While broad exams for class 12th hit everyone hard, the case is a little more intense for those who have signed up for MPC subjects along with Biology. The pressure of performing best as per personal capabilities blankets most of the students. While subjects like Maths and English concentrates only on theoretical knowledge, subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Physical Education, etc, require candidates to prepare for excruciating practicals as well making this battle a tough one! Through this blog, we will be sharing some tips and tricks which are definitely going to help you in hitting a great in Biology practical.
Marking Scheme of Biology Practical Exam for Class 12th
The theory exam for Physics, Chemistry and Biology are for 70 marks, leaving out 30 for practicals. From the beginning of a session, candidates are trained to ace during the final showdown. Regular classes for the same are arranged by the school authorities in well-equipped laboratories in the supervision of the teacher. Depending upon the experiment, a marking scheme is prepared for the board exam, here is a breakdown for Biology practical
|One Major experiment||05|
|One Minor experiment||04|
|Practical Record + Viva Voice||04|
|Project Record + Viva Voice||05|
List of Experiments
In the Biology practical syllabus of Class 12th, there are numerous experiments which are mentioned. A student must have carried out each experiment ac couple of times, in order to have knowledge and skill to excel in the exam. Leverage Edu has compiled a list of important topics that a class 12th bio student cannot afford to miss while planning to prepare for examinations:
- Collect and study soil from at least two different sites and study them for texture, moisture content, pH & water holding capacity. Correlate with the kinds of plants found in them.
- Prepare a temporary mount of onion root tip to study mitosis.
- Study the effect of different temperatures & 3 different pH on the activity of salivary amylase on starch.
- Collect water from two different water bodies around you and study them for pH, clarity and presence of any living organism.
- Prepare a temporary mount of the onion root tip to study mitosis.
- Isolate DNA from available plant material such as spinach, green pea seeds, papaya, etc.
- Prepared pedigree charts of any one of the genetic traits such as rolling of tongue, blood groups, ear lobes, widow’s peak and colour blindness.
- Flowers adapted to pollination by different agencies (wind, insects, birds).
- Identification of stages of gamete development, i.e., T.S. of testis and T.S. of ovary through permanent slides (from grasshopper mice).
- Two plants and two animals (models/virtual images) found in xeric conditions. Comment upon their morphological adaptations.
- T.S. of blastula through permanent slides (Mammalian).
- Meiosis in onion bud cell or grasshopper testis through permanent slides.
- Common disease-causing organisms Like Ascaris, Entamoeba, Plasmodium, Ringworm through permanent slides or specimens. Comment on symptoms of diseases that they cause.
- Two plants and two animals (models/virtual images) found in aquatic conditions. Comment upon their morphological adaptations
Preparation Tips for Biology Practical
The students must begin their preparation for the practicals at the beginning of the academic session. If candidates will do regular practice, the chances of getting a great score are high. But there are few preparation tips and tricks for the late knowers to clear the exam with good scores. Given are the few tips which will help you to master the exam:
Concepts are Important!
The student must study topics of Biology very well, which are the base of the experiments. It is also necessary for the students to know the correct methodology to carry out the experiments. So students must pay attention to their regular biology classes as well as practical classes because doing so the students can clear the Biology practical exam with ease.
Also Read: BSc in Biology
Follow the Stepwise Guide
The student must note down a series of steps to be followed to conduct the experiment before carrying it out. Because different practical topics of Biology requires a different approach. Noting down in the notebook in advance will help the student to carry out the experiments afterwards. Ensure you know the correct order in which the activity has to be done. Following the stepwise guide is always beneficial!
Practice Diagrams and be thorough with Terminologies
When preparing for the Biology practical exam, students must practice diagrams very well. Students must be well versed with the important terminologies used in Biology and can use flashcards to remember and revise important terms and try to draw diagrams many a time so that they can draw a diagram at faster speed during the practical exam.
Confidence is the key!
During the Biology practical exam, the student must remain calm and confident to face any question provided by the examiner during the examination related to the experiment or anything that is under the Biology syllabus. Being confident enough during the exam is the only way to score excellent scores in the practicals.
Check out Other Practicals
- How to Ace Physics Practical in Class 12?
- Physics Project for Class 12
- How to Ace Chemistry Practical in Class 12th?
- Chemistry Project for Class 12
This was all about Biology practicals of class12th. What after class 12th? Is career in Biology a correct choice? These are popular question that arises in the minds of every individual and finding the right answer can scale your career like anything! To get rid of this daunting situation, let Leverage Edu be your friend! Our experts will not only help you in finding a career that fits your aspirations at an early stage giving you ample time to work towards your dream career!