Situated in Switzerland, ETH Zurich, also known as the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, is a prestigious university with a reputation of being listed in the top 5 universities in Europe and top 10 in the World consistently over the years. In 2021 it was ranked at number 6 in QS Rankings and 14 on Times Higher Education World Rankings. Its 2 beautiful and efficient campuses are a home for more than 20,000 students from over 120 countries and a teaching staff of 500+ teachers. Claiming to be a centre of innovation and knowledge, it has various notable alumni, including a 21 Nobel Prize with Albert Einstein. Here in this blog, we discuss everything about the ETH Zurich acceptance rate.
This Blog Includes:
Must Read Study in Europe
Before we find out about the ETH Zurich acceptance rate, let us first find out about the courses offered here. ETH Zurich offers Bachelor’s degrees in the fields given below:
- Construction Sciences: Architecture; Civil, Environmental and Geospatial Engineering.
- Engineering Sciences: Computer Science; Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology
- Materials Science
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics: Biology; Chemistry; Biochemistry – Chemical Biology; Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology; Interdisciplinary Sciences; Mathematics; Physics; Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Computational Science and Engineering
- System-oriented Sciences: Agricultural Sciences; Food Sciences; Earth Sciences; Environmental Sciences; Health Sciences and Technology;
- Human Medicine
All Bachelor programs are generally taught in German. Bachelor’s degree at ETH Zurich takes 3 years, comprising six semesters to complete. ETH Zurich also offers Master’s degrees in the following fields:
- Construction Sciences and Architecture
- Engineering Sciences
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- System-oriented Sciences
- Management and Social Sciences
Master’s degrees are offered along with a doctorate (Ph.D.) in any of the scientific disciplines provided.
Due to its elite ranking, the competition is very high for ETH Zurich admissions, which makes the ETH Zurich acceptance rate low. The acceptance rate was noted as 27% by the university in 2020. The eligibility criteria for Masters is a score of 100 in TOEFL, 7 in IELTS for most courses generally. Masters are available in English. For undergraduate courses, language requirement has to be met with at least a C1 level in German, among other things. International students also have to pay a non-refundable fee of CHF 150 at the time of application.
If you want to be eligible under the ETH Zurich acceptance rate, you must know about the application process here correctly. There are autumn and spring semesters in ETH Zurich.
- The spring semester starts on Monday, 22.02.2021 and ends Friday, 04.06.2021.
- The autumn semester starts on Monday, 20.09.2021 and finishes Friday, 24.12.2021.
- The application process is more or less the same for all programs, with some variations depending on the course selected.
- The general application procedure includes details such as the English proficiency test scores, SOP, LOR, academic transcripts etc. For international students, additional documents such as passport details, evidence of financial support etc.
While learning about the ETH Zurich acceptance rate, you should know about the fees structure here. ETH Zurich is a prestigious university with an allure for international students because the fees are quite less than other European colleges. It being a public institute is probably the main reason for this fees structure. The Doctoral salary for students being quite high, starting at CHF 47,000 (53,000 USD), is another attraction for students.
- The tuition fee is CHF 730 (830USD) per semester.
- For Doctoral students, there is a one-time fee of CHF 1,500.
- The estimated total study and living costs per university for international students are about CHF 1,920 per month and about CHF 23,000 per year.
Even though the ETH Zurich acceptance rate is low, some scholarships have been made available for students. For international students, certain scholarships and grants support them by various foundations in Switzerland and abroad. Some of which are mentioned below. ETH Zurich provides 2 scholarship programs for those who wish to pursue a Masters Degree:
- Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Program (ESOP)
- ETH-D Scholarship
- Swiss government scholarships: The Swiss Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) provides scholarships to postgraduate students with university degrees.
Yes, ETH Zurich has a good amount of competition for the admissions every year. The acceptance rate is 27%. It is a little hard to get into just like any of the other top universities of the world. But if you want the best then you have to work your best right?
Yes, ETH Zurich has been ranked 6th on the QS Rankings and 14th on Times Higher Education World Rankings. Other than these it has very well reputed alumni which include various Nobel laureates including Albert Einstein. Being consistently in the top 5 European and top 10 world universities definitely makes it prestigious.
ETH Zurich is considerably more affordable than the other European universities and its Doctoral salary is quite high which makes it a very good opportunity for the students.
This was all about the ETH Zurich acceptance rate. Are you interested in taking admission to ETH Zurich? Need help with the admission process? Have doubts about anything? Talk to our experts for help throughout the admission process and detailed explanations about every part of the process at Leverage Edu.