A Statement of Purpose also called a Letter of Motivation in New Zealand, is required by universities in New Zealand as a part of their application process. It is a personal document that talks about your academic journey, your work experiences, extracurricular activities, and everything else that contributes to your persona.
Like any country in the world, an SOP for New Zealand is subtly different from its counterparts. Now you might ask how?
This Blog Includes:
How is SOP for New Zealand Different?
Let’s take a look at what makes SOP for New Zealand different from other countries.
|What is it called?||As mentioned before, SOP for New Zealand is known as the “Letter of Motivation”.|
|Is it Mandatory?||Although SOP for New Zealand is not a mandatory submission, it adds to the weightage of your application and is mostly recommended.|
|Emphasis on New Zealand||It is important to mention, in the SOP for New Zealand, why you chose the particular university and the country as your study destination instead of any other country.|
|Written SOP ONLY||SOP for New Zealand is different from other countries in the sense that it is essential to write the statement in written words only, and not in a video format or something else, like some universities in Canada or USA preferred.|
|Mention Blood Relations||It is extremely essential to mention if you have any blood relations living in New Zealand in the SOP, or even if they have studied or lived there in the last 5 years.|
Importance of SOP for New Zealand
SOP for New Zealand is of great importance. We glance over some main points.
- It can be a key document that supports your visa application.
- It is important as it allows you to showcase your skills.
- It is a medium to see how you suit the profile of the country, and what type of contributions lay ahead in your future.
- It gives confidence to the country that you’re an appropriate candidate that can fulfil your academic ambitions.
- The ways you can contribute to the country’s labour market is another factor that makes SOP for New Zealand important.
Must Read: Requirements to study in New Zealand
Guidelines for an SOP for New Zealand
Now, what is some of the requirements while writing an SOP for New Zealand? Let’s discuss this.
- While SOPs are optional in New Zealand universities, they are still important. Prepare a step-by-step information guide in your head that you’re gonna share in your SOP – such as academic, family, and professional history.
- Explain the reasons for selecting the program and be straightforward.
- How will you be benefitted from applying to this particular program? Expand on the same.
- Do not only write creatively but intentionally, to the point. You are sharing a glimpse of your life that makes sense for the academic council to see. Therefore, additional experiences and information that are not suitable to be added to the SOP should be discarded.
- Go through the chosen university’s website to see if they have detailed the structure of writing an SOP. If yes, follow that only.
What is the SOP for New Zealand Visa?
Another thing slightly different in New Zealand is the presence of SOP for New Zealand Student Visas. In New Zealand, there’s an SOP for a New Zealand study visa that gives a quick glance at the overall purpose of studying in the country. It is a decision-maker between acceptance and rejection in New Zealand. It has its own set of guidelines. We shall cover the same below.
Guidelines for SOP for New Zealand Visa
The set of intended guidelines for writing an SOP for New Zealand stated below can be found in the following.
|The Length||The maximum limit to write an SOP for a New Zealand study visa is 2-3 pages.|
|The Language||The SOP for a New Zealand study visa must be written in fluent and professional English.|
|The Text||The body text of the SOP for the New Zealand study visa should include: The Introduction – With your passport number, DOB, the intention behind writing the SOP, etc.The Background – Introduce your academic and family, and professional background, alongside how the aforementioned pursued you to choose the course you did Why New Zealand? – Reasons for choosing this particular country for realising your dreams, over other countries. Career Goals – Dreams and ambitions and what means you envision achieving the same financial Capability – State ways you are going to support your education, mention the source of financial funds, etc.Conclusion – Acknowledge that you shall adhere to all rules and regulations of staying in New Zealand|
|Post-Study Aspirations||Mention in your own words what your intention is after completing your studies in New Zealand. Don’t explain too much. Stay on the course of the point.|
Must Read: New Zealand Work Visa
Tips to Ace SOP for New Zealand
We know how to write an SOP, but what are some of the variables that can make all the difference? Here are some of the tips to keep in mind and ace the SOP for New Zealand.
- Ignore long and unnecessary paragraphs
- Reason your way throughout the entire letter of motivation. Do not falter.
- Do not use filler words to match the word count of the SOP, avoid alliterations, and only use statements that minimise your chances of getting a study permit rejection.
- Be economical in your words and in your explanations.
- Stay far from any type of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, or typographical errors.
- Ensure that each paragraph of your essay is linked to one another and makes sense in the context of getting admission.
Basic Sample SOP for New Zealand
Here is a short, basic, example of an SOP of a student who wants to pursue a master’s in the field of mathematics. For this university, the word limit was 250 – 500 words.
I pursued my undergraduate program in ____________ to know more about ____________and it motivated me to work towards a career in ______________.
I learned __________ while I was in school and then went to work on ____________ from scratch. I decided to pursue a Bachelor of Mathematics because my passion for ___________ was abundant and I couldn’t resist pursuing this specialization for my bachelor’s degree. The world of mathematics is a powerful blend of well-known subsets as well as untapped areas filled with humongous potential to change the world.
I wanted to gain prior work experience in _______________________. After working at ___________for over two years, I realised that Mathematics is the core specialisation I want to pursue MS in. That’s when I came across the meticulously structured M.Math program at your university and decided that it is the right one for an experienced data science professional like me.
Studying MS in _________, I want to further gain specialized knowledge in this area of study along with contributing to research at your renowned university. My long-term goal is to ______________ This program in ________________ will also help me gain useful knowledge and skills to steer toward a successful career and fulfil my research aspirations.
I intend to look forward to being a part of your university and pursuing my dream ambition in __________________________.
Top Universities in New Zealand
These are some of the top universities in New Zealand that you can apply to, and write an SOP for.
|The University of Auckland||87|
|University of Otago||217|
|Victoria University of Wellington||275|
|University of Canterbury||284|
|University of Waikato||331|
An SOP for New Zealand Visa includes the following:
Details of Academic History
Personal and Financial background.
Professional experience, whether it be full/part-time, or voluntary
Reasons why you wish to study at this particular institution.
Reasons for studying the chosen field.
Yes, SOP for a New Zealand student visa is an essential requirement as it is a deciding factor between your visa application’s approval and rejection.
Unless otherwise specified, a standard statement of purpose should be two pages long, use a maximum font size of 12-point, and be double-spaced with normal margins. As a result, depending on the font used, a standard SOP would be between 800 and 1000 words long.
This was all about SOP for New Zealand! You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.