If you are interested in the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments, the exploration of both the physical properties of Earth’s surface and the human societies spread across it, then BA in Geography is the right deal for you. This blog brings you all the information about BA Geography, its syllabus, subjects, eligibility, careers, scope as well as colleges in India and abroad.
This Blog Includes:
What is BA Geography?
BA Geography is a 3-years undergraduate course which is completed in 6 semesters. It deals with topics like earth and its different phenomena, features and inhabitants. It also includes the deep study of climate and soil, along with the various vegetation and plantations on the planet.
Subjects that are taught include:
- Maps Projection
- Economic Geography
- Human Geography
- Physical Geography
Eligibility to Get into BA Geography
As every college has their different eligibility criteria, some of the basic requirements are as follows:
- The student must complete his 10+2 examination from a recognized board and score a minimum of 50% marks.
- The student must have studied all the important subjects of Humanities in his/her 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- The candidate has to pass in the entrance test as well as the personal interview in order to be enrolled for the admission process.
Entrance exams to get into BA Geography
Students can get into colleges using their class 12th marks in universities like Delhi University, etc., but there are many entrance tests as well to get into prestigious colleges around the country. Some of them are as follows:
JNUEE: JNU admits students for the undergraduate program on the basis of the marks scored by them in the entrance test.
BHU UET: Conducted by Banaras Hindu University, BHU UET is conducted on a yearly basis.
NIMCET: through the online form, the student can enroll himself for the entrance exam conducted by NIMS University.
CUCET: this is a test that helps to get admission to the central universities of India.
CUET: this entrance test is conducted by Christ University, Bangalore for admission in the college.
For BA Geography, the fee of the course can be between INR 5,000 to INR 1.2 Lakhs. This course is available in both government and private institutes. After completing the course, students can also go for higher education. Some of the students prefer to do a masters in geography before they can get another job.
The syllabus for the BA Geography course is divided into 6 semesters for studying in India. The topics which are usually covered in the three- year degree are:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Maps and scales||Representation of physical features|
|Geography of India||Physical geography I|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Representation of climate data||Maps projection|
|Physical geography II||Human geography|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Distribution maps and diagrams||Remote sensing /field survey report|
|Economic geography||Introduction to remote sensing, hours GIS and quantitative methods|
Top BA Geography Colleges in India
Here are the top BA Geography Colleges in India that you study in:
- Miranda House, Delhi University
- Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi University
- Patna Women’s College, Patna
- Shivaji College, Delhi University
- Venkateshwara Open University
- Sitalkuchi College, Cooch Behar
- Belda College, Midnapore
Top BA Geography Colleges in the World
There are many colleges abroad that offer a bachelor’s in geography. Some of the colleges are as follows:
- University of Waterloo, Canada
- University of Toronto, Canada
- The University of British Columbia, Canada
- University of Oxford, UK
- Stanford University, US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- The University of Melbourne, Australia
- King’s College London, UK
- McGill University, Canada
- Queen’s University, Canada
Applications for BA Geography
To apply for an undergraduate program for BA geography, you need to have graduated from high school.
- The school’s application form needs to be filled with the personal details needed for applying.
- A transcript from high school is required.
- A copy of your passport is a must so that the school can issue a visa letter.
- In the U.S. the TOEFL test is important, while English and Australian universities prefer an IELTS exam.
- Standardized tests like SAT if required.
- A financial statement that shows that you can pay for your studies and living expenses.
- A letter of recommendation is required for the application process.
The candidate can apply to different colleges and universities through their website.
Jobs after BA Geography
After the 3-years course, students can apply for jobs in both private and government fields. Over the past few years, the career opportunities for the BA Geography students have been better than before. There are various areas where students from BA geography are recruited. The students take up jobs in various areas such as Cartographer, Demographer, etc. Some other jobs available are:
- MAP Consultant
- Geography Teacher
- Technical Labs Researcher
- Content Developer – Geographically based studies
- Subject Matter Expert – Geography
- Urban Planner
- New reporting
- Geography for UPSC Preparation
- What are the Branches of Geography?
- Scope of Geography After 12th
- MA Geography
- MSc Geography
If you are interested in the field then it can yield great results for you. BA Geography is certainly being better and slowly, it is helping to shape a new career path for the students. Thus, if you are interested, this field can be great for you! For more such awesome content, follow Leverage Edu on LinkedIn, Quora, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. Let us know what you think about BA Geography in the comments down below. All the best for your future endeavors!