Group Discussion (GD) is a common methodology utilised by different types of organizations, be it recruiters or academic institutions in order to assess candidates on their analytical reasoning and thinking capabilities. These discussions are generally conducted to test applicants’ logical reasoning and spontaneity as well as how creatively they can come up with probable arguments for a given topic. While the allotted subject of discussion might vary as per the course or career profile, there are some general topics related to the latest happenings and social issues that might be given for GDs. This blog aims to describe some of the major non technical topics for group discussions that you should definitely know about!
This Blog Includes:
List of Non Technical Topics for Presentation
For presentations, there is a multitude of non technical topics from diverse fields that you can choose from. To help you with your research, we have curated an extensive list of non technical topics for presentations given below:
- Covid-19 and its Impact on World Economy
- Online Learning: Benefits, Challenges and Opportunities
- Social Media and Social Businesses
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media
- Communication Skills
- Soft Skills
- Mass Media
- Climate Change
- Principles of Management
- Marketing Strategy
- Inventory Management
- Social Media
- Classroom Management
- Logistics Management
- Natural Resources
- Thermal Pollution
- Noise Pollution
- Land Pollution
- Sources of Water
- Operations Management
- Marine Pollution
- Materials Management
- Radioactive Pollution
- International law
- Air Pollution
- Water Pollution
- Disaster Management
- Child Labour
- Organic Farming
- Impact of Technology on Teaching and Learning
- Internet & Traditional Media
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Food Engineering
- Technology & Medical Science
- Identity Theft
- Cyber Crimes
- Juvenile Justice System
- Impact of Technology in Crime Prevention
Non Technical Topics for Group Discussion on Environment
- Importance of Sanitation
- Air Quality
- Vehicular Pollution
- Swacch Bharat Mission
- Revival of Groundwater Reservoirs
- Shift to the Renewable Sources of Energy
- Harmful Effects of Blaring Music
- Save Wildlife and Environment
- Cutting of Hills and Clearing of Forests to Level the Land
- Usage of Fossil Fuels in Household Chores
- Effects of Dumping E-waste into Landfills
- Are Dams a Disruption to the Natural Flow of the Rivers?
- Should Burning of Fodder be Made Illegal?
- Deposition of Waste in the Flow of the Rivers
- Should Bursting of Firecrackers be Banned?
General Non Technical Topics
Whether it is for group discussion, seminar or classroom presentation, finding technical topics can be quite an arduous task. Before providing you with the titles for GD and Presentation, check out some of the prominent non technical topics you can use for both these purposes:
- Profit is the only motive of business. Take a stand.
- Consumer is king.
- Advances in technology in today’s world – boon or bane?
- Hyper competition has killed the telecom industry.
- Depreciation of rupee: boon/ bane for the economy?
- Criticism – is it good or bad?
- FDI in Retail – Advantages & Disadvantages
- Women’s empowerment leads to social development.
- Online Social Networking is a parallel world. Do you agree?
- Role of media in the digital era.
- Green Technology
- Future of Technology
- Technologies are a core strength of the nation.
- Same-sex marriage
- Driving and restraining forces impact global integration and international marketing.
- What does the future hold for global governance?
- Organic Farming
- How is Artificial Intelligence changing businesses?
- Social Media & Privacy
- Social Literacy Skills
- Implications of Citizenship Amendment Act, 2019 in India
Being aware of the ongoings of the world that surrounds us is crucial for successfully clearing the GD part of your application process. Some of the major social and political issues are listed down to help you gauge the different types of non technical topics you might get:
- Impact of Social Media on the Younger Generation
- Values Exhibited Through the Different Mediums of Art and its Impact
- Brand Frenzy Culture
- Section 377
- Censorship of Art
- Caste Discrimination
- Female Foeticide
- Rapid Population Growth
- Reel Life v/s Real Life
- Role of Physical Fitness
- Equal Rights for Women
- Single Parent
- Child Marriage
- Gender Sensitivity
- Juvenile Crime and Punishment
- Right to Privacy
- Joint Family V/S Nuclear Family
- Co-ed V/s Girls/Boys School Education
- Man-made Environment v/s Natural Environment
- Role of Media in our Society Highlighting the Media Trials
- Importance of a Psychologist in One’s Life
- Importance of Bringing Taboos into the Public Sphere
- Vitality of Being Self-Dependant
- Article 370
- The Thread of Unity That Runs Across All Cultures and Ethnicities
- Should Steps be Taken to Solve the Problem of Students Having to Carry Heavy Bags
- Should Basic Requirements to Become a Politician be Revised?
- Should Mobile Phones be Allowed in Schools?
- What Does a Uniform in an Institution Represent?
Other recurrent debates that happen in GDs are related to economic issues on national as well as global level. Take a look at the following non technical topics for group discussion under the domain of Economics:
- Goods and Services Tax (GS)
- Offshoots of Demonetization
- How safe are Digital Transactions?
- Impact of COVID on Economy
- Economic Reforms
- Would Aadhar be Successful in Replacing the Social Security System?
- Dynamics of the Current Start-up Culture
- Real Estate of India
- Wide Socio-economic Gap
- Economic Reservation
How to Prepare for Non Technical Topics for Group Discussions?
A group discussion usually involves multiple participants (around 5-15) and a moderator who facilitates the whole discussion by allotting the topic, mediating it and regulating it in a way that does not allow much of a deviation. Further, he also plays a role in assessing different candidates and their logical abilities based on their arguments, how they are framed as well as their quick thinking and responses given in a timebound manner.
- When it comes to handling non technical topics, you need to be updated about the recent news developments across the globe.
- Further, you should be able to think on your feet if there are topics given under ‘for’ and ‘against’.
- Let the other person speaks and then give your viewpoints.
- You should not act in a belittling manner or try to act superior because how you say it matters more than what you are saying.
GD Topics on General Issues with Answers
Advantages: Fossil fuels are the most commonly used sources of energy in households and it is also the cheapest and most easily available option.
Disadvantages: Fossil fuels are a nonrenewable resource along with being a major source of pollution and global warming.
For: There is an extensive need for land both for increasing agricultural output to feed the rapidly increasing population and for setting up buildings and factories. Thus cutting of hills and clearing forests are necessary.
Against: Cutting of hills and clearing forests caused deforestation, which is a leading cause of global warming. Additionally, it can lead to soil erosion, a decline in biodiversity as increased pollution levels in the atmosphere.
Yes: Firecrackers not only cause a lot of air pollution but are also harmful to people with heart ailments due to the noise they produce.
No: Bursting firecrackers are a means of celebrating a variety of events such as marriages, victory, new year celebrations etc. It should not be banned but steps can be taken to moderate its use.
Good: Criticism when provided in a constructive manner can help us work on our shortcomings and improve ourselves.
Bad: Continuous criticism in a derogatory manner can lower the self-esteem of a person.
Positive: Social media is a great way to not only be connected with your friends and family but also is useful in keeping yourself updated with all the latest news and events.
Negative: On the other hand, social media is extensively used to spread fake news which may have many harmful effects. Also, the cases of online harassment and bullying are increasing day by day.
Yes: Mobile phones are a necessity today. Students can contact their families in case of any emergency or accident that might happen.
No: Allowing mobile phones in school may lead to a student constantly using it to play games or surf the internet while neglecting their classes
The Future of Banking in India.
Rise of Protectionism.
Rising heat waves.
Celebrity Endorsement of Products.
Effect of ChatGPT on Journalism.
Thorium for clean unlimited enegry.
A Topic-Based Group Discussion involves assigning a topic to the group and asking the members to discuss it. These subjects could fall into one of four categories: Controversial themes, Knowledge-Based Topics, and Abstract Topics are all examples of such themes.
Observe the Group Discussion Guidelines
Key Group Discussion abilities include speaking logically, being audible, presenting your argument clearly, and acting as a leader.
Use every opportunity to enter the discussion to further your position.
Read through some sample and actual Group Discussion rounds.
Hence, now that you know the major non technical topics for group discussion, you can start jotting down the pointers and gear up towards the ultimate day of your GD. Whether you are a student going through the screening process of an academic institution or a fresher prepping up for the selection rounds, our Leverage Edu experts are here to assist you throughout the preparation process and ensure that you soar smoothly through the journey of actualising your dream career ambitions.