Chartered Accountancy or commonly known as CA, is a professional course that equips one with technical knowledge to manage finance, accounting and taxation for an organization or any business entity. Chartered Accountancy is not just a course but a social responsibility for which individuals are trusted by the public, corporate firms, government authorities and other pillars of the economy. With a reputation of being one of the highest degrees of integrity and professionalism in the country, Chartered Accountants (CA) are considered to be the most prestigious experts in the field of business and finance. Are you willing to take the opportunity to pursue this valuable course? Are you looking for CA subjects that you should master to crack all the levels of this one of the toughest exams in the world? Then here’s a comprehensive guide on Chartered Accountancy and various subjects that are a part of the CA examination curriculum.
|Offering Body||The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)|
|Levels of the Course||3 Levels|
|Duration of Course||CPT route (after 12th class): 4.5-5 years
Direct Entry route (after graduation): 3 years
|Minimum Eligibility||10+2 Qualification|
|Average Fee||CA Foundation Course: INR 9800
CA Intermediate Course: INR 18,000 (both groups), INR 13,000 (Group I/II)
CA Final Course Fee: INR 22,000
|Average Salary||INR 5 LPA-20 LPA|
This Blog Includes:
- Important Dates 2023
- CA Eligibility Criteria
- CA Subjects and Syllabus 2023
- How to Become a Chartered Accountant?
- Who is a Chartered Accountant?
- Path to Become a Chartered Accountant?
- CA Selection Process and Structure
- CA Exam List 2023
- Skills Required to Become a CA
- CA Subjects- Why Pursue a Professional Career in CA?
- CA Final Group 1 Subjects
- CA Final Group 2 Subjects
- Advancing Studies and Courses
- Books for CA Subjects
- Job Opportunities in Chartered Accountancy
- Top Organizations Hiring Chartered Accountants
Important Dates 2023
The tentative dates related to ICAI 2023 are provided in the table given below:
|Last date for registration for the Foundation course||December 2022, last week/ June 2023, last week|
|Foundation exam||May 2023/ November 2023|
|Last date for registration for the Intermediate course (foundation route)||March, 1st week/ September, 1st week|
|Intermediate exam||November/ May|
|Last date for registration for the Intermediate course (direct entry)||February, 1st week/ August, 1st week|
|Intermediate exam||November/ May|
CA Eligibility Criteria
Now that you are familiar with what is the full form of CA, its levels and the process to acquire the designation; the next step would be to understand the requirements that are necessary to become one. As stated in the above passage, that there are two entry routes of becoming a CA, let us understand both the entry points-
- CA Foundation Entry: After qualifying your class 12th exams with any stream, you can pursue CA course by qualifying the CA Foundation exam. This is one of the most preferable routes chosen for entering this route.
- CA IPCC: To the ones wondering how they can pursue CA after graduation pt PG course, then, joining the course at the CA IPCC level is the most suitable option. Candidates must have at least 55% marks if they have pursued a degree in the domain of commerce. Else, applicants with at least 60% marks in their UG course are eligible to appear for this level.
While understanding the CA subjects and CA course details, it is important to note that after completing the second level of the course, CA IPCC, it is mandatory for candidates to serve 3 years of Article ship. After completion of the second level and article ship, candidates are eligible for entering CA Final. Upon qualifying all the exams of the CA Final, candidates will be eligible to pursue a full-time career as Chartered Accountants.
CA Subjects and Syllabus 2023
In order to become a successful Chartered Accountant, one needs to combine innovative education with mentored work experience. This helps to develop the ability to analyze and interpret business problems and find out dynamic solutions. Perhaps, this is the reason why a CA has the edge over its counterparts. Here is the complete CA syllabus 2023:
|CA Level||Subjects||Marking Scheme|
|CA Foundation||1. Principles and Practices of Accounting
2. Business Law & Business Correspondence and Reporting
3. Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics
4. Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge
|100 Marks each
|CA IPCC||1. Accounting
2. Business Laws, Ethics and Communication
3. Cost Accounting and Financial Management
5. Advanced Accounting
6. Auditing and Assurance
7. Enterprise Information System & Strategic Management
|100 Marks each
|CA Final||1. Financial Reporting
2. Strategic Financial Management
3. Advanced Auditing and Professional Ethics
4. Corporate Laws and Economic Laws
5. Strategic Cost Management and Performance Evaluation
7. Direct Tax Laws and International Taxation
8. Indirect Tax Laws
|100 Marks each
Below listed are the important CA subjects and topics covered in each of its examination modules:
CA Foundation or CPT Subjects
Given below is the list of subjects in CA foundation or CPT Subjects 2023:
|Paper Number||Subject Name||Marks|
|Paper 1||Principles and Practices of Accounting||100 Marks|
|Paper 2||Business Law & Business Correspondence and Reporting
Part I: Business Law [60 Marks]
Part II: Business Correspondence and Reporting [40 Marks]
|Paper 3||Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics
Part I: Business Mathematics [40 Marks]
Part II: Logical Reasoning [20 Marks]
Part III: Statistics [40 Marks]
|Paper 4||Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge
Part I: Business Economics [60 Marks]
Part II: Business and Commercial Knowledge [40 Marks]
CA Intermediate or IPCC Subjects
The table given below covers all the CA subjects 2023 for IPCC:
|Paper Number||Subject Name||Marks|
|Paper 1||Accounting||100 Marks|
|Paper 2||Business Laws, Ethics and Communication
Part I: Business Laws [60 Marks]
Part II: Ethics [20 Marks]
Part III: Communication [20 Marks]
|Paper 3||Cost Accounting and Financial Management
Part I: Cost Accounting [50 Marks]
Part II: Financial Management [50 Marks]
Part I: Income Tax Law [50 Marks]
Part II: Indirect Tax Laws [50 Marks]
|Paper 5||Advanced Accounting||100 Marks|
|Paper 6||Auditing and Assurance||100 Marks|
|Paper 7||Enterprise Information System & Strategic Management
Part I: Enterprise Information System [50 Marks]
Part II: Strategic Management [50 Marks]
CA Final Subjects 2023
The CA subjects 2022 in the final level of the exam are grouped into 2 categories namely Group 1 and Group 2. Both of which contains 4 papers each.
|Paper Number||Subject Name||Marks|
|Paper 1||Financial Reporting||100 Marks|
|Paper 2||Strategic Financial Management||100 Marks|
|Paper 3||Advanced Auditing and Professional Ethics||100 Marks|
|Paper 4||Corporate Laws and Economic Laws
Part I: Corporate Laws [70 Marks]
Part II: Economic Laws [30 Marks]
|Paper 5||Strategic Cost Management and Performance Evaluation||100 Marks|
|Paper 6||Elective [Refer to the table given below]||100 Marks|
|Paper 7||Direct Tax Laws and International Taxation
Part I: Direct Tax Laws [70 Marks]
Part II: International Taxation [30 Marks]
|Paper 8||Indirect Tax Laws
Part I: Goods and Services Tax [75 Marks]
Part II: Customs and FTP [25 Marks]
|Paper 6A: Risk Management||Paper 6C: International Taxation||Paper 6E: Global Financial Reporting Standards|
|Paper 6B: Financial Services and Capital Markets||Paper 6D: Economic Laws||Paper 6F: Multidisciplinary Case Study|
How to Become a Chartered Accountant?
ICAI conducts the CA exams list in India consists of 3 names – CA Foundation, IPCC and CA Final. Candidates need to clear the entire CA exam list in order to become a professional in this field.
If you wish to pursue Chartered Accountancy in India, then, you will have to register under the CA course offered by ICAI. CA course in India consists of three levels:
- CA Foundation
- CA IPCC
- CA Final
ICAI organises CA exams twice a year that is in the months of May and November. The duration for becoming a CA in India is 4 to 5 years long that includes a mandatory period of Articleship. ICAI allows candidates to pursue a CA course after completion of class 12th as well after graduation only if the candidate has pursued a relevant course. Recently, it has also been announced that candidates can register for the chartered accountant’s course after completing class 10th.
These exams are conducted twice a year, check out the diagram given below for a better understanding:
Who is a Chartered Accountant?
A designation of Chartered Accountant is worldwide referred to as a professional accountant or Certified Public Accountant (CPA). This qualification opens the door to a vast range of exciting career opportunities in the sphere of business and finance. These professionals can wear a number of hats but the specialization and the CA subjects they choose determines under which umbrella they will work. There are typically 4 areas in which professional accountants serve:
- Applied Finance
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Management Accounting
Path to Become a Chartered Accountant?
Now that you are familiarised with the eligibility of the CA course, we have detailed a complete guide on how to become a Chartered Accountant in the following sections:
Choose a Career Path
There are different paths available for those aspiring for a career in Chartered Accountancy. This field constitutes of various job roles such as a Chartered Accountant, Chartered Management Accountant, Chartered Accountant (Audit), Chartered Certified Accountant, Public Accountant, Business Accountant, Finance Manager, etc. These career paths vary according to the professional training and knowledge an individual has gained. To explore these opportunities, you can choose from numerous quality education programs offered around the world in the field of Finance and Accountancy.
Register for CPT
A Common Proficiency Test authorized by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India is the primary level exam of Chartered Accountancy. Clearing this test, you will become eligible to appear for the second-level entrance exam which is integral for becoming a CA.
Register for IPCC
Candidates who have successfully passed the CPT exam can apply for the next level Integrated Professional Competence Course. IPCC comprises a total of 7 exams in the form of groups (Group 1+ Group 2). Candidates are required to qualify for a minimum of one group in order to proceed to the following level.CA Subjects
ITT and Orientation
Information Technology Training and Orientation program is compulsory for candidates aspiring to become a CA. The program introduces you to the essential skills and knowledge of the Accounting industry. The only major concern regarding the ITT and orientation is their registration process. Hence, it becomes important to apply for the ITT and orientation program prior to registering for the Articleship.
Registering for Articleship
Articleship is a critical part of the procedure of how to become a Chartered Accountant because it equips students with vital exposure to the Accounting industry. Those aspiring to work as CA are required to register for article assistance for a period of 3 years with any practising chartered accountant. To begin with, individuals can start working in financial and accounting firms which will provide them with a real-time experience of handling clients and executing financial programs. Gaining proper professional experience, you will be deemed qualified for the final CA exam.
Qualify CA Final Course
Candidates are required to appear for the CA final examination during the last six months of their article training period. This is the last step of the process of becoming a CA after which you can step into the industry to gain further experience.
Also Read: CA Final New Syllabus
Get Additional Professional Experience
Completing just a CA course or graduation degree is not enough. Today, top recruiters and business firms look for professionals with specialised knowledge and skills. You need to take a specialisation to discover career prospects in your chosen field of interest. You can choose from a wide range of Finance courses offered around the globe and opt for a specialisation that fits your preferences and interests.
CA Selection Process and Structure
Here are the important details which you should know about how to become a Chartered Accountant along with some important CA subjects:
- The students should register with the recognized authority governing CA programs like ICAI.
- They need to qualify 3 modules of the course: CA Foundation Exam, Intermediate Course (2 groups) and CA Final which consists of numerous CA subjects.
- After you have cleared the first level i.e, CA Foundation Exam and the first group of Intermediate Course, you are eligible to begin your articleship under CA firm or a practicing CA.
- Till the time you complete 3 years of practical training, your CA Final is due which you must clear.
- Other than this, you have to complete a computer-related training and an Orientation Course (OC) to improve your information technology and for soft skill development.
- Once everything is complete, students will attain their professional CA degree.
Note: If you are wondering about how to pursue CA after Graduation then the undergraduate degree holders can skip the CA Foundation exam and enrol directly with the ICAI for the Intermediate Course.
CA Exam List 2023
Generally running for a period of 3-4 years, depending on how long you take to clear the exams, the Chartered Accountancy course is a gateway to one of the most reputed professions across the world. Upon completing class 12th with the Commerce stream, one can appear for the exams. Enlisted are some of the top institutes governing the Chartered/Certified Public Accountancy program all across the world:
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Chartered Accountants of Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia (ICAA)
Skills Required to Become a CA
Now that you are familiar with what is the full form of CA along with a basic understanding of the journey of the course, let us take a quick look at what are the important skills that one must have to become a CA-
- Deliverance and determination
- A knack for numbers
- Conceptual understanding
- Analytical skills
- Ability to handle manifold tasks under pressure
CA Subjects- Why Pursue a Professional Career in CA?
Chartered Accountants are recognized for their professional standards, technical competence and veracity. There is a constant demand for these professionals all around the world, because of tremendous growth in the business and finance sector.
The Chartered Difference
You do not need prior work experience to pursue a course in CA. However, you get an opportunity to undergo articleship and training while pursuing the course. And the latter part is important to get a license to professionally work as a CA.
A professional qualification in Chartered Accountancy has true global mobility with its education and crucially the training recognized internationally.
CA has an increasing career opportunity due to its global recognition as one of the highest-respected positions. After successfully clearing all the stages in the CA examination along with subsequent training, there is ample well-paying jobs for individuals in any of the top business and finance companies.
The flexibility of the Study Programme
If you’re planning to enrol for a CA course, you must know that CA is a full-fledged professional degree offered by a recognized institute governing the CA program in a specific country. However, there is no compulsion to attend classes regularly which opens up the feasibility for students to study various CA subjects at their own pace.
CA Final Group 1 Subjects
- Financial Reporting
- Strategic Financial Management
- Advanced Auditing and Professional Ethics
- Corporate and Allied Laws
CA Final Group 2 Subjects
- Advanced Management Accounting
- Information Systems Control and Audit
- Direct Tax Laws
- Indirect Tax Laws
Advancing Studies and Courses
Undoubtedly, you gain almost everything you wished in your life after becoming a CA. But the knowledge acquired through CA subjects when combined with some other courses can give an edge over the other roles in an organization:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA course)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
- Company Secretary (CS)
- Cost and Work Accountants (CWA)
- MBA in Finance
- Actuarial Science
Also Read: How to Become a Company Secretary?
Books for CA Subjects
- Shuchita Prakashan Scanner CA Foundation on Principles And Practice Of Accounting (New Syllabus) Paper
- Shuchita Prakashan Scanner CA Foundation on Business Laws And Business Correspondence And Reporting (New Syllabus) Paper – 2 For May 2020 Exam
- Shuchita Prakashan Scanner CA Foundation on Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning And Statistics (New Syllabus) Paper – 3 For May 2020 Exam
- Shuchita Prakashan Scanner CA Foundation on Business Economics And Business And Commercial Knowledge (New Syllabus) Paper – 4 For May 2020 Exam
- Business Economics And Business And Commercial Knowledge Study Material For CA Foundation
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Law For CA – PCC /IPCC
- CA Intermediate Study Guide 2021
- Handbook On Income Tax For CA Inter / IPCC
- Goods & Services Tax (GST) Law & Practice With MCQs
- Corporate Governance, Ethics And Social Responsibility
- Auditing And Assurance: Theory And Practice
- Advanced Cost Accounting
- Business Ethics And Communication (CA-PCC / IPCC / ATC)
- CA-IPCC Auditing And Assurance (For CA-IPCC Group-II)
- CA Final Study Guide 2021
- Indirect Taxes Containing GST, Customs, FTP & Comprehensive Issues
- Strategic Management
- Mergers And Acquisitions: Strategy, Valuation, And Integration
- International Accounting
- Financial Management eBook
- Derivatives And Risk Management
- Tulsian’s Financial Reporting
Job Opportunities in Chartered Accountancy
Chartered Accountants take on the role of business advisors in high-level strategic decisions, driving business, increasing market share for clients or employers and improving profit margins. Other than this, many CAs are seen using their skills and expertise to form their own businesses and become highly successful entrepreneurs.
Here is a list of top recruiters of Chartered Accountants.
- Audit and Taxation
- Tax Advisory Firms
- Cost Accountant
- Project Finance or Financial Advisory
- Banking and Financial Services (Government and Private)
- Investment Banking Firms
- Insurance Sector
- Corporate Houses (includes planning and budget team
- Law Firms
- Chartered Accountant Firms
The rewards that go with professional accountants are significant. Below is a list of major job profiles for a CA to work on:
- Tax Specialist (Direct and Indirect Taxes)
- Cost Accountant
- Investment Banker
- Manager or Assistant Manager in Accounts, Finance, Credit, etc
- Asset Manager
Also Read: Short Term Courses in Finance – 2020 List
Top Organizations Hiring Chartered Accountants
The arduous journey of becoming a CA Can turn out to be fruitful after earning a job in a reputable organisation. other than practising Chartered Accountancy independently, many candidates get associated with organisations and handle their Finance. Listed below are a few top organisations which often hire CA graduates-
- Reliance Industries
- Grant Thornton
- Kotak Mahindra
- ICICI Bank
- Aditya Birla Group
- Indian Oil
No. Pursuing BCom is not a mandatory requirement. One can start with the course on completion of class 12th.
All those who have completed 2.5 years of articleship and have cleared the previous levels are eligible. Further, if the applicant has never appeared for the old scheme and is planning to do it for the new scheme then it is mandatory to complete AICITSS.
Advanced Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft Skills or AICITSS consist of management skills and IT course which has been introduced in the new scheme and is in existence since 2017.
Yes. It is sent to the qualifying as well as non-qualifying candidates. Those who applied but didn’t appear for any of the CA subjects will not receive it.
If you’re considering becoming a Chartered Accountant, you should be familiar with all the CA subjects covered in various stages of the CA examination. Take this opportunity to reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu to find out more about the entry routes, in order to build an exciting career path towards the industry of your choice, anywhere in the world. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.