As the world embraced urbanization, mother nature took the heavy burden witnessing the greener lands getting transformed into modern cities and metropolises. What ensued is a trail of natural disasters, be it landslides or forest fires, signalling us that something is wrong with the planet earth. Pollution is amongst the many things that have gone wrong with our planet which was once greener and healthier than it is now. Working in mysterious ways that often naked eyes can’t catch, pollution is a hazardous phenomenon that is potentially contributing to an array of health issues. As it is a prevalent environmental concern, it is increasingly asked under the writing section in school and college tests as well as competitive exams. This blog aims to help you with the necessary knowledge as well as tips and tricks to draft a well-written essay on pollution.
Related Read: Essay on Disaster Management
This Blog Includes:
Types of Pollution
In simple terms, pollution can be referred to as the contamination of the physical and biological constituents in the earth’s atmosphere. It affects human life and the natural environment to a very great extent. It degrades our natural resources, from the water we drink to the air we breathe. While writing an essay on pollution, it becomes important that you mention the major four types of pollution which are as follows:
- Air Pollution: Air pollution is the contamination of air in the atmosphere when harmful or excessive quantities of substances such as smoke and harmful gases from industries, CFCs and oxides produced by the automobiles, the burning of solid wastes, etc. are introduced into the environment.
- Water Pollution: This refers to the contamination of natural resources of water, due to addition of harmful chemical, biological or physical materials, which includes industrial wastes, oil spills, domestic and farm wastes, pesticides, as well as mining and agricultural wastes, to water resource which make it unusable.
- Soil Pollution: Land/Soil Pollution occurs due to degradation of the earth’s surface by different commercial, industrial, agricultural and domestic activities. Causes of soil pollution also include Mining, deforestation, Dumping of e-waste and other industrial wastes, usage of harmful chemicals such as insecticides, pesticides, etc. which harm the agricultural land and the soil.
- Noise Pollution: Excess of noise due to sounds created by machines, loudspeakers, microphones, loud music, noise from industries, from construction and civil engineering works etc. lead to noise pollution.
Don’t Miss The Chance for Free Career Counselling Session!
Sign Up for A Free Consultation by Click Here!
Format for Essay on Pollution
Before writing an essay on Pollution, another thing students need to ensure is to get familiarised with the format of essay writing. The key elements of the essay format are Introduction, Body of Content and Conclusion. Take a look at the following paragraphs which delve deeper into the details of these features as per a 200-250 word essay:
- Introduction- The introduction of the essay must be on providing an overview of the given topic. For an essay on Pollution, you can begin with a simple definition or thought-provoking sentence and complete it in about around 60 words. Since, it is the first thing the reader looks at, try to make it interesting by adding recent instances and impactful questions.
- Body of Content- This area of the content comes after the introduction and can be explained in around 100-120 words, describing the given topic in detail. So, writing on pollution, you can describe how the atmosphere and the environment are getting affected due to Pollution and list down various ways to prevent pollution. Here the students can list various steps taken by the government, private organization and NGOs to prevent pollution as well.
- Conclusion- Wrapping up your essay, this part comprises of around 50 words. Try to bring a positive outlook on the issue you are discussing or conclude by summing up in a concise way.
Also Read: Essay on Pollution in Hindi
Sample Essay on Pollution in 100-150 Words
Pollution is the major factor playing in the imbalance of the environment. Climate change, global warming, and many other are because of pollution. Unwanted substances when released into the environment affect environment the most. There are many ways we can control pollution, it all starts with a little effort. Taking public transport or carpooling will reduce air pollution by up to 50%. Another way you can contribute towards saving the environment is by switching to E- products. Instead of buying cars that run on fuels switch to the ones that run on electricity. Government should pass more strict rules and regulations. It is high time to come together and end this fight against pollution for the betterment of future generations.
Sample Essay on Pollution in 250- 300 Words
The biggest threat plant earth is facing is pollution. Unwanted substances are released into an environment and leave a negative impact. There are four types of pollution air, water, land, and noise. Pollution affects the quality of life more than any human can imagine. Due to air pollution, even teenage kids have developed various respiratory diseases. Water pollution has led to diseases in children. The waste we humans dump on the land or chemical fertilisers which are put on the land for agricultural purposes cause land/ soil pollution. If the soil quality gets deteriorated due to such practices, the soil will become infertile and no crops could be grown in future. The government has launched various schemes over the years to fight pollution but individual efforts can also play a vital role. Start by replacing plastic bags for shopping with cloth bags, stop littering on roads and stop wasting water are some of the basic things to start with that can lead to big changes in the environment.
Sample Essay on Pollution in 300-350 Words
One of the most critical threats faced by our planet in the present day scenario, Environmental pollution is a global issue affecting people around the world. It is occurring in different forms, whether by affecting the air we breathe or the water resources we utilise for several purposes. Air pollution came into being with an increase in the level of carbon dioxide, with the increase in pollutants which are contaminating the air and causing breathing discomfort as well as skin diseases to human beings. Talking about the other aspect, there is no life without water. In the name of industrial development, religious practices and various other reasons, the water bodies are getting polluted thus becoming unsafe for drinking or for any other use. Due to air pollution, diseases that can occur to human beings are asthma, various skin diseases, cancer, etc. Therefore, it is the essential need of the hour to take serious steps to reduce the pollution to its core.
At personal level, we can minimise environment pollution by taking public transport or carpools to reduce vehicular smoke, avoiding firecrackers at festivals and celebrations can also cut down on air and noise pollution, not using the fertilisers and pesticides which can cause both water and soil pollution, and switching over to organic farming. The government can also bring strict rules and regulation to lessen industrial pollution. To sum up, any type of pollution is harmful to the environment with serious consequences like global warming, uneven climatic changes, etc. The innocent lives of animals are lost due to our greediness and illegal human activities. The time has come to join our hands and work towards preserving and protecting the environment for the present as well as future generations.
Also Read: Essay on Environment: Examples and Tips
Hence, we hope the blog that this blog has assisted you in comprehending what an essay on pollution must include. If you are struggling with your career choices and need expert guidance, our Leverage Edu mentors are here to guide you at any point of your academic and professional journey thus ensuring that you take informed steps towards your dream career.