Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering is an incredibly competitive field, but highly rewarding as well. If you are among the candidates who wish and aim to pursue Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering but confused about which college to choose or go for, then the list of top colleges for bachelors in Mechanical Engineering will help you out to find out your university of choice.
This Blog Includes:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The MIT undergraduate programs at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology combine a broad background in engineering with a strong background in quantitative techniques, problem-solving, design and communication. By emphasizing both analytical and creative methods, MechE degree programs give students the broad skill set they need to pursue their goals – whether that’s working as an engineer, founding a company, continuing on to graduate study and research, or going to a professional school to study medicine, business, or the law. MIT offers its students three unique mechanical engineering UG degree options:
- Course 2– Bachelor Of Science In Mechanical Engineering- is a traditional one which equips students for amazing careers in mechanical engineering.
- Course 2A– Bachelor Of Science In Engineering- which allows students to combine their focus on mechanical engineering with another complementary focus like energy or robotics.
- Course 2-OE program– Bachelor Of Science In Mechanical And Ocean Engineering- is a structured program for students who wish to combine a firm foundation in mechanical engineering with a specialization in ocean engineering.
The mission of the undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering by Stanford University is to provide students with a balance of intellectual and practical experiences that enable them to address a variety of societal needs, from higher performance drivers and new forms of mobility to increased access to health and medical services in developing countries. The program includes components from a wide range of disciplines built around the themes of computer engineering, design, energy, materials, mechanics and dynamic systems, constantly taking into account these topics in their wider societal and professional context. The Mechanical Engineering program at Stanford offers three different degrees with unique specializations in mechanical engineering. Students can choose among the following:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Product Design
- Biomechanical Engineering
All three degrees equip students with a strong, balanced foundation in communication, lab work, quantitative principles and project-based design.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge highly feels that engineering is much more about designing processes and making products to solve real-world problems. Hence, their course enables young and innovative minds to develop their engineering knowledge, skills, imagination and experience to the highest levels in readiness for their respective future career. The Engineering courses at Cambridge normally last four years and lead to the degrees BA (with Honours) and MEng. Cambridge has no BSc or BEng degrees; all undergraduates in whatever subject take the BA degree program only. From the third year, you have the option to specialise in a number of other Engineering areas namely:
- Mechanical engineering
- Energy, sustainability and the environment
- Aerospace and aerothermal engineering
- Civil, structural and environmental engineering
- Electrical and electronic engineering
- Information and computer engineering
- Electrical and information sciences
- Instrumentation and control
According to Harvard University, Mechanical Engineering is that domain of engineering which uses the principles of physics and materials science for the analysis and design of mechanical and thermal systems. It covers a good range of study area, including mechatronics and robotics, structural analysis, thermodynamics and technical design, including analysis of mechanical systems using finite element methods, Science of new materials and devices for Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS), and applications in biology and nanotechnology. Students can choose among the following:
- AB Engineering Sciences (Mechanical and Materials Science and Engineering Track)
- SB Mechanical Engineering
Delft University of Technology
The BSc Mechanical Engineering from the Delft University of Technology will enable you to participate in the design, manufacture and improvement of
All of which makes our lives easier, safer and more durable. You will use your mathematical and physical knowledge to look at the world from an analytic point of view.
University of California Berkeley
The Mechanical Engineering Program at University of California Berkeley fully reflects the diversity of modern continuum mechanics. The Undergraduate Program in Mechanical Engineering (BS) aims to provide students with a comprehensive education highlighting an excellent foundation in scientific and technical foundations. The objectives of the undergraduate program are to prepare undergraduate students for employment or graduate studies in four major groups:
- national laboratories
- federal and state organizations
University of Michigan
Students who are studying an undergraduate degree program, i.e. , BSE in Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Michigan pursue a diverse range of knowledge through courses outside the engineering area. The core courses in mechanical engineering comprise five main areas:
- Design and Manufacturing
- Mechanics and Materials
- Dynamics and Controls
- Thermal Sciences, and Laboratories
- Technical Communication
In total, there are 45 credits of required ME Core courses; and together these subjects represent the fundamental technical competencies every mechanical engineering student must learn.
Nanyang Technological University
Over the years, mechanical engineering has shifted from producing basic functional products to cutting-edge, smaller, smarter and greener technological products. The Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering undergraduate program at Nanyang Technological University is perhaps leading in terms of innovation and defining new trends for improving diverse mechanical engineering methodologies and processes. The specialisation of mechanical engineering with the BSc UG program reflects the diverse nature of the discipline and reflects MAE’s (Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering) overall approach to teaching and research in mechanical engineering.
A strong technological base and broad horizon provide the basis for the work of mechanical engineers at the interfaces where electronics, computers, mechanics, thermodynamics and chemistry meet and where products, systems and processes are expanded, calculated and planned. The Bachelor’s degree program at ETH Zurich is for 3 years (180 credits).
- During the first three semesters, basic theoretical knowledge in mechanical engineering is acquired in mandatory subjects.
- From the fourth semester, students follow elective courses in their main areas of interest.
- During the 5th semester, they choose an area of interest or a priority project.
- A Bachelor’s thesis should be written in the 6th semester.
- A five-week internship in an industrial company is yet another element of the Bachelor’s program.
Georgia Institute of Technology
At the Georgia Institute of Technology, the Mechanical Engineering (ME) undergraduate program is very broad and flexible. The curriculum comprises
- A unique blend of the core fundamental concepts
- A design/professional-practice stem
- 15 credit hours of free electives.
- The program prepares students to solve problems and contribute to a wide range of industries and businesses or pursue higher education. A large number of free elective hours allows students to pursue minors and certificates throughout the Institute, or to specialize in areas within ME.
- Flexibility also helps students pursue a variety of special programs, including co-operative programs, internships, overseas studies and undergraduate research.
|Universities||QS Ranking 2020 For Mechanical Engineering||Location||Duration||Tuition cost per semester (Approx.)|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1||US||4 Years||$25 760|
|Stanford University||2||US||4 Years||$35 238|
|University of Cambridge||3||UK||4 Years||$18293|
|Harvard University||4||US||4 Years||$23 865|
|Delft University of Technology||5||Netherlands||3 Years||$9,050|
|University of California Berkeley||6||US||4 Years||$14,188|
|University of Michigan||10||US||4 Years||$17,500|
|Nanyang Technological University||11||Singapore||4 Years||S$17,550|
|ETH Zurich||12||Switzerland||180 Credits||$835|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||13||US||4 Years||$24,686|
All being said, students aiming for bachelors in mechanical engineering will be future trained for professional practice in a rapidly evolving age of interdisciplinary technology. We hope that our blog on Top Colleges for Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering has helped you in finding your perfect college to pursue Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. If you have any doubts related to career or study abroad, our team of Leverage Edu experts are just a call away, at your service. So book your free session today!