If you want to study abroad in a country that has vibrant city life and scenic view then studying in Ireland is the best option for you. Irish colleges are no less than other top universities around the globe. From short-term certificate courses to doctoral programs, they provide all kinds of degrees in multiple specializations. Some of the educational reforms of the country is a 1-year post-study visa on completion of bachelor’s, 2-years work visa on a master’s degree, a 1-year unique master’s program, etc. Universities in Ireland can uplift your career in multitudinous ways, have a look at the best ones.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Ireland?
- Intakes for Public University in Ireland
- Top Universities in Ireland
- Top Courses Offered by Universities in Ireland
- Public Universities in Ireland
- Popular Courses Offered by Public Universities in Ireland
- Affordable Universities in Ireland
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying in Ireland
- Is Ireland Good For International Students?
- Is Ireland Affordable For International Students?
- How easy is it to Study Abroad in Ireland?
Why Study in Ireland?
There are numerous reasons to study at public universities in Ireland. Ireland is known to be a safe and friendly country. It has been ranked 8th in the 2021 Global Peace Index. Their hospitable nature, together with an unrivalled sense of fun, guarantees an unforgettable experience.
- English Speaking Country: Ireland is an English-speaking country. Therefore, a student well versed in the English language will not face any issues in getting assimilated into this country.
- Quality Education: Public universities in Ireland are recognized widely for excellent academic qualifications. A wide range of courses is offered to students from every field of studies. These include highly respected business schools, centres of scientific and technology excellence as well as renowned language, humanities and arts faculties.
- Affordability: Moreover, the government of Ireland has invested immensely in building staggering standards in Higher Education. This is visible in the academic infrastructure boasted by the country’s Public Universities. Besides that, the government of Ireland has established undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships of 1,500,000 Euros for Indian students. Each year the ‘Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships 2021’ project awards up to 60 scholarships for a year of Bachelor or Masters level education to the eligible international candidates.
- Work Permits: With the current currency rate, studying abroad can potentially burn a hole in the students’ pockets. Keeping that in mind, European countries like Ireland offer work permits to international students, also known as green cards. Moreover, many universities offer internships to international students to help them gain hands-on experience in their respective fields. The Irish government also grants loans and scholarships to financially support international students.
- Global Business Leaders: Ireland hosts numerous leading global companies, including Google, Facebook, Pfizer, Apple, to name a few. Students have the opportunity to take advantage of such a vibrant business environment and score awesome internships and training while studying abroad.
Intakes for Public University in Ireland
Irish universities have two major cycles of intake:
Top Universities in Ireland
University College Dublin
Located in the Irish capital, the University College of Dublin belongs to the Catholic University of Ireland which was founded in the year 1854. The university has secured a position in various esteemed global ranking platforms across the world. There are 34 Schools, 5 Colleges and 18 research institutions offering a variety of graduate, postgraduate and diploma courses. Approx to 34,000 students become a part of the university, every year. With its diverse range of courses, it seems to be a great option for international students.
Trinity College Dublin
Rooted in 1592, Trinity College of Dublin is regarded as one of the oldest Universities in Ireland as it was founded in 1592. On average 17, 000 students take admission in the college yearly. The college has Ireland’s second-largest library to help learners clear doubts anytime. The university was ranked 108 by the QS World University ranking 2020. Different courses are provided to students ranging from certificate to doctorate level. A healthy and liberal environment is maintained and enjoyed at the campus.
National University of Ireland
The university was founded in the year 1845 with the name of Queen’s College Galway. NUI aims to serve the interests of the enrolled candidates by offering them a huge variety of courses. To attract a diverse range of students from every possible background, the university has a list of scholarships to offer. The university has been awarded a lot many prizes and titles in the past few years. While talking about top universities in Ireland, one considers NUI as a popular choice.
University College Cork
The world-renowned University College Cork was established in the year 1845. The university provides a full range of career-oriented programs to students across the globe. The institution was originally named Queen’s College. Like the other top universities in Ireland, University College of Cork has its basket full of courses offering a large set of bachelor, master and doctorate level courses. Yearly around 20,000 students enrol with the university.
Also Read: Know All About MBA in Ireland
University of Limerick
Situated by the peaceful river Shannon, the University of Limerick is one of globally recognized for its prestigious course works and programs. The university has been allotted a 5-star rating for graduate employability, teaching, engagement, innovation and knowledge transfer by the QS Stars. UL is an esteemed enterprising university with around 12,000 students enrolled in around 70-degree courses.
Marking its place in one of the top universities in Ireland, Maynooth University can be recognized as the nation’s fastest-growing educational institute. It was founded in the year 1997 and since then it has been delivering the best to students. The university offers an array of undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs. It can be considered as a modern institution rapidly spreading its roots in the country with every passing year.
Dublin Institute of Technology
This institution is Ireland’s first technical university which is globally recognized and has a set of diverse courses to offer to international students. Because being the first of its kind the institute has always been a hotspot for students willing to pursue a degree in Engineering and other related fields. DIT is a leading choice among other colleges in Ireland for Science & Tech courses.
Top Courses Offered by Universities in Ireland
Universities in Ireland provide advanced courses to international students just like any other anglophone country. These programs help students in getting exclusive job opportunities along with a scope for personal development. The given below table will provide you with more details about these institutions.
|University College of Dublin||Belfield||Veterinary Science, Nursing, Library and Information Management|
|Trinity College Dublin||College Green||Physical Science, Mathematics, Statistics|
|National University of Ireland||Galway||Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Business Analytics|
|University College Cork||Cork||Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Computer Science|
|University of Limerick||Limerick||MBA, Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering|
|Maynooth University||Maynooth, Co. Kildare||Accounting, Anthropology, Astrophysics|
|Dublin Institute of Technology||Portobello||Banking and Finance, Applied Accounting|
Also Read: MS in Ireland: A complete Guide
Public Universities in Ireland
Here is a complete list of the Top Public colleges in Ireland.
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin Dublin
- University College Cork Cork
- Dublin City University Dublin
- University of Limerick Limerick
- National University of Ireland, Galway Galway
- Technological University Dublin Dublin …
- Maynooth University Maynooth
- Cork Institute of Technology Bishopstown
- Waterford Institute of Technology Waterford
- Institute of Technology Sligo Sligo
- Dundalk Institute of Technology Dundalk
- Athlone Institute of Technology Athlone
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology Galway
- Limerick Institute of Technology
Popular Courses Offered by Public Universities in Ireland
As suggested by the list of top Public colleges in Ireland, the country boasts a plethora of technical and business-related courses. Following is the list of some popular courses offered by Irish Universities:
- Business Analytics
- Big Data
- Investment Banking and Finance
- Aviation/Aeronautics Management
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Marketing
- Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
Affordable Universities in Ireland
Here is the list of affordable universities in Ireland, which also has a great reputation in Ireland:
|Affordable University||Average Tuition Fees|
|University College Cork||6500 EUR/year (INR 5,50,421)|
|St. Patricks’ College||4500 EUR/year (INR 3,81,061)|
|University of Limerick||7000 EUR/year (INR 5,92,761|
|Cork Institute of Technology||3500 EUR/year (INR 2,96,380)|
It is advisable to keep in mind that you fulfil all the eligibility criteria, including language proficiency and other qualifying examinations while choosing the intake session.
Usually, foreign universities require proof of proficiency in the English language in the form of exams like IELTS, etc. However, if your Undergraduate coursework was entirely taught in the English language, some universities accept that as proof of English language proficiency. Therefore, it is crucial to go through the language requirement section on the University website very carefully.
Besides the academic and language requirements, international students are also encouraged to pay attention to the Visa requirements of the country that they have chosen to study in. Ireland, like many of the non-EU countries, demands that international students have a visa to come and study in Ireland. Here, the student immigration process is divided into two categories based on whether you are applying for a degree programme offered by a higher education institution or you intend to pursue an English-language or non-degree course.
- Language proficiency scores
- Attested photocopies of the mark sheet from the previous institution
- At least two academic reference letters from the teachers who have taught you recently
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- A brief up-to-date resume
- Four extra certificates of extra-curricular activities
- If you’re applying for any arts & design programs, you must submit your portfolio
- Student Visa Copy
Cost of Studying in Ireland
Ireland is among the most affordable destinations in the world. Before planning your trip, it is important to know the average tuition fees, visa requirements, and accommodation. Here’s the average cost of studying in Ireland for international students:
|Tuition Cost||Average Expenses|
|UG Courses||€9,850- €2,250 (INR 9,00,000- 22,00,000)|
|PG Courses||€9,950- €35,000 (INR 9,00,000- 31,00,000) per year|
|Student Visa||€60 (INR 5,280)|
|Flight Cost||INR 40,000-50,000 [one- way]|
|English Language Course||€150- €950 (INR 13,000- 80,000)|
Is Ireland Good For International Students?
For overseas students, Ireland is a great choice. Thousands of students from all over the world visit the island each year for short-term study and full-degree programs. Ireland rated sixth among the most popular study abroad destinations for US students in the 2019-2020 academic year. English speakers will find it simple to adjust to life and academics in Ireland since it is a student-friendly country.
Is Ireland Affordable For International Students?
It’s possible! Ireland isn’t inexpensive when compared to other European destinations, but you could discover that a semester abroad is less expensive than a semester at your own university. Enrolling directly at the school of your choosing or engaging in an exchange program via your university that charges home tuition and fees at the foreign university are two ways to make studying abroad in Ireland reasonable.
How easy is it to Study Abroad in Ireland?
Many students, including those from the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, do not require a student visa before visiting Ireland. This simplifies the procedure of traveling overseas. Within 90 days of arriving in Ireland, you must register with the Irish immigration authorities.
If you wish to get admission to universities in Ireland then consult Leverage Edu experts to know about the application process. Our AI tool will help you pick a well-suited course and university as per your interest.