Amongst the happiest countries to study abroad, Finland has truly set a landmark for other countries by providing its citizens with higher incomes, a unique and internationally acclaimed education system as well as healthcare for all! It also attracts scores of international students every year from around the world for its meticulously designed courses, top universities, academic freedom as well as economical tuition costs! Want to study in Finland? Finland Student Visa is one of the essentials you need to apply for while gearing up to begin your higher education journey at the land of Santa Claus! Read this blog to know all about Finland Student Visa, including its requirements, application process, processing time, cost and fees.
This Blog Includes:
- Finland Visa for Indians
- Finland Study Visa Requirements
- Documents Checklist
- Finland Student Visa Application Process
- Finland Work Visa for Indians
- Finland Student Visa Acceptance Rate
- Finland Study Visa IELTS Requirements
- Finland Student Visa Processing Time
- Finland Student Visa Interview Questions
- Finland Student Visa Working Hours
Finland Visa for Indians
There are two types of student visas issued by Finland, i.e. Short-term Visa and Long-term Visa or Residence permits. These Finland Student visas vary as per the duration of your stay in the country. Only non-EU/EEA students are required to apply for a Finland student visa. Here is the duration specified for each student visa according to which you can select the right one for your chosen study program:
|Finland Student Visa||Duration|
|Short Term Visa||90 days or less|
|Residence Permit||More than 90 days|
If you aim to study a short-term course in Finland that can be completed within less than 3 months in duration, then you have to only apply for a Short-term Finland student visa. Likewise, if you’re planning to pursue a certificate diploma or any brief language course, apply only for the short-stay visa.
But, if the duration of your course exceeds the time period of 90 days then it is essential for you to have applied for a Long-term Student Visa or Residence Permit before you start your educational journey in the country. Students who aim to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate courses in the country must have this type of visa to study in Finland.
Finland Study Visa Requirements
Whether you’re applying for a short term Finland Student Visa or Residence Permit have to meet these requirements.
- A student essentially has to provide the officially approved letter of acceptance granted by any Finnish university or institution you have applied for.
- You must possess a valid passport.
- The total validity of the passport must surpass the time duration of visa or residence permit you have applied for at least by 90 days or 3 months.
- Passport of the student should have been issued in the last 10 years.
- You must present the approved copy of the completed application form.
- Present a valid proof of your financial capacity determining you’re able to support yourself financially during your entire stay in Finland and also for the return to your own country at the end of the degree. You should have at least EUR 560 (INR 43,316.17) every month to make your stay possible in Finland.
- A student is also asked to furnish a recent financial statement issued by your bank showcasing that you currently have a minimum of EUR 6720 in your bank account.
- Furthermore, you must submit an authentic proof of health and medical insurance that comprehensively covers your entire stay period in Finland.
- You must prove you are in good physical as well as mental health and also you don’t have any kind of contagious diseases.
- A student should have a clean criminal record.
- Neither, you should have been refused entry into Finland any time.
- Also, you fully show your intention to leave Finland as your legalized stay in the country ends.
After you meet all the eligibility requirements for obtaining a visa, here are the documents required to apply for Finland Student Visa:
- A valid passport.
- A colour passport photo.
- Multiple colour copies of the personal data page of the passport and also any other passport page filled with notes.
- Acceptance document or certificate issued by a Finnish institution.
- All the details of your tuition fee or scholarships you have been granted.
- Financial proof so as to support yourself.
- Valid health insurance.
- Previous academic qualifications ascertaining your eligibility.
Finland Student Visa Application Process
The application process for the Finland student visa can be carried out both offline and online. During the present pandemic situation, the visa application centres have been closed down in India and applicants can only carry out their applications online. Here is the application procedure for Finland Student Visa:
- Download the visa application form online and fill out all the details, attach the documents and sign the application.
- You need to submit your filled application at the nearest application centre whenever it’s open. You can also ask for a courier delivery or post method to save an additional trip to the centre.
- At the visa application centre, you will have to provide the visa application in Indian rupees. (check the next section for fees and costs)
- The next step is biometrics data submission when you will have to provide your fingerprints as well as a digital photograph.
- Then, your application will be processed and you will be notified about the availability of visa accordingly.
The Finland student visa processing time is 1 to 3 months as the processing of the online application takes 2-3 months while the paper application will take 1-3 months.
Note: Due to the present Covid-19 situation, Finland Immigration has completely suspended accepting visa applications at its visa application centres in India. Visit the official website of the Finland Embassy in India to know more!
Here are the fees for Short-term and Long-term Finland Student Visa:
- Short-term Student Visa: 300 EUR (23,205.09 INR)
- Long-term Student Visa/Residence Permit: 330 EUR (25,525.60 INR)
Finland Work Visa for Indians
There are different types of Finland work Visas available for Indians. All citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein have to apply for the Finland work visa before working. Here are the three types of Finland work Visa for Indians:
- Business Visa
- Residence Permit for Self Employed
- Residence Permit for Employed Person
Finland Student Visa Acceptance Rate
Every year thousands of people from all around the world apply for Finland student Visas. Despite the high number of applications, it has a high acceptance rate and only 1.7% of Visas are declined by the authorities.
Finland Study Visa IELTS Requirements
The International English Language Testing System or IELTS is an established test for examining English proficiency. For every study abroad aspirant applying for Visa, it is important to have IELTS scores. For Finland Visa for Indians, students must score at least 6.0 or higher. TOEFL iBT score of 79 to 92 is also acceptable.
Finland Student Visa Processing Time
There are two ways to submit your Finland student Visa one is through electronic mode and the other through offline mode. The processing time for the online application takes 2-3 months on the other hand offline application takes 3 months minimum.
Finland Student Visa Interview Questions
Visa interview plays a vital role in acquiring the visa and most of the students are denied Visa after interview around. Here are some of the common Finland student visa interview questions:
- Are you married? If Yes, What does your Spouse do?
- Can you reschedule a shorter trip? Why do you need three/month Visa?
- Do you have a covered health insurance for this journey?
- Do you have any family member or friends in Finland?
- Do you have any friends in the university you are planning to study?
- Are you planning to pursue any other courses after your current course is finished?
Finland Student Visa Working Hours
International students are allowed to work 20-25 hours a week during the term time and are allowed to work full time during holidays. There are various part-time jobs available for international students in Finland. Students can earn between INR 785- 1130 per hour depending upon the sector.
Yes, you need IELTS of 6.0 or higher for Finland student Visa.
Yes, you can work 20-25 hours in a week during term time and up to 40 hours in holidays.
If you have been working in Finland for 4 or more years after graduation, you are eligible for PR.
Students should at least score 6.0 overall in IELTS and 5.5 in each section.
If you have a residence permit for studies, you can bring your family/spouse to Finland.
We hope that this blog has provided you with all the details regarding Finland Student Visa. Planning to study in Finland? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you find the right course and university as well as sort out the application process to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted! Sign up for a free session now!