Amongst the world-leading economies, Japan is also known as the Land of the Rising Sun and has contributed phenomenally to inventing the day-to-day technologies we use today and continues to keep the world in awe with its strive to create newer innovations and inventions! But technology is not the only sector in which Japan is impeccable, but the country has also designed a unique education system which is considered amongst the best in the world! One of the top study destinations, studying in Japan is a life-changing experience as you enter a profoundly rich culture with an emphasis on lifelong learning! A crucial part of pursuing higher studies in Japan, international students are essentially required to obtain a student visa. Read this blog to know about the types of Japan Student Visa, its application process, processing time, requirements and more!
This Blog Includes:
Japan Student Visa
To enter the Japanese border as a potential student, it is necessary to have the right type of visa. You can seek two different types of Japan student visas i.e., Short Stay Visa and Long Stay Visa, depending upon the duration of your stay. To experience the diverse culture of Japan and complete your educational program, you can choose your preferred visa type from the below-mentioned table:
|Japan Student Visa||Duration|
|Short Stay Visa||Less than or exactly 90 days|
|Long Stay Visa||More than 90 days|
If you are planning to study short term courses in Japan which range from less than 3 months or exactly three months in duration, then you will have to apply for a short-stay visa. Commonly the students who intend to pursue a certificate diploma or language course in Japan choose the short stay visa.
If the duration of your course is more than 90 days, then it is compulsory for you to have a long-stay visa before entering Japan. Most of the students who wish to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s courses in the country, seek this type of visa and complete their stay peacefully.
Certificate of Eligibility for Japan
Any non-resident of Japan who wishes to enter the country for a short period of stay must get issued a Certificate of Eligibility from the immigration services in Japan. It is one of the most essential documents that you need for applying for any kind of Japan Student Visa. Students must note that the Certificate of Eligibility is different from the visa and a student must possess it before entering Japan. Thus, the academic institution you are applying to is in charge of providing you with this document, only if you have submitted all the essential documents and the applicable fee beforehand. To get the Certificate of Eligibility issued, you need the same set of documents and process fee as that of a Japan Student Visa.
Whether you are applying for a short stay visa or long stay visa, the documents required for these two Japan Student Visa types are the same. Listed below are the documents that you have to submit with your visa application:
- A valid passport (along with its photocopies)
- Passport size picture with a size 4cm x 3cm that is taken within the last three months
- Letter of admission from a registered Japanese educational Institute stating course details and duration
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Transcripts of previous academic and/or professional journey
- Document stating financial stability up to the duration of the course
- Necessary documents of scholarships, if any
- A motivational letter stating the reason and objective behind your travel
- Letter of guarantee and letter of invitation issued by the institution (not mandatory)
Once you have collected your Certificate of Eligibility and all the necessary documents, you are all set to apply for the Japan student visa. Here is the detailed application process for Japan Student Visa:
- Visit the official website and download the application form for visa and Certificate of Eligibility.
- Apply for Certificate of Eligibility and submit all the necessary documents.
- Once you receive the Certificate of Eligibility, fill up your application form and submit all the important documents required.
- After the submission of the visa application along with all the necessary documents, you will receive your Japan student visa.
Cost of Japan Student Visa
The cost of the Japanese Student Visa for Short and Long stay is 3000 Yen (INR 2098). Also, the cost of the Certificate of Eligibility required for the visa application is also 3000 Yen (INR 2098).
Hence, we hope that this blog provided you with all the essential details about Japan Student Visa. Planning to study your dream course in Japan? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts and we will guide you throughout the process of selecting the right university as well as drafting an impressive application and bagging a great scholarship to pursue your higher studies in Japan! Sign up for a free session now!