Living abroad can be financially draining, so it is important for students to manage their expenses and save wherever they can. As a student enrolled in a university, college or course in the United Kingdom, we are entitled to a variety of student discounts and benefits. In this blog, we are going to cover the discounts that international students can avail themselves of in areas like travel, food, entertainment and clothes in the UK!
This Blog Includes:
Student Discount Cards in UK
The smart move is to get student discount cards that give access to different types of discounts at very low or no cost to you. Here’s a list of student discount cards you must have:
- ISIC (International Student Identity Card)
International Student Identity Card or ISIC is an internationally recognised proof of your student status and is applicable to 130 different countries. Students enrolled at school, college or university from the age of 12 and over can purchase the card for just £12 (INR 1218) a year. ISIC allows international students to access 40,000+ discounts on expenses such as travel, entertainment and shopping in the UK.
- NUS Extra
You can apply for an NUS extra card for one, two or three years according to your preference with prices starting from £12 (INR 1218) a year. The best student discounts in UK are worth up to £500 (INR 50755) a year to students in the UK on food, entertainment, etc. Now you get a free ISIC with the NUS extra card giving you access to additional discounts and benefits.
You can register to UniDAYS for free and easily available best online student discounts in UK if you’re studying in countries Australia & New Zealand, the United States, the UK, Ireland, Germany and Denmark. You get impressive discounts on a lot of fashion brands, electronics, food, beauty products, etc. Just download the UniDAYS app and look for discounts in the UK.
- Student Beans
Like UniDAYS, you can sign-up to the Student Beans website for free to gain access to a wide range of discounts. It is worth signing up to both as they each have slightly different discounts on offer and happily, they’re both completely free.
- TOTUM (UK)
It is supported by the National Union of Students. With TOTUM you can get great deals on eating out, fashion, travel, fitness and more. The prices of TOTUM Pro is £12 (INR 1218) for one year, £22 (INR 2233) for two or £32 (INR 3248) for three with which enjoy the complete range of discounts along with a 12-month International Student Identity Card (ISIC) as part of your membership. Or, you can get a TOTUM Lite card completely free. Also, you can include proof of age on your TOTUM card, meaning you can keep your important documents, such as your passport and driver’s licence, safely at home when on nights out.
Also Read: Universities in UK
Student Discounts for Travelling in UK
Here we have mentioned all the best student discounts in UK for travelling available for international students which can reduce their travelling expenses during their stay in UK.
- 16-25 Railcard – 1/3 off rail fares discount. Use your TOTUM card to get 12 percent off a one-year railcard. If you’re planning on travelling around London, you can add your railcard to your Oyster card and enjoy a 34 percent discount on off-peak, pay as you go travel, as well as daily caps.
- 18+ Student Oyster photocard – 30 percent off adult-rate travel cards for use on all Transport for London services (i.e. underground, overground, buses and trams). Only available to students living at a London address during term time and enrolled at participating universities in London.
- Cross Country – Depending on which train company you travel with, keep an eye out for further discounts. Cross Country offers an extra 10 percent off for students on selected advance tickets.
- easyStorage – a £25 (INR 2537) off discount.
- Expedia – a 10% discount on selected hotel bookings, with a UniDAYS account.
- Groupon – a 15% discount with a free UniDAYS account.
- Hertz Car Hire – up to 20% discount.
- Hotels.com – 10% discount with a free UniDAYS account.
- InterRail Europe – up to 25% off discount.
- Megabus – 10 percent off all coach travel with Megabus (with an NUS Extra card).
- National Express Young Persons Coachcard – 1/3 off full-price National Express coach tickets (cost of card is £10 (INR 1015) per year) for 16-26 year olds. Or, use your TOTUM card for a 25 percent student discount.
- STA Travel – Student deals and offers for round-the-world travel.
- Student Universe – Student discounts on flights, hotels, hostels and tours.
- TransPennine Express – They offer an amazing 50 percent off advanced fares when you have a 16-25 Railcard and book through their website.
Also Read: Masters (MS) in UK
Due to increasing dependence on technology for educational purposes, there are many student discounts available for technical equipment. Here is a list of a few.
- Acer – 15% discount with a free Student Beans account
- Adobe Creative Cloud – 65 percent off Adobe creative cloud services.
- Apple for education – Receive up to 10 percent student discount on laptops and Mac computers and up to 5 percent on iPads with education pricing.
- Canon – 10% off with a UniDAYS account
- Dell – up to 20% discount, all you need is a university email address.
- HP – Make some serious savings with up to 50 percent off through
- UniDAYS when you shop online.
- Microsoft Office – Get the whole Office suite for free. Use your academic email on
- the Office website to gain access to the software, which you can download on up
- to five PCs or Macs. You also get 1TB of free online storage with OneDrive.
- Norton Security – Save up $65 (approximately INR 4669) on Norton internet security and
- antivirus systems.
- One Plus – up to 30% discount with a valid Student Beans account
- Samsung – offer students a student pricing discount with a UniDAYS account
- Software4Students – Featuring student deals and discounts for Microsoft, Adobe and anti-virus software
Best Student Discounts for Mobile in UK
- 3 Mobile – offers students a 50% discount. Students currently get 6 months half price on unlimited data tariffs and a free gift at 3 Mobile.
- O2 – 20 percent off your Airtime Plan, when you sign up to O2 Refresh.
- Vodafone – 10 percent off selected price plans.
- VOXI – offer students a one month free discount. Students can get their promotional code with a free UniDAYS account, or from a promotional pack or UCAS.
Also Read: Unusual Degrees in the UK
Students in the UK have access to multiple cuisines and almost every company has separate discount offers for students as they cover a huge part of their daily customers. We have jotted down best students discount in UK for food.
- ASK Italian – An NUS Extra card as well as TOTUM card will give you 40 percent off your total food bill all day Monday and Tuesday, and 25 percent off your total food bill every Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
- Domino’s Pizza – 35 percent off online on purchases of £25+.
- Giraffe – 20 percent off your food bill all day Monday to Friday and Sundays from 6pm. (with an NUS Extra card).
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen – 25 percent for students with the GBK app.
- Krispy Kreme – 20 percent off with an NUS Extra card.
- Las Iguanas – Dig into a Latin American feast, including drinks, with a 25 percent discount from Sunday to Thursday.
- McDonalds – Free burger, mayo chicken or McFlurry for students with the purchase of any extra value or wrap meal. Valid until 31 August 2018.
- PAUL – 20% discount with your TOTUM card in-store at your local PAUL bakery.
- Pizza Express – A very generous 30 percent off food and drink from Sunday-Thursday. TOTUM cards, Student Beans and UniDAYS memberships are all accepted
- The Cooperative – Use your TOTUM card to enjoy 10 percent off your groceries.
- Yo! Sushi – Exclusively through UniDAYS, students get 25 percent off dine-in food purchases from Tuesday to Friday and on Sundays.
Also Read: Creative Writing Courses in UK
Over 100 clothing brands offer discounts to international students in the UK. Here is a list of a few of those brands:
- Accessorize – 20% Off discount with a UniDAYSaccount.
- Adidas – 35% off discount using your UniDAYS account. You’ll get 35% off when you shop via the adidas app and use your student discount code, or 30% off when you shop through the website. You can also save on top of sale prices (usually an extra 20% off).
- Amazon – free trial discount.The free 6-month trial includes free next day delivery and Prime Video, plus many other benefits. Once this ends, students can enjoy 50% off Prime subscription fees, which works out at just £3.99 (INR 405) per month.
- Asics – 20% discount via UniDAYS.
- ASOS – 10 percent discount all year round, with occasional 25 percent offers. Claim with your UniDAYS code.
- Boohoo – 10 percent off all year round.
- Burton – 10 percent off all year round.
- Converse – 15% discount with a free UniDAYS account.
- Dune – 10% discount with a UniDAYS account.
- Foot Locker – 10% discount.You can get your discount code with a free UniDAYS account.
- French Connection – 10 percent off online and in store.
- Levi’s – 20% discount with a free UniDAYS account.
- Michael Kors – offers students a 10% off discount.
- New Look – Year-round 10 percent discount using a UniDAYS code.
- Nike Store– offers students a 10% discount. Get your student discount code through your UniDAYS account. Keep an eye out for extra discounts from time to time, as occasionally Nike boosts its student discount offer to 25% off.
- Office (footwear) – 10 percent off in store and online.
- Pull & Bear – 10% discount.
- Puma – offers students a 15% discount.
- Reebok – 30% discount. You’ll get 35% off when you shop via the Reebok app and use your student discount code, or 30% off when you shop through the website. You can also save on top of sale prices (usually an extra 20% to 25% off).
- River Island – Get a year-round 10 percent discount through Student Beans.
- Schuh – 10 percent off in store and online.
- The North Face – offers students a 10% discount.
- Tommy Hilfiger – offer students a 10% off discount.
- Topman/Topshop – Get 10 percent off year-round through Student Beans or UniDAYS.
- Urban Outfitters – 10 percent off all year round.
- VANS – offers students a 10% discount.
Also Read: Germany vs UK
Health and Beauty Discounts
Being a necessity for every age group, there are many health and beauty product companies that offer multiple student discounts. Here are the best students discount in UK for health and beauty.
- Bobbi Brown – a 10% discount through UniDAYS.
- Boots – a 10% discount with a Boots Advantage Card.
- Boots Opticians – Save 25 percent on your first pair of glasses or prescription sunglasses, with every additional pair of glasses or prescription sunglasses half price.
- Charlotte Tilbury – 10% off discount via UniDAYS.
- Clinique – 10% off discount with a UniDAYS account.
- e.l.f. Cosmetics – 15% discount with a valid Student Beans account
- Gillette – a 10% discount with a UniDAYS account.
- MAC Cosmetics – a 10% discount with a UniDAYS account.
- Philips – 15% discount.
- PureGym – up to 30% discount.
- Supercuts – 10 percent off haircuts and services with a student ID.
- Superdrug – Year-round 10 percent discount through UniDAYS.
- The Fragrance Shop – Perfect for gifts, you can get 15 percent off when you shop online.
- Toni & Guy – Get 20 percent off your high-end haircut, valid Mon-Thurs with a TOTUM card.
- Too Faced – a 10% discount with a UniDAYS account.
Books, Magazine and School Supplies Discounts
Most of the publishing companies offer the best discounts on course textbooks and other study materials for students as it is an important part of their student life. Here are some of those best students discount in UK.
- Cass Art – 10 percent off online with a Cobalt Blue Student Card.
- Foyles bookshop – Offers 20 percent off in store and online twice a year.
- Great Magazines – a 15% discount with a UniDAYS account.
- Paperchase – 10 percent off in UK stores and online with UniDAYS, plus 10 percent off photocopying, printing and services in store.
- Ryman Stationery – Your go-to shop for all office supplies and printing, Ryman offers 10 percent off for students in store and online. Simply use your student card or your UniDAYS app. The discount includes photocopying, printing and binding services.
- The Economist – 50% discount. Students get half off an annual digital subscription or a hefty discount against a monthly membership as well discounts on the printed version.
- The Financial Times – 50% Off discount.
- The Times – offer students a 90% discount. Students can get a discounted subscription for £26 per year. Includes unlimited digital access and is billed at £2.17 per month. This is a saving of over 90% on the regular subscription rate of £26 per month.
- Waterstones – Get 10 percent off with UniDAYS.
- WHSmith – a 10% discount with UniDAYS or Student Beans
Also Read: UK Post Study Work Visa
The UK, in general, offer many discounts and special offers in all ranges for students. It is very easy to enjoy student life at cost-effective prices if we have access to these offers. Here are some of best students discount in UK for entertainment purpose.
- Amazon Prime Video – a 6 months free then 50% off discount.
- Apple Music – Student Membership is only £4.99 a month, half the standard price. You will need to get a UniDAYS account so that Apple can verify your status as a student. Our top tip is to try the three-month free trial before signing up for the student membership to really maximise your savings.
- Cineworld – Reduced price tickets for students.
- EE – Students get a generous 20 percent off contract plans, as well as six months free Apple Music and three free months of BT Sport. Claim with your UniDAYS or Student Beans account.
- London Dungeon – a student pricing discount with tickets from £16 and a free drink of your choice via a Student Beans account
- Madame Tussauds – 28% discount with a valid TOTUM card or Student beans account
- Odeon Cinemas – Get an extra 25 percent off student tickets with a TOTUM card from Monday to Thursday. Simply show your card at the box office.
- SEA LIFE Centre – save up to £10 off the standard ticket price with student ID.
- Spotify Premium – Students pay half price for a Premium membership, allowing you to download and listen to your favourite music on the go.
- The British Museum – a £20 discount.
- The Guardian – 80 percent off digital subscriptions to The Guardian and other perks.
- Virgin Experience days – Including everything from skydiving to afternoon tea, students get 20 percent off the whole range of activities.
- YouTube Premium – discounted from £11.99/month to just £6.99/month for students, while YouTube Music Premium is discounted from £9.99/month to £4.99/month. Both services allow students a free 1 month trial.
Also Read: Cheapest Universities in UK 2022
This was a brief list of the discounts available to students. Remember to carry your student ID whenever you are going anywhere and don’t forget to ask whether discounts are available for students before buying anything or any service. For more study abroad services, call Leverage Edu at 1800 572 000 and get a free consultancy session by our experts.