If you are interested in the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments, the exploration of both the physical properties of Earth’s surface and the human societies spread across it, then BA in Geography is the right deal for you. This blog brings you all the information about BA Geography, its syllabus, subjects, eligibility, careers, scope as well as colleges in India and abroad.
|Passed 10+2 in Any Stream
|Direct Admission or on the basis of marks acquired in the Entrance Test.
|INR 3,000 to INR 1,50,000.
|INR 1.2 LPA – INR 10 LPA
|Cartographer, Demographer, Land-Use Analyst, Coastal Zone Manager, Landscape Manager, etc.
|Top Recruiting Areas
|Government offices, private sectors, NGOs, educational institutes, etc.
This Blog Includes:
- What is BA Geography?
- What is BA Geography Hons?
- Why to Study Geography?
- Eligibility to Get into BA Geography
- Fee Structure
- Applications for BA Geography
- Top BA Geography Colleges in the World
- Top BA Geography Colleges in India
- Admission Process
- Jobs after BA Geography
- Difference between BA Geography Vs BSc Geography
What is BA Geography?
BA Geography is a 3-years undergraduate course which is completed in 6 semesters. It deals with topics like earth and its different phenomena, features and inhabitants. It also includes the deep study of climate and soil, along with the various vegetation and plantations on the planet.
Subjects that are taught include:
- Maps Projection
- Economic Geography
- Human Geography
- Physical Geography
What is BA Geography Hons?
Candidates for the BA Hons Geography programme study the planet’s surface and related topics. Planning, mapping, or environmental preservation are all outcomes of this field. Geographic Information System (GIS) and environmental geography are two key topics in this course.
The following are a few of the key ideas covered in this course:
- GIS and mapping
- Physical geography
- Human geography
Why to Study Geography?
BA Geography is one that will unquestionably assist you in developing a successful career. The following are a few key arguments for selecting the BA Geography course:
- The BA Geography programme will provide you a thorough grasp of the many geographic characteristics of the world. You will also learn how to hone your analytical abilities and employ them in producing insightful reports.
- The students may find employment in businesses involved in agriculture or business. They could want to pursue a profession in archaeology. The applicants may also work in a variety of public and commercial industries as demographers.
- Students enrolled in the BA in Geography may also sit for civil service exams. They also have access to tourism, social services, transit planning, and other things.
- The students may decide to pursue a career in education. Additionally, they have the option of going into research or continuing their education. Geography is a very cutting-edge field of study for academic inquiry.
- Students who successfully complete the programme may expect to make a minimum income of INR 1.2 LPA and a maximum of INR 10 LPA. The applicant’s knowledge and practical abilities will have a big impact on the pay scale.
Eligibility to Get into BA Geography
As every college has their different eligibility criteria, some of the basic requirements are as follows:
- The student must complete his 10+2 examination from a recognized board and score a minimum of 50% marks.
- The student must have studied all the important subjects of Humanities in his/her 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- The candidate has to pass in the entrance test as well as the personal interview in order to be enrolled for the admission process.
Entrance exams to get into BA Geography
Students can get into colleges using their class 12th marks in universities like Delhi University, etc., but there are many entrance tests as well to get into prestigious colleges around the country. Some of them are as follows:
- JNUEE: JNU admits students for the undergraduate program on the basis of the marks scored by them in the entrance test.
- BHU UET: Conducted by Banaras Hindu University, BHU UET is conducted on a yearly basis.
- NIMCET: through the online form, the student can enroll himself for the entrance exam conducted by NIMS University.
- CUCET: this is a test that helps to get admission to the central universities of India.
- CUET: this entrance test is conducted by Christ University, Bangalore for admission in the college.
For BA Geography, the fee of the course can be between INR 5,000 to INR 1.2 Lakhs. This course is available in both government and private institutes. After completing the course, students can also go for higher education. Some of the students prefer to do a masters in geography before they can get another job.
The syllabus for the BA Geography course is divided into 6 semesters for studying in India. The topics which are usually covered in the three- year degree are:
|Maps and scales
|Representation of physical features
|Geography of India
|Physical geography I
|Representation of climate data
|Physical geography II
|Distribution maps and diagrams
|Remote sensing /field survey report
|Introduction to remote sensing, hours GIS and quantitative methods
Applications for BA Geography
To apply for an undergraduate program for BA geography, you need to have graduated from high school.
- The school’s application form needs to be filled with the personal details needed for applying.
- A transcript from high school is required.
- A copy of your passport is a must so that the school can issue a visa letter.
- In the U.S. the TOEFL test is important, while English and Australian universities prefer an IELTS exam.
- Standardized tests like SAT if required.
- A financial statement that shows that you can pay for your studies and living expenses.
- A letter of recommendation is required for the application process.
The candidate can apply to different colleges and universities through their website.
Top BA Geography Colleges in the World
There are many colleges abroad that offer a bachelor’s in geography. Some of the colleges are as follows:
- University of Waterloo, Canada
- University of Toronto, Canada
- The University of British Columbia, Canada
- University of Oxford, UK
- Stanford University, US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- The University of Melbourne, Australia
- King’s College London, UK
- McGill University, Canada
- Queen’s University, Canada
Top BA Geography Colleges in India
Here are the top BA Geography Colleges in India that you study in:
- Miranda House, Delhi University
- Indraprastha College for Women, Delhi University
- Patna Women’s College, Patna
- Shivaji College, Delhi University
- Venkateshwara Open University
- Sitalkuchi College, Cooch Behar
- Belda College, Midnapore
One of the most important things to remember is this. On the whole, your eligibility will be significantly impacted by the admissions procedure. If you intend to enrol in such programmes at reputable universities throughout the world, you must pay special attention to the admissions procedure.
Also Read: MBBS from Abroad
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a degree will also depend on the college you’re choosing. Here are some important things you need to know:
- The candidates should have the required education
- The candidates should clear the cut-off marks if any mentioned
If you choose to pursue education in geography, this is yet another crucial factor that you need to be aware of. The application procedure could be overwhelming depending on the university. The experts at Leverage Edu will assist you in this. It’s crucial to submit your application completely and accurately. Important topics to think about are as follows:
- Call us and we will help you shortlist your universities. But you need to submit your application to multiple universities to broaden your chances of getting selected.
- Compile all essential documents. Try not to make mistakes while submitting the documents.
- Submit the application before the deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Accept the offer letter
- Don’t forget to get your visa approved.
The essential documents that you need to submit while planning to pursue your higher education in geriatrics are:
- Class 12th and 12th mark sheet
- Transfer certificate
- Proof of DOB
- Character certificate
- Migration certificate
- Bank statement
Jobs after BA Geography
After the 3-years course, students can apply for jobs in both private and government fields. Over the past few years, the career opportunities for the BA Geography students have been better than before. There are various areas where students from BA geography are recruited. The students take up jobs in various areas such as Cartographer, Demographer, etc. Some other jobs available are:
- MAP Consultant
- Geography Teacher
- Technical Labs Researcher
- Content Developer – Geographically based studies
- Subject Matter Expert – Geography
- Urban Planner
- New reporting
Difference between BA Geography Vs BSc Geography
|Human Geography: Developments, Population, Political, Economic and Social Aspects.
|Physical Geography: Rivers, Rocks, Coasts, Glaciations, Mountains, Core and much more.
|Humanities and Social Science
|Physical and Natural Sciences
|Students can pass from any stream from a recognised board and should have secured a minimum of 45%.
|Students should have done their PCB or PCM in Science stream from a recognised university and should have secured a minimum of 55%.
|Admission through Merit or Entrance Exam
|Admission through Entrance Exam.
|Journalism, Geographer, Demographer, Travel and Tourism, Rural Development, NGO, Tourism Industry.
|National Parks, Cartography Centres, Environmental Agencies, Urban Planning Agencies, Teacher, Professor, Research Analyst, Environmentalist.
- Geography for UPSC Preparation
- What are the Branches of Geography?
- Scope of Geography After 12th
- MA Geography
- MSc Geography
You are qualified to pursue both a BA and a BS in geography.
Jawaharlal Nehru University, St. Xavier’s College in Kolkata, and Loreto College in Kolkata are a few well-known MA Geography colleges.
Your BSc in Geography programme lasts three years to complete.
If you are interested in the field then it can yield great results for you. BA Geography is certainly being better and slowly, it is helping to shape a new career path for the students. Thus, if you are interested, this field can be great for you! For more such awesome content, follow Leverage Edu on LinkedIn, Quora, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. Let us know what you think about BA Geography in the comments down below. All the best for your future endeavors!