To welcome more international students for the upcoming year, Australian government has decided to relax visa norms and bring in more supportive measures to those looking forward to pursuing their higher studies in the land of Kangaroos! The country is home to 8 out of the top 100 universities in the world. Australia is much more than beautiful landscapes; the universities provide a world-class education to students making it a popular choice among students internationally. Let’s know more about how Australia has relaxed visa norms and introduces new provisions and measures in support of international students.
Studying in Australia amidst Covid-19 Pandemic
With more than 90,000 students from India applying to Australian universities every year, the Australian Department of Home Affairs has stated that around 37,000 Indian students were granted visas in 2018-19, a 32% increase from 2017. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has brought some major changes in the education system. Many Indian students have flown back to their home to continue their studies via online classes. Reports suggest that the pandemic will have long-term effects on the number of students applying for visas in Australia. Thus, the Australian government has decided to reform its visa policy to bring more relaxation in student visa norms to attract more international students.
Check Out: Student Life in Australia
New Measures Introduced
As Australia relaxed visa norms, here are the new supportive measures and relaxations brought forward by the country’s government”
- The government announced the recommencement of student visa issuance for all locations outside Australia as well. This means that the students will have their visa and can travel when the restrictions are lifted.
- The requirement for the post-study work visa – Temporary Graduate visa has been relaxed for all the students who are studying with an Australian education provider. This visa allows students to live, work and study in Australia temporarily.
- Assessments like TOEFL are integral for admission in Australian universities, the government has provided additional time to students for submitting these scores due to the pandemic.
- Australian universities are helping the students who were unable to travel back to their home country due to the pandemic by providing hardship funds, food and accommodation, fee waivers, medical support etc.
- The government is also helping students who have been staying in Australia for more than 12 months and are unable to access superannuation due to financial troubles.
- The government is taking steps to protect international students from convictions from rented places.
Check Out: How to Apply for Australian Student Visa?
The pandemic has heckled with the plans of those planning to study in Australia thus the Australian government is taking every measure to ensure that every international student avail a hassle-free procedure. Aspiring to study in Australia? Get in touch with our dedicated team at Leverage Edu who will help you throughout the process from choosing the programs, universities, admission process, accommodation and everything else.