Respiratory therapy is one of the most popular allied health sciences branches. The field is expected to grow by 19% in 2029 globally compared to any other profession. To become a respiratory therapist, a student must have an undergraduate degree. BSc in respiratory therapy is a 3- year program that trains students to treat respiratory or cardiopulmonary disorders in patients and is a highly rewarding course offered by universities globally. Read this blog to get all the required information about BSc in Respiratory Therapy.
This Blog Includes:
- Introduction to BSc in Respiratory Therapy
- Eligibility Criteria in India
- Eligibility Criteria Abroad
- Top 10 Colleges for BSc Respiratory Therapy in India
- Top 10 Universities for BSc in Respiratory Therapy Abroad
- Course Fee
- Syllabus of BSc in Respiratory Therapy
- Popular Job Profiles and Salary
- Top Employment Areas
Introduction to BSc in Respiratory Therapy
BSc in Respiratory Therapy is a 3-year bachelor’s degree course that you can pursue from any recognized medical college. The last semester is a mandatory six months or one-year internship. The course mainly covers cardiovascular respiratory systems and diseases, their treatment, and respiratory care. Respiratory therapists are specialists in areas such as pulmonology, cardiology, and sleep therapy. Students with BSc have vast scope in terms of both studies and employment opportunities.
Also Read: BSc Nutrition and Dietetics- Importance, Course Details & Careers
Eligibility Criteria in India
Whether you are planning to apply to Indian universities or top-ranked universities abroad, every student has to fulfil the eligibility criteria set by the university.
- Class 12th passing certificate with the science stream from a recognized board.
- Students must have secured 60% minimum aggregate marks or higher in PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) subjects or equivalent.
- Many colleges ask students to appear for entrance exams.
Popular Entrance Exams
Apart from admission based on a merit basis, many colleges conduct entrance examinations for admission:
Eligibility Criteria Abroad
The eligibility of international universities differs from Indian universities. Here is the eligibility for BSc in respiratory therapy abroad:
- GPA of 3.0 or above is required by universities offering BSc in respiratory therapy abroad;
- Students must have English, Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics as subjects in class 12th;
- Students have to submit English proficiency scores. Here are the popular English proficiency exams with their minimum scores required for admission:
Also Read: BSc Biology
Top 10 Colleges for BSc Respiratory Therapy in India
Do you know AIIMS Delhi is ranked among the top 100 medical schools in the world? Here are the top 10 colleges for BSc respiratory therapy in India:
- AIMS, Kochi
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences – AIIMS Rishikesh
- SIHS, Pune
- NRI Academy of Sciences, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Manipal School of Allied Health Science, Manipal
- JSS University, Mysore
- KMCH Institute of Allied Health Science, Coimbatore
- Dr M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai
- AJ Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Karnataka
Also Read: Career in Hospital Management
Top 10 Universities for BSc in Respiratory Therapy Abroad
There is a common misconception attached to studying medical courses abroad is that the course fee is too high. This is just a myth because many universities offer medical courses at affordable fees. Students can also apply for various scholarships offered by the government and universities abroad.
|Name of University||Location|
|LIU Brooklyn University||New York|
|Thompson Rivers University||Canada|
|University of Winnipeg||Canada|
|University of Manitoba||Canada|
|Seattle Central College||Washington|
|Southern Alberta Institute of Technology||Canada|
Also Read: BSc Psychology
The course fees are different for every university depending upon the university, its faculty, and its facilities, the fees for this course might vary significantly. On average, you can pursue BSc Respiratory Therapy in India with a per annum fee of INR 50,000 to 8 lakhs. If you are looking to pursue Bsc in Respiratory Therapy from top university around the world, the tuition fees will be around INR 10 lakhs to 15 lakhs per annum. For more details about the course fee of your dream university, get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts.
Syllabus of BSc in Respiratory Therapy
The entire course program is divided into six semesters with the major emphasis on understanding, analyzing, and undertaking the care of patients with respiratory diseases.
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Respiratory Care Technology
- Applied Pathology
- Applied Microbiology
- Computer Application/Programming
- Environmental Science
- Respiratory and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Applied Pharmacology
- Biostatistics and Research Methodology
- Diagnostic Techniques in Cardiorespiratory Diseases
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Patient Assessment and Monitoring
- Respiratory Care
- Medical Psychology
- Respiratory Care
- Respiratory Care-Advanced
- Recent Advances & Basic Intensive Care
- Hospital Management
Also Read: BSc Nursing
Popular Job Profiles and Salary
After pursuing a BSc in respiratory therapy, you can either opt for MSc in respiratory therapy or PG Diploma in the related field. There are various job profiles you can explore such as:
- Respiratory Therapists: Help patients with cardiopulmonary problems. They evaluate, perform diagnoses on patients, assess the patient’s breathing, suggest exercises, and monitor the patient’s progress.
- Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT): Provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders including sleep testing, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, comprehensive patient care, and direct patient education.
- Pulmonary Function Technician: Conduct tests on patients to help physicians with the technical aspects of diagnosing and treating lung disease.
- Consultant Pulmonologist: Specialized in the respiratory system and treat respiratory diseases
- Health Care Manager: Responsible for various operational duties in the hospital like training and recruitment of new hospital staff, maintenance of budgets, making work schedules for healthcare providers, etc.
- Product Trainer/ Specialist: Create informational training materials and give presentations about the products offered by a company.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Specialist: Take care of patients diagnosed with asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, angina, coronary artery disease, and other conditions.
The salary of various job profiles may vary throughout the industry, but on an average we have shared some examples below,
|Neonatal Respiratory Care Technologist||INR 6.3 lakh|
|Adult Critical Care Specialist||INR 3 lakh|
|Clinical Application Therapist||INR 3.5 lakh|
Depending upon the skills, prior experience, and other subjective factors salary after BSc Respiratory Therapy might vary.
Also Read: BSc Radiology
Top Employment Areas
BSc in respiratory therapy graduates are not just restricted to hospitals and work in the academic field as well or open their own medical clinic.
- Nursing homes
- Emergency Departments
- Government and Private Hospitals
- Academic Institutes
Some of the top recruiters of this field are mentioned below.
- Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Rainbow Hospitals
- Medanta Health City
- Max Hospitals
- Aster Hospitals
Respiratory Therapists are medical professionals that are not technically a certified doctor.
Yes, BSc Respiratory Therapy has a lot to offer to students.
AIMS, Kochi is one of the top colleges for BSc Respiratory Therapy in India.
Want to know the highest-paying courses in the allied sciences to study abroad? Call our Leverage Edu expert on 1800 572 000 and get a 30-minute FREE counselling session today!