and industrial visits. For the practical application of analytical chemistry, it is crucial to acquire these abilities.
- Students who want to gain in-depth knowledge for this course can later pursue an M.Phil or doctorate degree. Students can gain extensive knowledge once they enrol in higher degree programmes in this field and are able to study the curriculum in greater detail. After completing these courses, they can work as teachers, lecturers, or professors in any schools, colleges, or universities, where they will begin instructing students in the subject of chemistry.
Quality Control Chemist, Agile Coach, Editor, Quality Manager, R&D Manager, Research Associate, Application Support Specialist, Pharmaceuticals R&D Analyst, R&D Chemical Engineer, etc. are a few of the M.Sc. Analytical Chemistry jobs for graduate students.
With an average annual salary of 2.2 Lakhs, MSC Analytical Chemistry salaries in India range from 0.3 Lakhs to 5.7 Lakhs.
For practitioners, analytical chemistry offers promising career opportunities. Chemical analysis is becoming more and more in demand across a variety of sectors, from environmental sample testing to confirm the health and safety requirements of FMCG, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical products.
Hope this blog has helped you understand the key features of MSc Analytical Chemistry. Aiming to study for a postgraduate degree in Chemistry abroad? Reach out to our Leverage Edu counsellors and we will assist you in exploring the best course and university combinations and finding a suitable one which aligns with your preferences and aspirations! Sign up for an e-meeting with us today!