UK has successfully gained a reputation as a country of learning and academia and hence it is not a surprise that students from many parts of the world are eager to study in colleges of the UK. In fact, according to the Higher Education Student Statistics (HESA), in 2018-19, there were 4,85,645 international students studying in the UK which accounted for 20.7% of the total student population in the UK. That is a great number indeed! Find out names of the UK universities with most international students through this blog!
This Blog Includes:
International Students in UK Growth Trends Over the Years
According to UNESCO, the UK has been the second most popular destination for international students throughout the years. This may be attributed to the fact that UK education is quite intensive and shorter as compared to other countries which essentially means that you get to graduate sooner!
Given below, are a few interesting growth trends of international students in the UK –
- As mentioned earlier, the 2018-2019 statistics from the Higher Education Statistics Agency ( HESA) show that 4,85,645 international students are pursuing their degrees in the UK. Previously, in the year 2017-2018, it was a total of 4,58, 520.
- The UK Government announced that the number of students who were granted a Sponsored Study (Tier 4) visa in the year ending in September 2019, was 276,889. This has shown to be a 16% increase from the previous year and was noted to be the highest level of Tier 4 granted visas since the year 2011.
- The majority of the international students come from China with a total of 1,20, 385 students enrolled in higher studies in the UK.
- This is followed by India and the US with a total of 26, 685 and 20,120 international students respectively.
- Driven largely by continuing growth from China and India, the total number of foreign students in UK higher ed surpassed 500,000 for the first time to reach 556,625. This represents a year-over-year increase of 12.15%.
UK Universities with Most International Students
Here are the topmost UK universities that have the maximum number of International students:
University College London
Total Number of International Students – 17, 990
University College London, also known as UCL is a public research university which is located in London. It is a multidisciplinary university providing a range of subjects from Medicines to Languages.
- UCL provides a number of faculties to both its local and international students. For International Students, information on healthcare, banking, transportation is provided along with the social and cultural opportunities.
- Guidance on Tier 4 Visa and short-term study visa application, Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) and EU Settlement Scheme is also provided.
- Resources about the academic life in the UK, including information about the academic system, module registration and English language support.
The University of Edinburgh
Total Number of International Students – 12,025
The University of Edinburgh is the most prestigious university in Scotland. It is ranked as one of the best universities for Art and Humanities as well as Law and Psychology.
- The University of Edinburgh provided the facility of Global Buddies which helps new international students to get accustomed to life at the university with the help of the current students.
- It also has ESN Edinburgh or formerly known as the International and Exchange Student Society. It was created to be a social and support group for all students, especially for abroad and exchange students.
- The University also has a Student’s Immigration Service which is available for all international students who have any issue with immigration.
The University of Manchester
Total Number of International Students – 13,750
The University of Manchester is a historic institution and it is very well known for its brilliant discoveries and high-quality research with a global impact. The University of Manchester has 25 Nobel laureates among its past and present students and staff, the fourth-highest number of any single university in the United Kingdom.
- The University offers a variety of accommodations to its international students and proudly boasts of having more than 8000 rooms in 19 halls. The accommodation is available as single or mixed-sex with the option of en-suite or shared bathrooms.
- Although the facilities vary between halls, the students get to have their own libraries, social areas, music rooms and sports facilities.
- Additionally, they also provide Visa guidance to all international students.
King’s College London
Total Number of International Students – 11,175
King’s College London also has an indisputable reputation in the Humanities, Law, Sciences and Social Sciences including International Affairs. It is also one of England’s oldest and most prestigious universities.
- The university provides a number of clubs and societies such as the sports club, campaigning groups, student media and other volunteering opportunities.
- Students also get the opportunity to automatically become a member of King’s College Student’s Union (KCLSU) and can apply for the TOTUM membership which gives students discounts on everyday essential, must-have tech and luxury items.
- The university also has a number of clubs and cafes where the KCLSU hosts a variety of events such as curry nights, karaoke and quiz night.
The University of Glasgow
Total Number of International Students – 8,815
The University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. Its most notable alumni include Adam Smith, the father of Economics and Lord Kevin, a renowned Physician and Engineer.
- The University provides visa and immigration support to all its international students.
- They also provide dedicated advisory services to their students on the matters of finance, settling into Glasgow life and any other concerns that they might have.
- They also offer support and activities to the families of the international students with the aid of the International Family Network.
The University of Oxford
Total Number of International Students – 8,210
The University of Oxford is one of the world’s most prestigious research universities and it provides top-class facilities for studies and research. It is quite reputed in the subjects of Philosophy, Modern Languages, Geography and English Language and Literature.
- The University provided a full-service library and reading rooms which is available for all students and members of Friends for Lifelong Learning.
- A fully furnished and equipped self-catering flats and a licensed bar and common room
- In-house technical support team, and a range of meeting and seminar rooms with hospitality and catering.
The University of Cambridge
Total Number of International Students – 7,050
The University of Cambridge is ranked no.5 in the world and it is also one of the UK’s most prestigious universities. The students who study in this university are the most sought after by employees around the world.
- The main university library contains a legal deposit library that holds more than 8 million books, journals and other documents ranging from ancient manuscripts to a wide range of electronic resources which are available for students around the world.
- The university also has a language centre that provides a great opportunity to all students who either wish to learn a language or continue it. They also hold popular conversation exchange schemes with native speakers and conversation sessions for students to practice the languages.
- There are also religion-specific places of worship in and around Cambridge for those who follow Buddhism, Hindu, Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Sikh faiths.
It is quite obvious as to why many students around the world prefer to study in the UK. With world-class facilities and teaching, the universities in the UK are well-reputed and recognised internationally for their creative and challenging environment that helps students to reach their potential.
Want to be a part of these UK universities with most international students? Then our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you out. Reach out to us today and start your application for the upcoming intake!