The question of how to become a Chartered Accountant is a lengthy one to answer owing to the rigorous process that a candidate needs to go through in order to achieve this certification. Known as the most popular designation for a career in Accountancy, there are different level CA examinations that one needs to qualify to earn it. CA Foundation and CA Integrated Professional Competence Course (IPCC) are two different-level Chartered Accountancy examinations organised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICIA). CA IPCC is the secondary level exam for the students who have qualified the CA Foundation or possess equivalent qualifications. The IPCC examination takes place twice a year in the months of May and November. So, if you are planning to appear for the IPCC examination, here is a blog that aims to provide you with a comprehensive guide on the important notifications, eligibility, exam pattern and syllabus that you must know before taking the test.
Check Out An Exclusive Guide on How to Pursue CA After Graduation!
This Blog Includes:
CA IPCC 2021 Dates
Here are the important dates for the CA IPCC exam May 2021 session-
|Application Starts||3rd week of Feb 2021|
|Application Closes||Early March 2021|
|Last of Submission of Application with Late Fee||Last week of March 2021|
|Admit Card Release||TBA|
|IPCC Exam Group I||Stated Below|
|IPCC Exam Group II||Stated Below|
IPCC Group 1
|Accounting||22 May 2021|
|Corporate and Other Laws||24 May 2021|
|Cost and Management Accounting||27 May 2021|
|Taxation||29 May 2021|
IPCC Group 2
|Advanced Accounting||31 May 2021|
|Auditing and Assurance||02 June 2021|
|Enterprise Information System and Strategic Management||04 June 2021|
|Financial Management and Economics for Finance||06 June 2021|
For the CA aspirants, there are some mandatory eligibility requirements specified by the ICIA which they need to meet in order to apply for the exam. The official authorities holds the power to cancel the candidature of the participants in case of any discrepancy. Here is a list of prerequisites specified for the CA IPCC exam:
- For candidates who have attained the formal schooling of 10+2, they have to qualify for the CA Foundation examination constituted by the official body or its equivalent determined by the government.
- For those who possess a graduate or postgraduate degree in Commerce with at least 55% or in streams similar to Commerce with 60%, they can join directly at the IPCC level.
- Candidates studying in the final year of their undergraduate degree can also enter this level but they have to submit documents of proof stating that the completion of the course is within six months of enrollment. If they fail to provide the appropriate proof, this will lead to the cancellation of their registration without the refund of the fee amount.
Check Out: CA Foundation Syllabus
CA IPCC: Exam Pattern
There are 7 subjects in CA IPCC which are divided into 2 groups. Group 1 consists of 4 subjects whereas there are 3 subjects in Group 2. The weightage of the papers are different and the minimum marks to qualify in each subject is 40 our of 100 and students have to qualify the papers as well as the whole group to move onto the next level. For group 1, candidates need to score a minimum aggregate of 200 marks and for group 2 150 marks.
To help you understand the different papers under each group, here is a table that enlists the topics covered as well as the marking scheme.
CA IPCC Group 1
|Paper 1– Accounting||–||100|
|Paper 2– Business Laws, Ethics and |
|Part 1– Law|
Part 2– Business Ethics
Part 3– Business Communication
|Paper 3– Cost Accounting and|
|Part 1– Cost Accounting |
Part 2– Financial Management
|Paper 4– Taxation||Part 1– Income Tax |
Part 2– Service Tax and VAT
25 + 25
CA IPCC Group 2
|Paper 5– Advanced Accounting||–||100|
|Paper 6– Auditing and Assurance||–||100|
|Paper 7– Information Technology and |
|Section A– Information Technology|
Section B– Strategic Management
CA IPCC: Syllabus
The syllabus of the CA IPCC exam is meticulously designed to gauge the skills of aspirants and evaluate their knowledge in the rigorous discipline of Accounting. There are a total of 7 subjects at this level which are bifurcated under 2 groups. The students have to clear both groups to move onto the next level. Here are some core topics covered in the 7 papers in CA IPCC:
- Accounting: Accounting Standards; Company Accounts; Financial Statements of Not-for-Profit Organisations; Accounting for Special Transactions, etc.
- Business Laws, Ethics and Communication: The Payment Bonus Act 1965; Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972; Environment and Ethics; The Companies Act, 2013; etc.
- Cost Accounting and Financial Management: Cost Ascertainment; Cost Book-Keeping; Financial Decisions, Types of Financing, etc.
- Taxation: Income Tax; GST Laws; Input Tax Credit; Profit and Gains from Business and Profession, Capital Gains, Advanced Tax and Tax Deduction, etc.
- Advanced Accounting: Advanced Issues in Partnership Accounts & Issues Related to Accounting in Limited Liable Partnerships; Company Accounts; Accounting for Special Transactions, etc.
- Auditing and Assurance: Auditing Concepts, Standards on Auditing and Guidance Notes; Auditing Sampling; the Company Audit I & II; Vouching Control; Preparation for an Audit; Auditing of Assets and Liabilities
- Information Technology and Strategic Management: Business Process Management & IT, Business Information System, Telecommunication and Networks; Information Systems and IT Fundamentals, etc.
Note: The above-mentioned topics are only for indicative purposes. Students are advised to check the official website for the detailed syllabus provided by the ICAI.
Also Read: Tips to Write CA Fresher Resume
CA IPCC Registration
Whether you are looking forward to qualifying the CA IPCC or intermediate examination in May or November 2021, it will be necessary for candidates to register for it a few months prior. There are two ways through which you can register for the course, that is, Foundation way for Direct entry way. Let us take a detailed look at both the ways-
Foundation Way: This way is opted by the candidates who register for the CA foundation exam and enter the IPCC level by qualifying the CA Foundation or CPT test.
Direct Entry Way: The candidates who do not appear for the CA foundation exam and plan to pursue the course by joining at the CA IPCC level opt for the direct entry way.
CA IPCC Application Fee
The application fee for the CA IPCC course differs for the Indian nationals and the foreign students. Tabulated below are the details related to both the fee structures-
For Indian Nationals
|Details of Fees||Both Groups(Rs)||Single Groups(Rs)|
|Student’s Activity Fee||2000||2000|
|Registration Fee as article assistant||1000||–|
|Group I||$500||INR 36,000|
|Group II||$350||INR 25,000|
Hence, we hope that this blog has answered your queries regarding CA IPCC and its varied essentials. If you are planning to study a degree in Accounting and don’t know where to begin, sign up for a 30-minute free career counselling with our Leverage Edu experts and let us guide you in selecting the right program and institution as well as throughout the admission process to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted.