Singapore is well known for its tourist attraction and now has gained huge popularity as an excellent study destination. The lion city offers a blend of cultures, flexible and global standard of education, leading public and private universities, diverse courses and affordable cost of living to the international students. The city boasts about its clean streets, stunning beaches, excellent transport system, efficient healthcare facilities, low crime rate, strict laws and the diversity of cuisines. If you have a keen interest in technology, innovations and designing, then Singapore University of Technology and Design is a perfect fit for you. Let’s explore what makes STUD a great place for designing courses!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Singapore?
- Why Study at the Singapore University Of Technology and Design?
- Eligibility Criteria at Singapore University of Technology
- Popular UG Courses:
- Popular PG Courses
- Course Curriculum for UG Programs
- Course Curriculum for PG Programs
- Global Exposure at the Singapore University of Technology and Design
- SUTD Research and Collaborations
- Career Opportunities at the Singapore University of Technology and Design
Why Study in Singapore?
Why Study at the Singapore University Of Technology and Design?
SUTD has a unique academic structure which follows the key concepts mentioned below:
- Interdisciplinary learning and research: Instead of creating different departments and individual schools, 4 Interdisciplinary pillars have been formed in fields of Architecture and Sustainable Design, Engineering Product Development, Engineering Systems and Designs, Information Systems Technology and Designs. These pillars provide amenities for building a better world as well as polishing innovators through research.
- Design focus and Human-Centered: The main focus of SUTD is design, everything right from products, services, systems revolve around technical designs. Being human-centred, social needs and human behaviours are taken into uttermost consideration.
- Digital Competency as Foundation: The fourth industrial revolution is digital transformation. Hence digital competency is the foundation at STUD, where it is taken care of that the students are competent in areas of programming, statistics and probability, analytics and artificial intelligence.
- Addressing Large-Scale Real-World Issues: STUDS next big step is an investment of millions of dollars in three key economic sectors i.e. Aviation, Health care and Artificial Intelligence/ Data Sciences for addressing global issues such as cybersecurity, sustainable development, rapid urbanisation etc.
- Infrastructure: The campus life at STUD is extravagant with facilities such as F&B services i.e. restaurants, retails and banking services. Various clubs organise recreational and sports activities that keep the students active and engaged. The university also provides wellbeing services such as consultation, psychoeducational program and training to staff and students.
Must Read: Singapore’s restrictions and a better future for Hong Kong academic freedom
Eligibility Criteria at Singapore University of Technology
- One ought to have finished at least 12 years of common education or ought to have taken the Year 12 national/worldwide exam in the same year of application, to be taken into consideration for admission.
- Students with sturdy competency in Mathematics and the Sciences, that is Chemistry or Physics are commonly preferred.
- Submission of either IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).
- ACT / SAT scores are to be submitted by students applying for UG courses.
- GRE/GMAT scores are needed for PG applications.
Note: There can be additional requirements for certain courses. Reach out to Leverage Edu experts to know more about it!
Popular UG Courses:
- Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD)
- Design and Artificial Intelligence (DAI)
- Engineering Product Development (EPD)
- Engineering Systems and Design (ESD)
- Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD)
Popular PG Courses
- Master of Innovation by design
- Master of Engineering(Research)
- Master of Science in Urban Science, Policy and Planning
- Master of Science in Security by Design
- Dual master program in Nano- Electronic Engineering and Design
Must Read: Best Courses to Study in Singapore
Course Curriculum for UG Programs
The undergraduate curriculum mainly emphasises on real-world challenges and the industry’s evolving needs. A customizable three-block structure is followed for imparting education. They are as follows:
Mandatory core curriculum: It spans approximately up to 8 terms. The first three terms are building blocks in Mathematics, Science, Technology and design innovation. Students are bound to take the common and mandatory subjects in freshmore and select major subjects after the 3rd term. In the final graduation year, students participate in a two-term Capstone Project. This requires teamwork by students with other scholars from two different majors and utilizing their respective skills and proficiency to solve day to day issues.
Variable curriculum: STUD believes in flexibility hence it enables students to choose Special programs or take up Minor and tracks/Specialisations, besides the selection of majors and electives within the majors.
Outside the classroom: The university has an Independent Activities Period, which spans for 3 weeks in January and 18-weeks in vacation periods. Various programs are also organised as Undergraduate Research Opportunities programs which provide students with the opportunity to explore their interests. From the day one student are also allowed to participate in funded research under a faculty mentor.
Course Curriculum for PG Programs
SUTD’s graduate programs pass past conventional schooling obstacles and emphasize a multi-disciplinary focus – design, innovation and entrepreneurship are seamlessly incorporated into the curriculum.
Global Exposure at the Singapore University of Technology and Design
SUTD provides various platforms that help students get global exposure and cross-cultural understanding while broadening their perspective as well. Cordial relationships are maintained with partner institutions for increasing the chances of student exchange. The university also has a summer programme that includes thematic projects, academic study, entrepreneurship or research. Freshmore Asian Cross-curricular Trips (FACT) is an initiative that is included in certain Freshmore courses and offers one-week short immersion trips to collaborated universities in ASEAN and China.
Also Read: Singapore Education System
SUTD Research and Collaborations
The various research initiatives by STUD include:
MIT International Design Centre (IDC) is based both in Singapore at SUTD, and in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at MIT. It has global academic and industrial partners. The IDC boasts about having more than a hundred projects that involve approximately 270 faculty, students and innovators.
iTrust was established in collaboration with SUTD and the Ministry of Defence. The main area covered by iTrust is cybersecurity. It includes systems that have countrywide significance, consisting of electricity grids, water treatment plants and oil refineries in addition to cyber-gadgets utilized in healthcare, which includes pacemakers, defibrillators, insulin pumps and vagus nerve stimulation implants.
O-Lab incorporates scholastics and innovators inquisitive about expertise and improving layout and designs.
Temasek Labs at SUTD undertakes studies and development. The modern recognition is on regions of designs of defence machine and development, which includes unmanned systems, soldier systems, information systems, and engineering systems.
Also Read: How to get Singapore work VISA?
Career Opportunities at the Singapore University of Technology and Design
SUTD aids college students and alumni to attain their profession aspirations and dreams via expert profession mentorship, experiential profession modules, internships and networking opportunities. The college additionally has tie-ups with exclusive industries and businesses for internships and placements. The college additionally offers diverse scholarships.
This was all about the courses and career opportunities available at the Singapore University of Technology and Design! If you wish to pursue a full-time course from this university, then get in touch with Leverage Edu experts.