Approaching the stage of life when you would be appearing in externals for the first time? Feeling the fright of answering questions? If you are getting cold feet, then don’t worry. You do not need to exhaust yourself pondering over what the viva questions be like and how would you establish your credentials in the exam because we are here with some of the popularly asked questions that you must be prepared for.
This Blog Includes:
Subjective Questions for School
Be it for Chemistry or Biology practical, from 10th standard onwards, students have to appear for vivas. The concerned viva questions pertain to that subject that the students have studied in the course of the entire year. The viva that one appears for in senior secondary level is based on the experiments that the students perform to test their understanding of the research. Apart from those experiments, the students are also asked several questions to estimate their practical understanding of the key areas of study.
Viva Questions for Higher Education
Admission tutors at the postgraduate level conduct viva or interview to establish whether graduates are committed to and prepared for studying the master’s or PhD level courses. These are less formal than a job interview, but you still need to take them seriously – your aspirations to pursue overseas education could depend on your performance.
Let say you come from a Mass Communication background and you’ve made a documentary on “underprivileged sections of society”. Then you might be asked about the process of the development of the movie, how long did it take to gauge the key aspects of the film or the perspective behind the direction process.
30 Best Viva Questions You Should Prepare in Advance
Mostly research-based viva questions are asked in case of a doctoral thesis wherein the key aspect of the process is to identify the thought behind the development of the specific paper. It is done to determine the knowledge and originality of the researcher and to assess their further interest in the field. Below are some of the most common viva questions.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Summarise your research/thesis in 3 minutes.
- Tell us how your research contributes to knowledge discourse?
- What are the practical applications of your research?
- What is the strength and weakness of your research?
- How does your research help solving the underlying problems?
- Can you explain your thesis in a sentence?
- How did you come up with the subject of your research/thesis?
- What was the source of inspiration behind this thesis/research?
- What is the key idea that is unexpendable to your thesis?
- What contributions are you looking forward to making in this area of study?
- What is the key focus of this research?
- Where can we locate the originality in your paper?
- What are the core areas of debate in this paper?
- What research methodology have you applied to address this issue?
- What were the alternative methods you could have used to address the subject matter of concern?
- Why did you feel it necessary to spend your resources in this area of study?
- What aids did you use to support your research?
- Which pertinent research papers did you use in your research?
- Can you name 3 remarkable research papers in this stream?
- Explain the recent developments in this field.
- How did you come up with these questions you have discussed in your paper?
- Describe the necessary decisions taken in your process.
- Elucidate the process of evaluation.
- Ponder over the strong and weak aspects of your research.
- What is the relevance of your research in the current scenario?
- Where do you think your research can be practically applied?
- Which aspects of your research are you looking forward to being published?
- Give us some insights about the references in your thesis.
- What have you achieved in the process of this PhD?
Viva Questions on Research Methodologies
Preparing for an interview for the Statistician or a Survey Specialist role? Then worry not! Here are the most important viva questions on research methodologies:
- Under which circumstances are quantitative as well as qualitative research methods fruitful?
- Could you distinguish between case-based and observational-based research methods in a few words?
- What is a scientific study and what are its essential features?
- You must have faced some ethical issues while conducting research. How did you handle it?
- What method did you use to collect data?
- Was there any other way in which you could have assimilated the data? If yes, then how?
Analysis and Research Findings: Viva Questions
When it comes to a career in Research, the outputs which you obtain are assessed on multiple factors. Enlisted are some viva questions which will help you prepare in advance:
- How would you summarise your findings in a few words?
- You have used 3 different techniques to analyse the final results. Could you elaborate on all of them?
- Was there any chance of implementing a different type of analysis technique?
- Apart from the topic you selected, in what other applications can your research findings be used?
- Out of the given results, which of the findings, according to you, can be beneficial in the near future?
Tips and Tricks to Ace the Viva
Though the research you do in your PhD is a massive achievement, you need to be prepared for the exhaustive viva session with the experts. This oral examination is a chance for students to discuss their work with professionals. Its formal purpose is to ensure that the student understands and can explain their thesis. It involves lots of stinging questions and conceptually complex debates. How can PhD scholars best prepare themselves? Let us take a look at the different tips for getting through your viva questions:
- Calm down and breathe
- Believe in yourself
- Do something fun
- Go in with a good attitude
- Look presentable
- Read your thesis
- Know the rules
- Make a list of your own corrections
- Make plans to celebrate
- Try to enjoy it
Preparing for the viva questions beforehand helps you confidently answer them in front of the panel of experts who not only test your subjective knowledge but also do grading on the basis of your level of confidence. If you are looking for admission to a university abroad and want to impress the admission committee, Leverage Edu experts can provide you with tips and tricks to ace the interview.